3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

HSR update

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 10:25 PM

HSR update

Well My husband has sort of finished the install of the HRS in my 87 Irocz (w/350). We have had the car started a few times & Guess what NO OIL LEAKS . We had a few minor gas leaks but it seems that we fixed those. but just tighting up the connectors.

We are getting ONE Code right now & its the Coolent Senor some how it was broken either with the install or the tear down. But we should have a new one by tomorrow.

There are acouple other problems we have to fix before the car goes in to the shop to get the Headers & Exhaust put in sometime early next month. & thats the RPMs are way to high (He thinks its the TPSensor) & figure out the Cold start problem. Since it had a 9th injector. Hes looking at a a Stage 2 Jet chip on ebay from a 89. But I dont know what good it would do over the Hypertech stage 2 that I have currently in the car.

Other than that the car gets up & moves.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:39 PM

VERY COOL to see a project pull through without any major issues
Old 02-17-2004, 02:12 AM

don't get a chip online like hypertech, they're junk ... get yourself a costom prom after you get the headers on. your rpm's might read high because the tach is going on you, or you need to readjust your IAC and your TPS sensor. is it only high at idle, or is it completely off by like a grand or two and seems to be shifting at a higher rpm than before?
Old 02-17-2004, 02:13 AM

don't get a chip online like hypertech, they're junk ... get yourself a costom prom after you get the headers on. your rpm's might read high because the tach is going on you, or you need to readjust your IAC and your TPS sensor. is it only high at idle, or is it completely off by like a grand or two and seems to be shifting at a higher rpm than before?
Old 02-17-2004, 11:24 AM

First of all I have already had the Hypertech chip for a year or two & had no troubles with my car. It made the car go faster & run slightly better.

As for the High idle at one point in time it was running at 1750RMPS. I dont know what its sitting at right now because my husband did so some adjesting on it. I think he said right about 1500.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:48 AM

#1, I'd burn you a chip for free thats way better than any hypertech chip and all you'd have to do is pay for shipping. #2, You need to reset the IAC motor using the procedure outlined over at www.thirdgen.org. #3 get the new coolant temp sensor installed. #4 Get the exhaust on and take 'er for a spin. Enjoy the high end horsepower feel. But, don't expect it to feel as torquey down low. Only drawback.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by RedIrocZ-28
#1, I'd burn you a chip for free thats way better than any hypertech chip and all you'd have to do is pay for shipping. #2, You need to reset the IAC motor using the procedure outlined over at www.thirdgen.org. #3 get the new coolant temp sensor installed. #4 Get the exhaust on and take 'er for a spin. Enjoy the high end horsepower feel. But, don't expect it to feel as torquey down low. Only drawback.
#1 Kewl I will talk to my husband about the chip when he gets home or awake this evening. (he works grave shift & getting ready to leave tomorrow for Japan for a few days)

#2 ok

#3 just got a phone call from Smuchs it just came in. So it will be installed sometime today.

#4 its got to wait until after he gets home or the first of the month when we have time to take it down to a shop. ( he got injuried in a car wreck 3yrs ago & cant do the work)

I know about the lack of low end torque. It will help me with my Launch when we start racing in April.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by krazzycowgirl
[BI know about the lack of low end torque. It will help me with my Launch when we start racing in April. [/B]
1.85 60' time on street tires! At least thats what I got this year. No nittos no DR's no slicks... regular ole coopers somthing or other.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:26 PM

I think my best this last year was a 2.000 On street tires & the only changes in the car was a hypertech chip,vut out airbox & K&Ns in the car.

My best ET was 14.66 Withthe same set up.

The only dif. Was when I ran the 14.66 its was like only 60 degrees (early spring) & the 60 2.000 ft was like 90 off the track & they said something like 120 on it.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:46 PM

Well Ordered a Specialized chip from Fastchip On thursday of last week & it came in today after a few seconds of having problems getting the car started she started right up. But wouldnt stay started. Then we made some adjestments & she was running a little on the rough side but was staying started.

I took her out on a fast 1/4 block run to see how she will do & if she would settle in to her RPMs & she did what I expected her to do. She quited down & ran just fine.

Now we still have to find the Coolent leak that we have & put the sensor in that was cousing us problems. But No codes & shes running. Hoping by next week to have her in to the shop & getting her new headers & catback on.

Race season starts only a week away & I dont think she will be ready. So if nothing else I will race her the following week.

But again No major problems with this install. At lease non of the massive leak problems or other problems I have heard stories about with this type of install.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:04 PM

i wouldn't trust any mail order chip....if the tuner hasn't worked with the car itself your not getting as much as you could out of it and your chances are higher of real problems.

while hypertech, jet and the rest don't really do much for you they change such little things that the chance of problems isn't really there. going with some of these others like fastchips, tpis, etc. where they claim to change quite a bit can get you into trouble.

i'm not trying to scare you, just trying to inform you. make sure before you put some serious mileage that the cars program is checked out locally by someone who knows what they are doing. everything may go alright but you'll be alot happier if you do.

unfortunately working with chips can be a major pita.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:20 PM

although I do totally agree with the fact that every car is different, they are like people.. they look the same, but underneath it all they are all different somehow. No 2 cars are identical and that is why i agree with mail order chips can be a hassle. ALTHOUGH, I have purchased chips from FASTCHIP, 1 for my built up 89 S-10 blazer (stage 2) and 1 for my buddies 87IROC-Z. Neither chips produced codes, the one in my blazer was absolutely awesome, lowered the idle, advanced the timing, raised the shift points and rev limiter, thus resulting in barking 2nd gear.. not bad for a 4x4 4.3. I personally WOULD do business with fastchip but most likely only if i did not have access to somebody or someway of either dyno tuning or being able to send the chip back and forth and being able to monitor and record readings from the PCM so that the tuner could make the proper modifications. Just my 2 cents.

RedIroc... can ya burn me a chip when im ready? I'll throw you some cash.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:43 PM

Well My husband orderd this with out telling me first. So It was not my Choice.
It was a matter of spending $350 for a Chip via Fastchip or spend $500 via a local shop to do it then they charge an extra $300 for dynoing the car & having the car in the shop for a week. Now When I go in to that shop they can play with the chip & it will only cost me $65 Which includes a couple pulls on the dyno.

The why they ask for the information would lead to make anyone believe they know what they are doing.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:19 PM
Banned

My chip cost me $350 the first time which was way back when. Now when I do major mods, it is $150. My dyno? I already paid for it via gas taxes. I find a deserted stretch of road and have at it.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:06 PM

make sure you register over at www.stealthram.com and submit you car and info for me to add to the HSR CARS section.

Quick Reply: HSR update