3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Help inside, '87 Iroc Z wtih 350 TPI, what are best mods for it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 03:07 PM

Post Help inside, '87 Iroc Z wtih 350 TPI, what are best mods for it?

My friend is going to buy an '87 Iroc Z with a 350 TPI engine in it (all matching numbers and only 50K miles) and he'd like to know what type of mods he could do to it. I've got a '94 T/A so I didn't know exactly what were the best headers to go with, or best exhaust system etc. for his engine. I also have stock LT1 parts laying around if he can use those also.
Thanks
Nate

------------------
'94 Trans Am A4
367 tire smokin' ponies at my command
Old 07-25-2002, 09:28 PM

First off i would put an air foil on the throttle bodie, then tare off the maf screens, gut the entire airbox (under the air filters), take off all the smog (if smog is not a problem for him to get rid of )

headers:
long tubes- nothing is better then Hooker Super comps

Shortys- nothing is better then the slp 1 3/4 shortys that are coated. The intakes and heads are really restrictive on this engine, i would suggest getting some intake work done to the tpi (tuned port injection) and get some aftermarket stuff. The intake peaces for this cars are expensive. Mini ram cost $1200. Super ram cost alittle bit more then the mini ram and a pain in the azz to put on. Plus there are other intakes he could go with such as the edelbrock lowers, edelbrock runners, ported plenum, ported or bigger tb.

If he just wonts bolt ons then i would go with this; first of all the free mods (gutted air box, maf screens removed, no cat, no smog) then i would get an air foil, afpr, headers, 1.6rr, shift kit, stall converter 2200rpm stall with just the bolt ons and 2800rpm stall with extensive mods. Plus an all new suspension would help also. Shocks, struts, springs, control arms, sub frames help out the cars ALOT i felt a huge difference when i first put them on one of my cars. Hope this helped out alittle bit, sorry for the spelling im kinda in a hurry. later
Bobby

------------------
89' red iroc-z
386 stroker
Mini ram, 58mm tb
30#lbs,255 high flow fuel pump
slp cam, 1.6rr
edelbrock performer heads p+p 2.02 1.60
Hooker super comps, Mufflex 4' exhaust
Ford 9' 4.11 gears, detroit locker, 31 spline
Full suspension
B&M mega shifter,2800 stall
baer rear brakes,line lock
converted to speed density
Ed Wright dyno tuned

89'red Iroc-z 5.7 TPI
t-tops grey interior
free mods, exhaust
Lt-1 convertion in the works
Old 07-25-2002, 10:44 PM

Well most people are on some kind of budget so I wll go along the first couple of mods to do first.#1 heat sucks so dump in a 160thermostat with a manual fan switch.While your working on the cooling system flush the system and put some evans coolant in there.2# you can bump the timing up to 10degrees tpi's like that number.3# descreen that maf sensor and gut the bottom of those air boxs throw some k&n's in there to.4# get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and crank it upto 50 psi.5# you do not need to blow some of your wad with a whole catback yet, so put in a high flow muffler,that will be fine(have gone deep in the 13's with just a muffler and stock piping had headers but still stock piping behind the cat nothing gutted either full smog system)6# to keep your trans living longer assumeing its original put in a shift kit with a trans cooler it helps trust me)7#not really worth any serious gains you can put in a trottle body air foil (there very cheap so don't worry.you get better throttle reaction more than horsepower)8#will add some cost to this one since everything else is fairly cheap, 2400stall converter, if your going to drag race with some sticky tires do this mod if not you can skip it and save some money.9#don't forget a good tune up never hurts.new plugs,wires,cap,high out put coil,new fluids,fuel filterect.10#gears some 373's do wonders for these little pony eaters,not cheap but you can pick up 2-4 tenths in the 1/4.11#I would say headers but after insalling three sets on these cars I say the h*ll with them unless you can do it your self.Get a little mother nature in abottle not much nothing over a 100shot you want to keep those pistons some what happy.For now all I would do for the suspension is put in subframe connecters.Thats it for now,should keep you busy for a little time.Btw all of thes mods have put my 92 into the 13's not deep but just above 13.5 minus the bottle of course.That's a different story.Hello 11's I'll say.Good luck
Old 07-26-2002, 07:21 AM

Is there a page where it shows you how to do all these free mods (I can figure the MAF, airbox, and airfoil ones out but the smog I'm scratching my head, remember I'm an LT1 guy not an L98 guy). I'll tell him to really look into doing the porting or intake and heads before really getting into the exhaust system.
Thanks
Nate

------------------
'94 Trans Am A4
367 tire smokin' ponies at my command
Old 07-26-2002, 10:00 AM

This will give you all the answers. CLICK IT!

------------------
Mike L.

1987 IROC Z 5.7 TPI A4 3.27 Borg-Warner four wheel disc
Mods:
2300-2500 Stall Converter, Shift Kit(GM parts), TPI Specialties Stage 3 PROM, Modified airbox w/ K&N's, Relocated MAT sensor, Gutted MAF, 160* thermostat, MSD 6A, Accel 8mm Wires, bypassed TB coolant, 3" Flowmaster 3 chamber single outlet, custom adjustable cutout, 3" MAC mandrel intermediate, airfoil, ported plenum. !smog, Crane AFPR, Accel rail mounted FP gauge, Harlan shiftlite, 24lb. injectors, Hedman headers, a few others I forgot...??? FINALLY GOT PAINT!!

Check out my IROC webpage!
Old 07-26-2002, 10:25 AM

What gear does the car have? A nice step up makes a huge difference. My car was alot quicker when I swapped the 3.42s in for the 2.73s