3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

OFF-ROAD, LIFTED 92 RS CAMARO, how much do ya think?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 04:49 PM

OFF-ROAD, LIFTED 92 RS CAMARO, how much do ya think?

Ok im kindof a newb, have had a 92 RS with a 305 in it, ive had for about a year and now i ran into some crazy *** idea that jsut poped into my head, I saw this pic on the web of a 2nd gen camaro that was lifted say 3 or 4 feet looked totally awesome and everything. How much, in your opinion, do u think it owuld cost to get somthing like that lifted with some nice truckin tires. also what all would be needed to do it? thanks for opinions and answers! heres the link of the site with the pic
http://collegehumor.com/img/4/4x4camaro.jpg
Old 06-10-2004, 05:02 PM

OK, first, you need a blazer chassis
Old 06-10-2004, 05:45 PM

please dont do this to a third gen. If youre actually going to you wouldnt even bother with the amount of work, youd just lift a truck frame and then adapt it to fit a third gen body
Old 06-10-2004, 06:10 PM

thanks

the sarcasm stung abit but thanks doug791 for the input, would any specific truck frame be best suited for this project? so i could jsut go look for that truck and then throw a camaro and then put the third gen body on it after the adjustments and mods have been made?
Old 06-10-2004, 07:16 PM

That's just retarded.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:18 PM

wow, expected alot more maturity from people here, didnt try to offend anyone with this topic lol guess i did
Old 06-10-2004, 07:31 PM

For the love of the thirdgen gods, don't do this!!! besides, i have a better idea: why not a mustang or civic
Old 06-10-2004, 08:13 PM

as for what fram is best, measure the wheelbase of the car

76-91 full size blazer is 106.5"
76-87 standard cab short bed truck is 117"

I can get more if you want, those are off the top of my head
Old 06-10-2004, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by novacaine06
wow, expected alot more maturity from people here, didnt try to offend anyone with this topic lol guess i did
LoL dont take it too personally. Seems to me for the most part third gen owners are VERY stuck in their ways and dont really like the idea of anything thats not specific to the status quo.

As for how you can actually do it, well you really only have two options but the problem is if i have to tell you them then you dont have the ability to do it your self and anywhere you take it to do it will already know what to do but ill ramble for a bit.

The first problem youre going to run into is well our cars are not designed for this. Problems....

You would need to stabilize the hell out of the chassis because all of the stresses from it having that much suspension travel would twist the hell out of our cars

Also everything would have to be 100% custom. I doubt the stock transmission would hold with those huge wheels and what the angels would do to your rear end something custom would be needed there. Plus if you actually want to go mudding youll want a 4wd system so basically scrap the existing drivetrain other then engine and youre going to have to custom fabricate every tab and bracket and weld everything so everything was setup properly.

The suspension work would be 100% custom as well lots of welding and custom fabbing brackets up to hold everything in place.

I'm not sure our steering components would be too happy with being up there but there may be some way to make it work.

Thats all i can think of but im sure thats just the tip of the ice burg and as for putting body panels on a different chassis i have no advice on that front.

It's just basically not done so everything will be completly custom. I was actually watching an episode of monster garage where they built a 600 hp nitrous powered 4wd mudder corvette stingray and it was seriously freaking cool. Basically a complete custom car but the one thing i have to say is if you do it you HAVE to cut the wheel wells open so the tires can fit up there a little bit. Having a body that sits completly over the frame and these wheel wells that couldnt even come close to wrapping around the tire just looks half assed and cheap. They did a good job of doing that in the pic you posted im just not sure why they want their truck sitting as high as it is.

I would probably turn to some truck forums tho and find out what would be necessary to put a camaro body on a truck they would probably be better help
Old 06-11-2004, 01:27 AM

thanks so much doug, really helped, i appreciate it, and im actually dead serious about this project for all u nay sayers lol
Old 06-11-2004, 11:14 AM

It would be easier to use a car that sits on a full frame (older camaro, etc) and just set it on the truck body and adapt from there. The 3rd gen will present lots of extra challenges due to the uni-body design of the chassis. Nothing's impossible, just bring your visa card.....
Old 06-11-2004, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by trackbird
It would be easier to use a car that sits on a full frame (older camaro, etc)
no camaro, ever, had a frame.

btw 90% of all thoes lifted cars, including the one you posted, is just the body sitting on a truck frame. when people do camaros, they usually use a S10 since it works out close.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:08 PM

yeah 2nd and first gen bodys are more common around this southern part of texas so yeah it doesnt specifically have to be a thrid gen, thanks for input!
Old 06-11-2004, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by MrDude_1
no camaro, ever, had a frame.

btw 90% of all thoes lifted cars, including the one you posted, is just the body sitting on a truck frame. when people do camaros, they usually use a S10 since it works out close.
I was thinking the early 2nd gens were still on a frame. I stand corrected. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:51 PM

Being a Jeep fan as well as a 3rd gen owner, I think that would be cool...If you have the car and a 4x4 frame with driveline, some really good welding skills and at least 10k to throw into it.

Quick Reply: OFF-ROAD, LIFTED 92 RS CAMARO, how much do ya think?