3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

if you want pics of true duals on a 3rd gen click here

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 08:43 PM
Banned

Something people don't mention is this. Even if your true duals can flow much more than the single pipe, if your engine is not exhausting that much, it won't matter. IMO, the attraction of the true duals is the "rice factor" or to be more polite the "cool factor". Now if someone could hook up a 4 in system and get a certain time and hook up a set of true duals and get a better time while keeping the weight consistant, I might be more convinced.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:11 AM

Comon aklim, now duals are rice your kidding me right??? I said I want two 2.5 or 3" pipes running under my Z28 not a 3 story tall wing on my hatch

<---this was me when I read "rice factor"
Old 06-03-2004, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by Chris`s85Z28
Comon aklim, now duals are rice your kidding me right??? I said I want two 2.5 or 3" pipes running under my Z28 not a 3 story tall wing on my hatch

<---this was me when I read "rice factor"
Its rice to a degree. You want it for how it sounds. Rice put fart cans on their cars for the sound. and technically rice is anything thats for the sake of showing off. But then again what does that make all show cars?? im lost if you have the money and want true duals its the most simple system ever and would be cool, do whatever makes you happy. I still reccomend an X pipe tho
Old 06-03-2004, 09:58 AM

I really can`t belive what I`m reading, now we got a guy sayin that duals are rice to a degree and he`s running true duals and he goes as far as to hinting that show cars are too. I know what rice is, now this word "rice" is being applyed to a performance piece that has be on the weakest to most hard core musle cars, the dual exhust. let me ask you this what if I put a auto meter tach in is that rice? I already have a factroy tach. oh What about my Edelbrock Valve covers theres no performace gains with those and there heavyer then the factory ones I guess there rice too. What about the Edelbrock and Crane cams stickers I put under my hood they must be rice. . I really thought when I put that link up that everyone would be happy since I see people askin about duals on a 3rd gen all the time. I guess not. you know I might be hangin over at Thirdgen.org alot more, which sucks because I love CamaroZ28.com But the stuff I read over here, If I try to stand up for the F-body everyone flames me and god forbid if I say I beat a mustang, I posted that kill that I had against the stang and the Camaro guys called BS on me and the Mustang guys said nice kill, I thought I`d be the other way around , So I post a link and say I want duals and I get it called rice over at thirdgen.org there dual exhust post is a sticky. I have to say you guys have surpized me with some of the stuff you say but nothin even comes close to reading dual exhust is rice.. Sorry for the long post but I`m really starting to lose faith in this board.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:23 AM
Banned

The weakest link on your system is your intake, assuming you have a TPI system.

Unless you are running something in the lines of a stroker big block with a supercharger or something like that, chances are that you won't need more than a 4 in exhaust. Also note that you will most likely lose ground clearence unless you dent the hell out of the underbody to accomodate it.

Sooo, what purpose does the true dual serve, that a simpler cheaper system, lets say a 3 in SLP or a 4 in mufflex, won't? That is besides the sound and looks? Just like a huge wing on the back of the car whicl helps when you get into the 200mph range which we all know a Dodge Neon will most likely not get, it is for looks. Hook up a 4 in pipe in the end and the pipe leading to it is still 2 in, what do you have?

TGO or other places have it as a sticky because many people want to hook one up. I removed my exhaust system from the collectors back and ran it and actually not noticed any significant gains. That is how I know my system is working and not being overloaded. This also explains why I am not going to a 4 in yet.

Last edited by aklim; 06-03-2004 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:42 PM

technically anything that yes is purely for show is what rice is all about. It doesnt make it a rice car but doing things that serve no purpose is what we make fun of ricers for.

Now having said that true duals are so freakin cool. My true duals run through chambered mufflers and are ungodly loud. And i love making a scene with my car so i love it . Cars should be fun so if the sound of true duals puts a smile on your face and you have the money to do it then by all means go for it. Just know you will have no real performance gains over a 3" system.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:00 PM
Banned

I dunno. No real gains, unless you really have that much to exhaust, time and money spent to gain admiration of the other kids. Sounds like rice to me. Just like a 5 in tach in a car that is not using it. Now, if it was for racing purposes where lifting at the wrong point could cost the race, I could understand. However, having one in an auto car without the shift points adjusted and a shift kit? What do you want to call it?
Old 06-05-2004, 01:46 AM

aklim, My intake is not a TPI it`s a Edelbrock perfomer with a crappy Q-jet, Now I want to put duals under my Zed because

1. I`m building a 383 stroker to the tune of 450-500 hp
2. I NEED a new exhaust, I priced out the 3" duals at $1200 a 3" Y pipe with a 3" cat and a 3" Flowmaster catback with a 80 series muffler is $1200 so the 4" mufflex system has got to be insanly priced over here.
3. I like duals way more than the single exhaust
4. If you do it right you don`t lose anymore groud clearance then if you where running LT`s since the collector is the closest thing to the road
5. It sounds SO MUCH BETTER (call it rice if ya want but it`s not rice in my book). and you do get more perfomace over a 3" single and 3" dauls are the same to the 4" mufflex system.

oh and I REALLY think we should get rid of the word rice like T.G.org did, B4 rice meant 3` high wings, fart cans, and body kits. now it`s refuring to Duals and show pieces.

Doug, I`m glad to hear you say you like your duals, I also want my Z28 to be LOUD (number 6 on my list duals are louder) and about that X pipe I want to run one but since I need cats, the cats are going where the X pipe would`ve so I gotta run the H pipe.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:54 AM
Banned

Chris, I took the exhaust off past the collectors and noticed no real gains at the track and I am running a 383 in that power class. I made a few passes with the 3 in SLP then disconnected it past the collectors and there was no real gain.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by Chris`s85Z28
Doug, I`m glad to hear you say you like your duals, I also want my Z28 to be LOUD (number 6 on my list duals are louder) and about that X pipe I want to run one but since I need cats, the cats are going where the X pipe would`ve so I gotta run the H pipe.
An h pipe works just dont run true true duals gotta have something to balance it out. The duals on my care are fun when it comes to making a scene, actually last night i was going to a party and as i drove past the front of the house i gave a little tap of the gas and people inside who werent expecting me to even be there apparently went "oh dougs here". Its hilarious. Although when at some point i redo my exhaust i would like something a little bit quieter. Loud is nice for messing around but it gets old. Also if youre actually going to make near 500 hp even if you do everything you can to make it quiet its still going to be loud
Old 06-05-2004, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by aklim
IMO, the attraction of the true duals is the "rice factor" or to be more polite the "cool factor".
Well your opinion sucks

Compare the price of that above mentioned "custom made Mufflex y-pipe and 4" Mufflex catback" to a home fabbed dual setup that performed identically for a quarter of the cost. To sum it up, the duals performed identically, cost much less, and sound better (you know its true). So why stick to the single exhaust arguement?

From what I've seen on this board I would regard aklim and doug791 as being fairly knowledgable members. To have one claim duals are rice, and the other agree... Now I'm rethinking that knowledgable part.
Old 06-05-2004, 05:54 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Marc 85Z28
Compare the price of that above mentioned "custom made Mufflex y-pipe and 4" Mufflex catback" to a home fabbed dual setup that performed identically for a quarter of the cost. To sum it up, the duals performed identically, cost much less, and sound better (you know its true). So why stick to the single exhaust arguement?
Just a quick search provided me this link.

You can get a good 3 in Mac system for about $300-$400 depending on the tips you want that is mandrel bent with aluminized material, Random Tech for $540 with stainless steel mandren bent tubing, 4 in mandrel bent Mufflex for $500 and 3 in SLP for $400. Any of those will work for less money. Of course, you could go with the Borla system for about $750 which is T304 stainless and mandrel bent.

All the systems I mentioned are mendrel bent systems using aluminized tubing or SS. Any home fabbed systems for that cost considering the tubing material used and bending method?

On a personal note, I don't really know much about the exhaust note because I have never paid attention to it or has it every influenced my purchase decision.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:44 PM

well all those prices are american so times them by 2 and that`s a ball park figure for them over here. once again about the same price as the duals I want. and the only systems that cought my eye was the SLP and the Mufflex systems and guess what they exit on the right side of the car NOT both sides, so right there I`d never put them on my Z28, if I do put a single exhaust on my Z28 it MUST exit on both sides of the car.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:39 AM
Banned

I believe that Borla's system does exit on both sides and are worth every penny of the $700 you will pay because years after, it will still be shiny if you keep the cleaning up.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by Marc 85Z28
From what I've seen on this board I would regard aklim and doug791 as being fairly knowledgable members. To have one claim duals are rice, and the other agree... Now I'm rethinking that knowledgable part.
Some people have such narrow views. Ok listen and listen good. By rice were not implying that its something that belongs on an import sport compact. By rice we are just implying that true duals on the car would be all show and no go for a lot higher monitary cost, we just dont exactly feel like typing that over and over again and as far as were concerned "rice" are performance modifications that have no effect on how a car performs ie 5 foot spoiler or a fart can, all examples of things on imports that are all show and no go.

And to do an exhaust setup properly, ive seen a true dual setup that you can buy on the internet from a custom shop for 1000 american, and is going to cost you 1200+ (i would guess by the time youre all said and done itd come to 1500 unless you get a deal) canadian to have custom fabbed up down here with mandrel bent tubing and i know i could get a y pipe setup for a hell of a lot cheaper then that.

Ill say it again though i love my duals they sound freakin cool so if youve got the extra money to blow then why the hell not.

Quick Reply: if you want pics of true duals on a 3rd gen click here