3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

LG4 Dying on me?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 12:48 PM

LG4 Dying on me?!!!

Im fearing the worst here guys...

after a few WOT runs on the expressway saturday night, i've noticed the car running a little funny... no major signs/symptoms its just a feel of the acceleration issue.

I just went out and checked the rear end fluid and it needed a lot... so i filled it. but while under the car I noticed some oil had collected on the trans dust shield. I had this problem before really bad and after chaning transmissions I found that the rear main was leaking pretty bad. I shortly there after changed the oil and the problem stopped.

This time, its more than the rear main. I can look down from under the hood and see that the oil pan looks WET/shiney with oil and water(coolant). This is on the passanger side, and that valve cover leaks a bit, but i've never had to add oil or anything, so its not near as bad as what I see.

I checked fluid levels last Friday and everything was fine, but I checked the oil level after finding this problem and its down. There is no collection on the driveway.

Also, I noticed at idle the car doesnt spit any water out the cutout, but at any throttle it spits a decent ammount.

is this motor on its way to small block heaven?

If the general concensus thinks its a good time to sell, im selling.

Im thinking the head gasket is going (but the coolant looks decent, as does the oil) or maybe the oil pan sprung a leak??

Im going to get under it probably tomorrow and clean it up nice and change the oil then drive it somewhere and have them flush the coolant.

*my radiator cap wasnt allowing coolant into the overflow tank about a month ago so I switched to some aftermarket one from autozone with a lock on the cap, but it doesnt allow purging either... after driving extensively I always pop the hood and crack the lock to release the pressure/hot coolant. what can I do about this??*

sorry to hit you guys with so much, things were looking great for about a month and now BAM.... problems strike.

-John

PS: when the water was noticed coming out the exhaust the car was running semi-cold and had been sitting for 8 hours previous to startup
Old 04-19-2005, 07:30 PM

Re: LG4 Dying on me?!!!

Ttt
Old 04-21-2005, 09:37 AM

oh really? thanks for all the good advice...

i'll take all that into consideration
Old 04-21-2005, 10:08 AM

Front seal/timing cover may be leaking. It will sling oil everywhere, but generally wont' collect much under the car if it's not major. Try tightening the oil pan bolts to see if that may be whats wrong. I'd degrease the entire bottom of the engine and find out for sure where it's leaking.

If the car is cold, it will spit some water vapor. If your running really rich, you could be spitting raw fuel.

How longs it been since a tune up?

-Shannon
Old 04-22-2005, 02:13 AM

lol... shannon.... funny you are the only one to answer me!!

plugs/wires were done in Nov. '04. Fuel filter, breather filter, and air filter all changed March '05. Oil just changed today. Thermostat getting changed tomorrow along with coolant flush/fill. Only thing not replaced recently is the PCV valve.

After getting under the car today I cant determine if its the passanger side head, of the valve cover, but its for sure pretty bad. Tomorrow i'll get it out and pressure wash the block/pan and monitor it.

you still think its my cap/rotor that's causing my car to sound/feel like a cammed big block at cold idle?? it also runs pig rich when this is happening. parents seem to think it just timing. Problem happened so instantly though, im curious what would've thrown the timing off