3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

mild 305 build up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 12:06 AM

mild 305 build up?

ive got an 89 formula with the original 305 tpi and t5 and limited budget right now. but im trying to get ideas on how to build up the 305 in it right now. i dont want to go with a 350 right now because that would create a whole new mess with the t5 but im thinking im gonna have to rebuild the 305 even though it only has 87k on it. im definately looking for cam suggestions intake mods, heads and such. id like to use most of the stock pieces such as heads and plenum just to keep the cost down and keep it from becoming a project out of control. just wondering if anyone has any built 305tpi's out there and what kind of performance theyre making and such. my main use is street so it has to be tpi and driveable and i like the manual and dont have the cash to do the t56 swap.

thanks,
Nick J
Old 08-19-2003, 02:55 PM

OK, your 3.45 gears are perfect for your tpi engine

All the parts in my sig will work well for you, keeping in mind it is carbed. An LT1 cam from eBay can be had for $30 or so and will work very nicely. Do your heads according to the instructions linked at the end of my sig. Very inexpensive with tremendous payback.

A lot of folks port their tpi plenum in order to get more rpm out of it. This is an excellent idea and will help you out a great deal.

With less than 100,000 miles it is VERY doubtful that you need a rebuild. 305s almost run forever. Probably you need a few gaskets and seals.

Good luck and let me know if I can help you some more
Old 08-19-2003, 03:07 PM

what all is required in the lt1 cam swap? is it a direct bolt in kinda thing or is modifying required?

and also im assuming it needs a rebuild because the idiot that owned it before me swapped over to a q-jet intake and carb instead of the tpi and shortly after it started blowing oil all over the fenderwell and hood out of the dipstick from what he told me. the only thing i can assume is that it was either caused by improper pcv venting type stuff or bad rings. i dont own a leakdown tester and dont know anyone to borrow one from and my comp tester sucks. at this moment im not really sure if the eng needs rebuilding or just the tpi back on it. i figured while im switching back to tpi i might as well make the most of it and get the most out of the combo i have.

thanks,
Nick J
Old 08-19-2003, 03:24 PM

If it's blowing oil that bad, something major is wrong. I've seen ***** change tbi to carb and run it with stock pump. Blasts engine full of gas. If this guy did it with tpi pump....

Tpi 305 5 speed can be a quick car. When I was car hunting for a daily driver, it was one of the combinations I kept an eye out for. Ened up getting an 89 Formula 350 twin cat.

After the cam swap, make the exaust free flowing. Pocket port the heads, cold air feed, and play with the timing. I've seen tests where they ported the stock tpi on 350's and there wasn't much payoff for the money spent. Just do a lot of the little things that don't cost much and you can get it to go low 14's without losing gas mileage.

Is the 3.45 a 9 bolt posi? If so, that's the most desirable of the 9 bolts, and the rarest.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:33 PM

yes its the 9bolt rear and it also has the dual cats and all the other awesome options, as its a factory 5.0l/t5 ws6 car the poor thing just got into the wrong hands and was mistreated, but im trying to correct all of that. the original pump was supposedly removed and an aftermarket cheapy electric pump was put inline but i cant prove that because its not at my house right now and for all i know both pumps could have been going at the same time.

also, i dont have to worry about the emmisions so thats all open too. ive already started to gut the air tubes and such for a little extra.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:40 PM

is there anybody that has a similar setup to this?
what kind of mods have been done and whats it like?

what about compression?

id like to know more about the lt1 cam swap. is there a noticeable sound difference, id like to have a cam that i can hear in the exhaust. is there a better suited aftermarket cam out there that anyone else is running?

does anyone have any hp or 1/4 mi figures on this stuff?

-in a perfect world id just switch it to a 350 with a stealthram, hot cam, and t56 but thats too much for the wallet right now, but who knows in a couple years!
Old 08-19-2003, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by irocznformula
what all is required in the lt1 cam swap? is it a direct bolt in kinda thing or is modifying required?

thanks,
Nick J
If you don't know how to do a cam swap you had better get a buddy who has done it to help you. It is a pretty major job.

The cam will have a bit of a rumpity rump to it but not much. That's OK because lumpy cams do not necessarily a fast car make.

If you do the heads, put on headers and a good exhaust, and install a cam you will have at least 275 hp.

Last edited by Sitting Bull; 08-19-2003 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by Sitting Bull
If you don't know how to do a cam swap you had better get a buddy who has done it to help you. It is a pretty major job.
last i knew a cam swap wasnt all that major or atleast it never was hard any other time im just asking if it requires any MODIFICATION because its not from a traditional small block like ours.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:49 PM

last i knew a cam swap wasnt all that major or atleast it never was hard any other time im just asking if it requires any MODIFICATION because its not from a traditional small block like ours.
If you've done a cam swap before this won't phase you.

The only thing with an LT1 cam is they don't have a fuel pump lobe. But you are running an electric pump anyway so it is pretty straightforward. It's a roller cam and will fit right into your engine. It has lift in the .45x region on both lobes so you won't need to have your heads machined.

Also, people who've done it tell me that they didn't even need to get a chip burned for it, the stock one works fine. Of course you can get a custom one burned that will probably help a bit.

Last edited by Sitting Bull; 08-19-2003 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:02 PM

www.thirdgen.org is a much more comprehensive site for 3rd gens than this one. More detailed forums, etc.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:06 PM

From my personal experience it was a PITA and not worth it...it's not difficult...you have to know how to time ignition and time the cam....but it's mostly time consuming. I'm doing a 350 swap in a week tho so to me it was a waste....
Old 08-19-2003, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by StealthElephant
From my personal experience it was a PITA and not worth it...it's not difficult...you have to know how to time ignition and time the cam....but it's mostly time consuming. I'm doing a 350 swap in a week tho so to me it was a waste....
was that all you did was the cam or did you port the heads put higher flowing exhaust and intake mods? for very little gain?
Old 08-19-2003, 09:42 PM

yes its the 9bolt rear and it also has the dual cats and all the other awesome options, as its a factory 5.0l/t5 ws6 car the poor thing just got into the wrong hands and was mistreated
That was a nice car before dumbo got his hands on it. I hate it when an idiot doesn't appreciate a car like that and screws it up royally.

Good luck reviving it.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:49 PM

The cam for $49.99 on this page will work really well with a 305--and it is brand new

http://www.competitionproducts.com/page51.html
Old 08-20-2003, 10:07 PM

would that work better than the l98 cam its supposed to have now or an lt1 cam?

Quick Reply: mild 305 build up?