3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

knock knock

Old 01-09-2013, 08:09 PM

knock knock

Hey guys, I recently picked up an '82 z28 crossfire injected 305. To my knowledge everything is oem except I changed to ngk plugs, and an msd cap&rotor with 8.5mm wires. It is running better, but there is some sort of knocking. I generally don't enjoy going to the mechanic when usually a little research can go a long way, but I can't figure this out. Plus I live in Ca. so I need to get the car to pass smog before I get in trouble for expired reg. while it's parked. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and if you need some more info on the car, or other details let me know. Also, at the end of the video you see me hold some sort of cable that comes up from the passenger front wheel well. I have no idea what it goes to, or if it is important. The previous owner was a deuch who had the speedometer cable unplugged and a few other things less than desirable. Also the oil pressure gauge isn't working, I believe the sending unit is in the rear of the vehicle, but i'm not sure if that could be an issue as well. Thanks again dudes!

here is the youtube post where I loaded the video, not sure if I could load here or not.

Thanks again guys, I need to get this resolved or gone asap.

305 knocking sound - YouTube
Old 01-13-2013, 08:30 AM

Re: knock knock

Stepping out on a limb here, but from what I can tell on the video, it sounds like it is coming from the drivers side?? Sounds like you might have a collapsed lifter or a weak one. The sound quality makes it hard to tell. You could try some oil additive to see if that frees it up. As for the wire, it's hard to tell, would need a closer look. The oil sending unit should be at the top of the block, on the rear, drivers side of the distributor. Since the mileage is unknown because of the PO disconnecting the cable, you could have tons of miles on it. You might be better off rebuilding it and eliminating other causes of knocking altogether like a rod knocking, but again, hard to tell.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:53 AM

Re: knock knock

Update- when I put it in drive the rpms drop to about 700 and it wants to stall. There is occationally a slight backfire out of the exhaust followed by about 10 minutes of white smoke ( doesnt smell like coolant, no pressure or oil in overflow tank and oil dipstick is clean so I think head gasket is fine) the water temp gets a little high then drops back down so maybe timing or vaccume leak? I added half a qt of atf to the oil so ill see if that changes anything with the "tapping"