3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Need A Little HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 10:22 AM

Need A Little HELP

I have a 87 Camaro w/305 TPI with the peanut cam in it. I am looking for a little more HP Wanted to put a set of headers on it and a cold air induction with the Stage II chip. I also want to remove the smog pump that is on the car. I am being told that if I remove the smog pump that the service engine lite will stay on (don't want that). Also looking for a set of headers that will accept the O2 sensor since I still don't want the service engine lite on. I am also being told that I cant run TRUE duel exhaust on the car. That I can only run a 3" pipe then split in the rear like it does now. The problem at the muffler shop is that the guy told me that he could not run the pipe between the oil pan and frame like it is now. With the Stage II chip will that take care of the service engine lite? Or will I have to have a chip burnt for the car so that when I remove the smog pump the lite wont come on? I really dont want to go through the troble of replacing the cam. The car only has 38000 miles on it. Any ideas on headers, exhaust and chip will help. I am not into hp that much and am only looking for 240 - 260 and I think with what I am wanting to do I will be able to get that. Thanks
Old 07-02-2004, 11:46 AM

Your light WILL NOT come on if you remove the pump....I did it and have not had a single blink from the light....
Old 07-02-2004, 01:47 PM

What do you have against the Emission controls, they don't cost that much Horsepower and result in less problems if left alone.
Also, 1 5/8 headers, hi-flow Cat and a full 3" catback exhaust will result in better performance then your idea.

Chips are open for debate on the mods you make, but in general a hyperjunk stage II type chip is a waste of money.

For your HP numbers of 240/260 depends on how much money you want to spend, and bolt ons are not the cure for a 305TPI.

Last edited by 87DJP2001; 07-02-2004 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:10 PM

When you hit WOT the emissions equiptment pretty much takes a vacation, its just pumping some air
but... all that crap does make a mess in the engine compartment so if your doing it for power then the real truth of the matter is leave it alone, I HATE all that crap and i wish there were no such thing as polution, but i decided to leave it be,
i even have a possible 383 project in the future and will still probably keep that crap becasue i dont know about you but i need to pass inspection every year and the least i can do is have the visual
Old 07-03-2004, 08:24 AM

I was told that taken the emissions off would improve about 10 hp. The key note was that it would improve the looks of the engine compartment. Make things a little easier to work on with that crap out of the way and NO I do not have the emissions test here in GA to pass. Also looking for any other ideas that would help me to get the HP that I am looking for. Do not want to go with a stroker motor because I do like the gas mileage that I am getting now(24-26 mpg).
Old 07-03-2004, 11:45 AM

dont worry about that stuff i took it all off no problems, no lights came on or anything, you should do a buildup from back to front, or your spend more time working on your car then enjoying it, i was gonna build a killer motor for my car but relized my stock rear and tranny where not gonna hold up, but thier is fun things you can do to them when you rebuild em bullet proof, gears are fun, tourque converters, shift kits bigger servos, bunch of stuff you can do, but keep this in mind, it isnt cheap to rebuild this stuff so once your in thier, your in thier and you dont want to go back in thier so do it right and do it strong, just a few ideas
Old 07-03-2004, 01:37 PM
Banned

I took it all out because it gave me more room to work around without the charcoal canister and the pump. Of course, when the pump starts to go, it will make noise and at the age our cars are at, we need to realize it will go. On the plus side, it is weight reduction and less drag on the engine so that frees up some power. It does take power to turn the thing. It is a win-win situation. If you have to pass emmissions, you can easily put it on. I have the HSR and there is no EGR and actually, there never was an EGR since I had the SR intake put on.