3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

How do I take the fuel pump out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 01:57 PM

Re: How do I take the fuel pump out?

Did mine twice.. The first time I lifted the car up and let the rear end fully drop. then take apart the exhaust. then drop tank.. going to have to play with it to get the fill neck out of the car. the second time I just wanted the pump gone.. So I did this again. pulled the sending unit out of the tank and took the fuel sending unit to a radiator shop..

http://www.taekwondoplus.org/z28/walbro02.jpg

had them weld a Stainless steel pickup tube with a sock filter, where that pump was. ( in the pic above) I then put back together and put a filter after the lines passed the tank. put Pump where the stock fuel filter is supposed to go.. Used a Holley Universal In-line pump

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...FP/12-927.html

Never had a problem since.. If pump was to ever go out... I would never have to drop tank ever again..
Old 08-24-2004, 10:13 AM

Now that is the best idea i have seen yet. Makes you wonder why GM ever put the fuel pump inside the tank to begin with. Thanks

-Buck
Old 08-24-2004, 11:36 AM

I think I'm going to copy your idea since mine needs upgrading and I have to drop the tank anyway because the fuel gauge has been stuck past full since I filled it up 10 months ago. When you put the pump in the filters location, did you find a good spot for the filter?
Old 08-24-2004, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Buck89RS
Now that is the best idea i have seen yet. Makes you wonder why GM ever put the fuel pump inside the tank to begin with. Thanks

-Buck
GM put the fuel pump inside the tank to keep it cool and eliminate vapor lock, guess they didn't try other locations. Noise was also a concern with external pumps.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:23 PM

Ohh.. It's loud.. Sounds like a little person is underneath my car with blow dryer on high as soon as the key hits the acc. postion. I was told that this position of placing the pump might not be good though.. Holley recomends putting the pump below the tank level.. So that would not be where the pump is located now.. I might put filter back in and move pump underneath the car or just somewhere below the tank, as recommended.. I wasn't a hard mod at all.. Wish I had a way of telling more about this mod.. Did it first to my 88 chevy pickup..It had the same problem of run it out of gas once and the pump would go, 32 gallon tank even at a half a tank she would hit dry spots during driving after the second replacement of the pump.. By the way gas weighs 8lbs. per gallon.. half tank 16 gal. = 128lbs. a pain to do by yourself.. Gotten pretty good at it.. but would rather spend time working on other things.. I hate that feeling of wrestling a alligator (half tank of gas) while trapped between a concrete floor and a car, and trying to get it up and in place.. Camaro or full size GM pickup both are a pain..
Old 08-24-2004, 02:48 PM

yeah i had to do that about 3 years ago, and it was a pain, and i think im going to have to do it again, the car just wont start, it sounds like it wants to turn over, but it won't so we're thinking its the pump.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:57 PM

Check the fuel pressure first.. I wouldn't start this project just because the car won't start.... You will have to check a chilton's to see what the pressure should be...
Old 08-24-2004, 03:02 PM

yeah, im trying to find the fuel filter as well, and can't seem to do that, and the fuel line going into the intake is dry... but i can't seem to find that damn fuel filter to see if its clogged or not. Sorry for hijacking the thread too, that totally wasn't my intention.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:05 PM

Fuel Filter should be under the drivers side DOOR
Old 08-24-2004, 03:07 PM

Fuel filter is on or in the frame of the car toward the back of the driver side ( if i remember right ) and make sure that the pump is getting power.

-Buck
Old 08-24-2004, 03:10 PM

Thats another thing i checked all the fuses and none seemed to be burnt out, electrical seems to be fine, but we'll see.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Buck89RS
Fuel filter is on or in the frame of the car toward the back of the driver side ( if i remember right ) and make sure that the pump is getting power.

-Buck
Not wanting to start a fight but my husbands 95 Camaro, OUr s-10 pick up & my 87 Camaro are all attached to the frame about the center of the drivers side door.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:15 PM

The fuel pump also runs off a relay,it is under the hood, have you checked that?
If you have a haynes book it would tell you exactly where it is at.

-Buck
Old 08-24-2004, 03:29 PM

well its deffinatly not under the door, and it being rainy and muddy, i can't really check back by the tires on the frame real well, ill try to find a hanes or chilton manual and see if i cant find the relay too... thanks for the help guys, hijacking over.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:32 PM

No problem Mike, just glad to help.

-Buck

Quick Reply: How do I take the fuel pump out?