3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Just rebuilt my q-jet Carb, need advice, help, and just all around Assistants:)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 02:07 AM

Just rebuilt my q-jet Carb, need advice, help, and just all around Assistants:)

Ok, so I started the day well, I was like "Yawwwwwn" (it was the morning) and I called my mom (yes, I live with her... well, she lives with me, and shes leaving on the 1st, so HA ) and to cut the story on that short, she goes "We're going to get you stuff to fix your Carb with today, oh, and for fronting me some bill moneys, I'm giving you my RX-7" (I pay a large portion of the bills, I'm trying to get my moms credit all cleared up, she got a divorce, messed up everything ) Which my GF drools all over....
So I have an RX-7 now, more money for insurance, but all together, a good gift.

Now onto the Carb
I buy all the junk needed, comes out to 70 bucks, and I put it all back together the best I know how, and it all 'looks' good minus afew things, and unfortunatly I don't have a digital camera, so I will have to explain this the best possible, please refer to http://duzy.8m.com/qjet.html when I mention any part numbers and such, as I am taking it off of that site.

1) Ok, so by the choke part number 360 (Lever- secondary throttle lockout) just sorta hangs there, it doesn't connect to anything, and it freely moves back and forth (as it should) but I assume it connects to something, I am unsure what though, I'm abit worried that it could ubstruct the back two *can't think of the word right now* GRRR, whats the word, the circular things, they open up at WOT, god, I'm a gimp, I can't remember the name of that, don't flame me, I'm tired

Ok, so is it normal for the part (36) to just hang there, or does it connect to something?

2) Part 31 (Holder-secondary metering rod) I remember there being a piece of shaped gaskit there, it would lift the holder up when the (CHRIST I CAN"T REMEMBER) upper.... Things would open (back to, also at WOT), it was far from technical, and it broke off because of being aged, it was in real bad shape to begin with anyways, so I just took it off (well, it crumbled, and I was there to catch it) so what do I do now? autozone, rebes, and pepboys just looked at me funny (and no, I wasn't this stupid afew hours back ) They said that it was probably not needed, but now I don't know what will raise the rods, so if the part I'm talking about is needed, where would I get it? and if it isn't, why was it there, it was an odd job for a gaskit, as gaskets usually seal stuff, and not much else.

3) Part 320 I just don't have on my carb at all, I figure this is also needed, it didn't come with the carb when I bought my camaro, should I look into buying this? as I have part 350 (Intermediate choke shaft, lever and link assembly) that hooks upto it with hanger 322 (Link-secondary side (rear) vacuum break to choke) I ran the carb without part 320, and it worked good, but would it help me if I got it?

I'm sorry for the horrible discriptions, work and life and such have been taking most of my sleep away

But all in all, I rebuild it in less then 2 hours

Old 05-06-2003, 07:38 AM

if i was you i would just buy a new carb!!!!
Old 05-07-2003, 06:47 AM

Choke stuff doesn't matter so much in the summertime bro. The important thing is #72, the idle mixture screw. Don't do what we did the first time and tighten the bastard down. ENGAGE THE FIRST 6 THREADS ONLY.

Let us know if it runs?
Old 05-08-2003, 05:00 PM

Go over that choke linkage again. It's not together correctly. No way to diagnose what's going on with that without seeing it. There's just too much going on in that area. Refer to this diagram: http://www.carbs.net/Quads/M4MC-E.htm

Did you say your secondary metering rod cam crumbled? That's actually more common than you think. Don't bother with the parts store, they won't have it You have 2 choices here: junkyard carb, or goto http://www.carbs.net/quadrajet.asp Scroll down to part number 85-104 about 1/3 of the way down. You will have NO SECONDARY metering without this cam...

No part 320? Forget it. That's only on SOME CC Qjets, and was never installed on an FBody. It's just an extra secondary damper. The front one - which you should have - is more than enough.

Last edited by Marc 85Z28; 05-08-2003 at 05:06 PM.