3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

newb with tons of stupid questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 01:29 AM

newb with tons of stupid questions.

Ok so first up, I have an 87 z-28 (supposedly) and I have the electric hood flaps. My question is where do the wires go for the flaps? They are cut right at the plug on the hood. Also, how can I tell 100% what my car is? Its a 305 (lg4) with an electronic quadrajet. The dash says its a z-28 5.0 HO but the side graphics just have the stripes. The rear bumper just says camaro and the only ground effects on the car are on the front bumper. It doesn't have brackets where the rest of them should be. I've ran the Vin and found that in 87 they did make a z-28 with the lg4 and a quadrajet but they also made an "lt" I believe with the same setup. I'm just lost on the matter and any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:30 AM

Re: newb with tons of stupid questions.

try

www.thirdgen.org

You will find a ton more information over there then you ever will on here about your car.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:24 AM

No Camaro ever came with electric hood flaps.

The 82-83 cars with the Crossfire engine had vacuum operated panels in the composite hood. 85-90 cars got some black plastic louvers/slats that were not functional with a steel hood. 91-92 got the power bulges. The only electric plug or harness that would go to the hood is for the underhood light.

From the rest of your post, it sounds like you've got a hacked up nightmare. Can you post up some pictures? Maybe we can help identify what you've got!
Old 04-19-2011, 02:26 PM

Look at the Trim tag. Should be in front of the radiator. Decode that and it will tell you if it was a z28 or the like along with a bit of other information. Or if By some chance you have an RPO code sheet still in the car, you can check that.

By the looks of things. you have a standard z28 if anything, as the LG4 was in it. the HO engine was the LB9 engine. The Lg4 engine was the same engine they used in the Camaro LT Cars (The berlinetta replacement). So overall it looks like it is a pieced together car. LG4 was the low end of the v8 engines offered at that time.

As far as the car. does it have the z28 ground effects?

Like I said, if you have get your Trim tag decoded, that will tell you what the car was, your insurance company should be able to take the vin number and tell you what the car is as well. (At least progressive can, as I have 3 camaros, and all are identified as either coupe, z28 or berlinetta.) Not to uncommon to have the interiors switched out in cars of that age though it seems.

Oh, and like mentioned, there was never any electric hood flaps. That would go to your underhood light. Last year where they had the actual holes in the hood was in '84. A set of metal plugs were screwed in to block the airflow however.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:50 PM

I appreciate the help and I'll check the tags to see what I've got. But I can assure you that I've got some sort of electric hood flap. Ill get a pic on break but I've seen what you're talking about with the light but that's not where this plug came from. There is an electric actuator that opens and closes the flaps. My plug for it had cut wires and 1 was missing. I repaired the plug itself but I don't know where these wires go. If I an get these pics up maybe someone will believe me. So far everybody has told me that what I was looking at doesn't exist and I would love to show them that I'm not crazy lol.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:45 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

Closed.

Name:  2011-04-19_19-35-42_630.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  41.2 KB

Open.

The underside pic will be up shortly
Old 04-19-2011, 10:43 PM

Get a pic of the engine while you are at it. I am curious as to how the "flaps" interact with the air cleaner assembly.

I have a few restoration books for the thirdgens right from GM, and none of them have ever, ever had electric flaps. Only the vacuum actuated ones. Perhaps someone took a hood off of a crossfire equiped car and modified it for use with a small electric servo. So certainly not be difficult to do.

As far as the wire goes, best way to fgure that out is to follow the wires. Should not be to difficult really.

(that hood looks a whole lot like the one on my 84 z28. the only difference there is that I have plates that screw into the hood to block the airflow into the holes, where yours has flaps.)

Look forward to seeing what you have there, since it should not exists on an 87 for certain.

Last edited by Angelis83LT; 04-19-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:19 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

Bottom of the hood.

[IMG][/IMG]

This one might not help. But if you open the flaps manually and look inside, you can see the top of the air cleaner. The wires go nowhere, they were cut at the plug on the hood. Btw, by no means am I claiming this to be original.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:26 PM

Actually if you look at the top pic, slightly to the right of the light, you can see the little plug. Its just a power and a ground. Let me know if you can find anything about it please.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:52 AM

That to the best guess I can make is a crossfire hood. So that is new. I never have seen an electric servo type flap mechanisim for the flaps, it was always vacuum so it would open alot like the secondaries on a vacuum secondary on a carb.

So was probably bought by the previous owner and the controls were never brought over for the flaps.

As far as your question on what the car is, the tag/ rpo code is really the only way to find out. The VIN will only say it is a "camaro sport coupe" (FP) in position 4\5. However, I am betting the decals came off a different car just like the hood. Doing a Little more looking it does not appear that in 1987 there was a z28 HO car.

1987 Camaro Base Convertible
1987 Camaro Z28 & IROC-Z Convertible
1987 Camaro Type LT
1987 Camaro RS
1987 Camaro Z28 & IROC-Z
1987 Camaro Z28 Coupe
1987 Camaro Base Coupe

Those were the only production camaros in 1987. The Z28 & Iroc was what people call just the "Iroc". or "Iroc z28" There was no designation for the HO, unlike in a few other years like 1984 when there was actually a Z28 designation which used the L69 HO engine code engine rather than the LG4.

So the hood would have come off an 1982 car by best guess. the HO stuff would have had to come off a car between the years of 1983-1986.

Sounds like someone put it back together. But the only way it would have the HO stuff from the factory is if it had an L69 HO engine in it. (was the only engine package which allowed for the z28 HO decals) That engine designation does not exsist in 1987.

I know The 1983 camaro berlinetta (type LT) I have is kinda like that. Although I ussually take all badges off (Since well... I do not like them lol).

Last edited by Angelis83LT; 04-20-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:04 AM

That actually makes a lot of sense (all things considered) so my next question is where should I wire this flap to? And would you happen to know if its anything other than a regular 12 volt circuit? In other words can I just be lazy and make an "on off" swith for it?
Old 04-20-2011, 12:38 PM

Well. I would say to look at the motor to make sure it was 12v, however if it was in the hood, the chances are pretty darn likely. You could wire up a on off switch to it. that will let them open. the only bugger you will have is it will not really do much for you. especially if it is raining. (water getting into the air filter is generally not a good thing. now, if you had a custom air cleaner to take advantage of it without allowing water to get sucked into the air cleaner, then it would be useful, maybe...
Old 04-20-2011, 11:02 PM

The Z28 & Iroc was what people call just the "Iroc". or "Iroc z28"

Why would people call a z-28 and iroc if it wasn't. In 1987 you could buy just a z-28 or a z-28 with the iroc-z package. A standard z-28 was different in appearance than an iroc. Such as wheels, fog lights, graphics, etc. Not all z-28's were iroc's. That did not start until 1988.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:04 PM

I tried to quote a few posts above but I couldn't figure out how to quote one sentence.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:17 AM

Dang, I haven't seen electric flaps in a long time. I actually have the original electric solenoid off one old car, I'll have to dig it up and check the part number, that should be interesting. Cannot remember, however, whether it came off a Z28 or a Firebird, sorry.

Also, the electric hood opening was connected to a vacuum switch, though the oil pressure and cold override switches. At WOT and with engine running and warmed up, the flaps would open and introduce cool air directly to the air cleaner.
diagram here

Lou

Quick Reply: newb with tons of stupid questions.