3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

new skools pull so hard compared to third gens

Old 07-06-2004, 01:59 PM

new skools pull so hard compared to third gens

i got a question, it may be dumb but i was wondering the other day i was with my friend in his 00 ss camaro and from a dead stop he pulles so hard off the line that i can't even sit up in my seat and the car is an auotmatic.

now i have an 89 gta with the same amount if not more torque to the rear wheels than he does and it's not the same effect. also i've noticed and maybe it's just my tranny but when you go full throttle in his car it goes about 500 rpms past redline in every shift. my gta does not even reach redline until i'm in my last gear. in which the motor sounds like it has more power but will not down shift unless i come all the way off the throttle.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:30 PM

You may have more peak torque than him but he'll have more average torque over a wider power band.

Plus it helps when he has 100 hp more than you, assuming both cars are stock.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:56 PM

I could go on an on about the 10 year technology difference, the much better designed everything on that engine, etc etc.

Or, I could just say LS1

Want to feel better? Go compare your 89 GTA to the 350ci Camaro from 1978. You'll feel better
Old 07-06-2004, 07:08 PM

For a 1/5 of the amount of money he blew on his bloated, misproportioned cat-fish mobile you could dust him... Make some upgrades...
Old 07-06-2004, 07:37 PM

modded still not enough

i have modded my car a lot in the last weeks hooker headers,true duels with borla catback, slp ram air, full tune up, posi, hypertech chip,1.6 roller rockers,bbk throttle body and i can hang with him on the freewAY but when were from a dead stop he just blows me out the water his only changes is k/n and flowmasters
Old 07-06-2004, 08:03 PM
Banned

The hookers will help some but the rest of them either don't do anything (exhaust, ram air, tune up, Hyperjunk) or fall into the mismatched catagory(rocker arms , TB) Taking a part from here, there and the other will not really show it's full potential. You need a system where everything complements the other. You also need an intake that works better than the stock one and if you needed a chip, get a truely custom one and not one someone had on the shelf that was just waiting for you.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:05 PM

u wana beat him ur gonna need mor ethan a set of headers,

gears,working tranny with a same stall will help off the line (2400stall should be good or even a 3k stall)

a good set of tires and a what headers do you have?

a cam will help you out alot and a set of better heads will help out a ton. then get a good prom for the car and say good bye to your freind.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:07 PM

BTW hois tranny doesn'tr sound very good, and nethier does yours. your tranny should go right to redline in every gear, check your TPS, and hows the tranny fluid?
Old 07-06-2004, 09:24 PM

yes and no

what should i check on the tps and yes the fluid is fine but have not changed the filter since i owned the car
Old 07-06-2004, 11:21 PM

Re: modded still not enough

Originally posted by Irocdriver89
...true duels with borla catback...
Huh??!?

Umm, not to be rude, but something doesn't add up here...

(And, if you'll forgive me for being nit-picky, when you're referring to two of something, it's dual - duel is when you've got pistols or a sword in hand...)
Old 07-07-2004, 12:06 AM
Banned

Problem is still that it is not part of a system. you could take a Hogan Sheet Metal intake and mate it to some stock peanut cam and crummy heads and it will suck. It is all part of a system. I'd get a good set of heads and some decent intakes to go witht he headers and have a true custom EPROM and watch your take off. Oh, another thing, are you hooking up at all? No point having all that low end torque if you are hazing the tires.

Also, I have always questioned the true duals as to their scavenging abilty.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:13 AM

Why does he waste you off the line? That's simple beyond explanation. Cylinder heads. You've got the good (or not so good, in comparison) SBC gen. I cylinder head design.

He's got the much later and much more advanced LS1 design, seperate runners, different valve sequence, different runner design. All in all, a FAR more efficient head than what you have.

Yes, other factors are important as well. As alkim said, your engine operates as a team. Every part must compliment eachother for maximum efficiency. You want a bif cam? Get some high flowing cylinder heads. Of course, larger cams most often require higher compression ratios. The list goes on. Everything has an effect on how your engine operates. Sure you may have done little odds and ends upgrades here and there. But you haven't touched the heart of your engine. The heads and cam. Without touching those, you don't have a prayer against him.

On a side note, you really aren't maximizing your output with the hypertech chip. yes, they say they increase WOT performance. But that is pretty much because they alter timing. Not too many off the shelf chips actually touch or alter the factory air/fuel tables that are set in the ECM. Get some heads, a better cam, and tune the PROM's air/fuel/spark tables to suit.

That is why you lose. You want to win? That's your best bet.

Last edited by Stekman; 07-07-2004 at 01:20 AM.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:17 AM
Banned

Buying a Hyperjunk chip is like buying a suit, mail order, where they tell you it makes you look good and don't even ask the size.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:38 AM

ok i can afford to spend another 800 dollars this week. What will that buy me in the world of cams and heads. My dad can do the work, if i buy the parts he does not want to help me unless i figure out why these parts make more power. So thanks alot to all of the help you guys have given me.
I do gain traction off the line, but about second gear he just comes back on me as if i never left full throttle and if i hold the throttle to the floor the tranny will never shift it just holds at 6000 rpms and i let off the throttle and then back on it half way it will shift then i go back to full throttle. Maybe i need a new tranny when i told the guy at the shop he said these 700r4 from this year will not shift if your at wide open throttle. anybody else know or heard something like that about the 700r4.

Old 07-07-2004, 11:32 AM
Banned

I'd say spend the money on your intakes and have the heads ported and maybe later a cam.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new skools pull so hard compared to third gens