3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

goautocenter.com

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 03:50 PM

goautocenter.com

hi there

i think about an engine swap LG-4 to a 350, so iwas recently told the 300HP autocenter tpi would be a nice price possibility. anyone done this ? what do i need to alter ? will 91-92 Camaro exhaust manifolds fit ? headers are not allowed overhere and i was told the stock ones ( 350 ) were pretty good.

1985 IROC-Z LG-4 dyno HP 193, T-Top, 4wheel-disc...
Old 06-03-2004, 05:26 PM

Why are headers not allowed?
Old 06-04-2004, 01:55 PM

for some stupid reason headers are not legal in all states.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:04 PM

Buying the whole TPI setup and the engine will be a costly endeavour. I'd just use the carb setup you already have. It should work perfectly fine with a 350.

If the exhaust manifolds are from a 3rd gen Camaro they should fit fine. The best mod will be to get rid of that LG4 exhaust. It is just too small for the purpose.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by Pneumatic_Tire
for some stupid reason headers are not legal in all states.
Not true,headers are leagal if they have the AIR hook-ups this is why I asked why they were illeagal over there.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:10 PM

If the exhaust manifolds are from a 3rd gen Camaro they should fit fine. The best mod will be to get rid of that LG4 exhaust. It is just too small for the purpose.
They'll fit, but I don't think he wants to try to run a 300-350hp mtor setup with the small outlet LG4/TBI exhaust manifolds. The TPI setup (and perhaps the carbed L69 HO manifolds, don't know), especially the entire TPI dual cat manifold/y-pipe setup should be alot better, still crap compared to headers but hey...

As far as the engine I've never thought the 300hp TPI engine looked that great, lackluster heads, 2-bolt block, nothing special really. About the only plus is it's a roller cam motor. I think perhaps the 330hp Vortec "HO" crate for a couple hundred more would be a nice option... It's a 4 bolt block, has the Vortec heads, etc. Since you'll be needing a new intake for whatever you buy (the stock LG4 intake is crap assuming you still have that...) having to buy a Vortec-specific intake shouldn't be an issue.

Shipping has just got to be murder getting an engine overseas though. I'd check a few places and see what the shipping is going to be. Jegs.com also carries the 330hp HO for about $100 extra over autocenter's price, but they advertise doing overseas orders, so shipping price might be significantly lower with them. Do some emailing around to a few places and see how much you can get whatever engine you decide on shipped for and account for that in the price...

Last edited by Ray86IROC; 06-04-2004 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:38 PM

Well first of all thanks for all the info ! Overhere a lot is not allowed on cars, best thing, parts should look stock. For some parts you get a permit (manufactur company has to make sure it will work with that car, paper work in German!), which has to be checked by law, for example my spring lowering set from Eibach, my Centerline wheels. But for some reasons it is almost impossible to get a permit for headers or brake stuff, which makes me go crazy some time. Once I was told with a amount of money approx. $ 4000.00 it would be possible to get the permit. I am not that sick...

Overhere there is also a difference between GM or "other" dealers imported cars. My car was imported from Canada by the pre owner, so there are some certain things which can be different to an original GM dealer car, for example exhaust, lights etc. . But every car which was not imported thru GM had to pass a single test and finally got a "noise" registration. Then every 2 years all the cars will be checked for rust, brakes, lights etc., that means I have to change my muffler everytime cuz it's a Flowmaster. Anyway there is more to mention, but I won't spend the night telling you that bull****. Engine swap should work, nobody will notice it is a 350, so the 350 stock manifolds should work fine. Autocenter told me just to add an electric fuel pump and use my Edelbrock performer manifold. Shipping costs approx. $ 600-800, but I will check for sure some different companies.

Thanks again, best regards from overseas, I still love the USA and their great cars !!!
Old 06-04-2004, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by IROC-T
Not true,headers are leagal if they have the AIR hook-ups this is why I asked why they were illeagal over there.
If he was in a state, you may be correct.

"Swiss-Iroc".

It's a long swim from here.

I'd think the 350 manifolds would be the best thing to use for your project, based on the "rules" you are working with. The TPI swap is popular. You may make more HP with a carb (get your current one cleaned up and make sure it is fully functional). This depends on what options you have for intakes for the carb. If you can't effectively make the carb work (no legal intakes, etc), then I'd consider going TPI.

Just remember to get fuel hose and fuel hose clamps for high pressure fuel injection hoses. The standard "worm drive" clamps are not the correct thing to use on EFI hoses (and the hoses that feed a carb will not take the pressure).

My thoughts.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by trackbird
If he was in a state, you may be correct.

You are correct ,but my comment was directed at Pneumatic Tires statment about some states I should have been more spacific .
The reason I ask about why they were illeagal was if it pertained to smog ,and there are 50 state leagal / model spacific headers.

Now if you could get that in german he would be able to use them correct?
Old 06-06-2004, 06:40 PM

No problem. I thought somebody missed where he is located.

The Germans call it TUV certification. I'm not sure that applies to his country. But, yes, he would need the legal equivalent (from what he says, there are none).
Old 06-07-2004, 05:39 PM

Hi trackbird

Well, TÜV is not accepted in Switzerland, unfortunately they are even more strict than the Germans !

But does anybody know Sanderson headers ? I was told this could be a nice solution too, cuz it looks almost stock.

Best regards from Switzerland
Old 06-07-2004, 09:23 PM

The sandersons I've seen are "street rod" style headers and look very much like a header, just a short one.

Try here:

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/

Even more strict than TUV? Wow, that's tough. I don't think you'll have any luck with those either. but that may help.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:17 PM

He might get away with the QP1000's they do look like A stock type of exhaust header(manifold)so it might be something to check into. How would you obtain them over there ,or would they be off road only leagel?
Old 06-09-2004, 10:59 AM

I was just told that the QP1200 will not fit, but the CC3, which is certainly looking as trackbird mentionend. Well I have to think about using those CC3, changing every 2nd year for the "MFK" control ( in Germany "TÜV" ).

What about stock exhaust from a 350, where to find used ones and what price range ?

Sanderson CC3 shipping only would cost approx. $150 - $200, so it might be worth to search for used stock ones and check the shipping cost.