3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Making my Camaro... lighter please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 12:03 PM
Banned

Making my Camaro... lighter please help

Hey guys.. me again lol, but anyways.. what is the most cost effective thing to do/remove, etc, to make my Camaro lighter. I am looking for gains in excess of 200 lbs.. preferably 3-400. Thanx all,
Matt
Old 10-17-2004, 12:24 PM

Re: Making my Camaro... lighter please help

Race only or does it have to stay street legal and safe? I could offer suggestions to take out 400 pounds but it would be far from street legal.

Start with the simple things.
Lightweight race bucket seats and remove the rear seats
Remove the insulation/sound deadener from under the carpet or better yet, remove all the carpet.
Remove the front and rear bumpers (not safe for street use)
Cut out the crash bar from inside the doors.
Lightweight rims
Aluminum rad
Fiberglass hood
Tubular front crossmember
Aluminum intake, heads, etc.
Remove all the power options from the car. I had full power option doors. They were 105 pounds each complete with inner panels. I installed regular doors with manual roll down windows. I cut out the crash bar, removed the inner panel and covered it with a sheet of aluminum. The new doors were 75 pounds. Since then I've converted to Lexan, solid mounted windows so I don't know how light they are now.

If it's race only then take out everything that's not needed to go fast. You don't need a heater/AC in a race car. You don't need a radio.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:51 PM

I didnt see this noted, but getting an AC delete box helped lighten up my car alot. Since the AC wasnt working anyway, I completely removed it and found a fan and box on ebay for about 45 bucks I think it was. I think that'll remove about 50 lbs, maybe more. Also, if this car is going to be off road or you have arrangements for inspection, removing the AIR pump can get rid of quite a few pounds. You can reloacte the battery to the trunk. Fiberglass hood. hmmmmm, Aluminum radiator could possibly get you a few lbs. Also going with light weight wheels helps alot because it allows the wheels to spin easier. I'll post more if I think of anything.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:51 PM
Banned

Are there any other fiberglass things out for our car? Like fenders? BTW.. this will be street legal. I have already gotten rid of the AIR.. but I kind of want to keep the AC. I am also thinking about lighter rims. How much do the stock aluminum's weigh?
Old 10-17-2004, 02:00 PM

I'm not sure on the exact numbers, but I wouldnt lst it if it wasnt significant. So far I have only seen hood, fenders, doors in fiberglass for thirdgens. I thought YearOne/NextGen sold them, but I just checked my catlogue and didnt see fiberglass body panels listed, except for hoods. Yeah, no AC sucks in the summer, but if you work on keeping your engine cool, generally it helps at least a little with the heat, like i said, mine never had working AC, so. But the weight on wheels works a little different from what I understand, mainly because it is considered unsprung weight I believe and also it is directly related to how easy the wheels spin. Do you know what size rear you have? This is also something to consider with wheels. The shorter the ration, IE 4.11s, the more it helps to have taller/heavier wheels so that you dont smoke the tires.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:33 PM
Banned

I have a 3:23 rear. I believe it is open, but not sure. BUT.. having taller tires also reduces torque. Good point on having heavier wheels so you dont spin them though; never thought of it that way.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:39 PM

yeah, taler is better than heavier, but when trying to save money.... I know from experience, I have 4.11s that just dont stick to the ground, usualy my 100ft times are *** because its pretty much a long burn out unless i dont mash on it.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:47 PM
Banned

so you have tall tires, or teh stock sized ones?
Old 10-17-2004, 02:49 PM

No, I have stock unfortunately, I ned to get some cashola together for taller tires. It's a tough project because to fit taller tires, you need to make them more narrow and its a tough call to decide how narrow vs how tall, or I could just tub it out.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:18 PM
Banned

Tub it man Or, do to "cashola" (j/k) just fiddle w/ the tires, and not tubbing. THAT will be a freaking project and a half.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:21 PM

I actually know what size tires I would need and would fit because of talking and looking at a couple of pro gas guys, etc. It's still not fun, probably easier to go to a 9" ford and put in 3.73s.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:25 PM
Banned

Hell ya it would be easier.. tubbing just seems like it would be a PITA.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:28 PM

Oh, I just thought of another thing you can do to go lighter. Get the lexan t-tops for your car, instead of glass. I'm not sure where to get these, but it just came to mind. There's got to be someone out there that has better ideas than the ones I posted.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:30 PM
Banned

I ahve heard of those Lexan T's. How much do they go for? How much weight do they actually shave? Does Lexan look crappy? Is it easy to see thru? Is it tintable?
Old 10-17-2004, 07:33 PM

I found this? : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

Quick Reply: Making my Camaro... lighter please help