3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

F-Body, yes or no.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 12:02 AM

Post F-Body, yes or no.

I am looking at several 305 82-92 Camaros, and was wondering if it is stock, can I get any rumble out of it, and what would be the best upgrades for my buck. Thank you VERY much, I am kinda new to this and havent reved one, to see what kinda power they have
Thanx
Old 08-14-2002, 01:52 AM

*Zips up flame suit*

If you want power, you should try to get a 350 powered car. They have a little larger aftermarket for them and you get a few more horsies for the same amount of money when spent on a motor with 45 extra cubes.

Rumble? yes, get any aftermarket Cat-back system. If you were to buy headers also and replace the whole exhaust system, it would have a VERY nice rumble to it. My car supposedly has a sound all its own.... just sounds different than everyone elses Camaro.

Power? Not from the factory, sorry. The 80's cars were pretty weak. The 90-92 cars were pretty badass. I should include the 89 cars in there too. That was really the first year they were making decent numbers. 225+hp.

------------------
-Brad C?
355ci '89 Iroc-Z Red, T-tops, power everything, A4,New 10 bolt w/ 3.73's
Trans-Go shift kit Corvette Servo,Accel 8.8mm wires,Flowmaster 80 series ,K&N's, !MAF Screens, Hollowed out airboxes,homemade Subframes. Kieth Black pistons 10.3:1, Comp Cams 270H (.495/.502 218*/224* 110*LSA) & valve springs, SLP 1 3/4" headers, TCI 2400 stall, Dual Roller timing chain, 2 3/4" I-pipe.
Full street trim best run:14.799/mph:93/60': 2.02 (last year) New Times to come.
New times: 13.732 @ 99.30 on a 1.878 60'
Pics of the Iroc
Old 08-14-2002, 02:14 AM

Finding one with a GOOD 350 is the best idea. Fuel injection is best for mileage and that's all you can get 350s in anyway. Carbs are much simpler though. No 350 came with a stick though.

305s are very good engines, very reliable. They go forever, or so it seems. With the usual tweaks--cam, intake, heads, headers and 3 inch exhaust they will turn 300 hp. Good enough for you?

You can switch all that stuff over to a 350 when the 305 bites it.
Old 08-14-2002, 05:20 PM

I dont think I am going to be able to afford a Camaro with a 350, there are NONE around here, so is it worth it to get a 305?
Old 08-14-2002, 06:19 PM

Sure! If its a stick shift car you are ahead of the game.(no power being robbed by the torque converter) Sticks are nice and quick off the line. The stock TPI was designed for the 305, not the 350.

------------------
1991 Camaro Z28 350 TPI
106,000 miles and still kickin'
CURRENT MODS
*Sony head unit
Pioneer front and back speakers
1 10" sub and amp
K & N air filter
JET Air Foil
shift kit
1.6:1 rockers

FUTURE MODS
front suspension
Old 08-14-2002, 06:46 PM

What if the car is around a 85 Camaro with a 305 and AUTOMATIC transmission?
Old 08-14-2002, 10:17 PM

Lightbulb

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fbird86:
What if the car is around a 85 Camaro with a 305 and AUTOMATIC transmission?</font>
Look I own a 1985 IROc-z28, that had a 305, tpi, and was an automatic. Check the mileage before purchasing? I bought mine and the 305 died after a year..It would be better to pick up that 350 to get the power you are looking for out of it.. I loved the 305, mine had a small cam, and shift kit, not much..but was ok..but if you really want to burn the tires without power breaking..you need to get that 350..go on ebay and look for one that is already built up..you might be able to find a good buy...i put 3000+ into my motor already after the big main barren problem i had with the 305.

------------------
speed is a question of money how fast do you want to go
Old 08-15-2002, 05:31 PM

Ok, here's the deal. In my freakin town, I cannot find a 3rd Gen Camaro/Bird with a 350 engine. Now the 4th Gens I can find, but they start at $7500+, and I am a poor 16 y/o. Second, replace the engine?, where am I, in this town, gonna find a good 350 for cheap to drop into a car. Probably not gonna happen. So that leaves me with my auto 305 camaro/fbird, since I dont know how t/f to drive a stick at this point and time. So.... If I get a 305, how much will it suck, and how much to make it better. Once again, thanx for the imput.
(BTW, how hard is it to drop in a new engine?)
Old 08-15-2002, 10:19 PM

Thumbs up

Im 16 right now as well and i just bout my 92 camaro Rs about 4 months ago. Its a 305 but still puts out enough power to make those mustang GT's wet their pants. Even though the 350 makes a bit more power.. it also sucks more gas. You are young, as I, and i know gas money is always something im scrubbing around for. (Its football season now and I cant work many hours at my job.)If you wanted you could always do some bolt on mods like exhaust... etc... and tranfer them over to a 350 if you ever decided to go bigger in the future. My car is a stick as well. The 1st time i took it out on the road with my dad i had no clue what i was doing. But it just takes a day of practice until you can get out there on your own. Then by the time a week goes by, you'll be driving a stick like you had been for years. Dont let a car being a stick shift make you shy away from it ( man, its fun to drive ). Remember that you arent going to get your car to full potential in the 1st year you own it. I plan to have mine for a long time and will do little by little whenever i can get around to it. You have your whole life ahead of you to work on your car and make it into what ever you desire. My opinion is to just get a stong base from wich you can work up from. And make sure the body is in good condition... not a lot of rust. An engine is much easier to repair than a full chasis makeover because of the body being all rusted out. And no matter what you choose, have fun with it. Thats what driving a camaro is all about.

Mitch

------------------
~ White 92 Camaro Rs 305
~ Flowmasters
~ K&N Filtercharged
~ 383 Build up in the near future
Old 08-15-2002, 10:48 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by OutLaw305:

You have your whole life ahead of you to work on your car and make it into what ever you desire. My opinion is to just get a stong base from wich you can work up from.

Wow! just had a flash back when I was 16....hhmmm....back in the late 80's I had a 1984 Firebird with the 2.5L 4 cylinder with a stick....that was a fun car...made the V6 guys scared! lol That was over 11 cars ago since I got my 1991 Z28..

If all you can afford is a 85 Camaro with a V8, then go with it! you can make it a cool ride no matter what is under the hood! put a nice exhaust and no one will know the difference if its a 305 or 350....TBI or TPI unless you choose to pop the hood. if you are gonna do that then make sure its clean...nothing worse than a dirty engine bay, no matter what is in it! enjoy, have fun with it and if you are not car savy, get a HAINES manual for the car and read. it doesn't sound like you got daddy forking over the dough for a new one, so you might be doin some of your own repairs and upgrades. "When it breaks..Upgrade!"

------------------
1991 Camaro Z28 350 TPI
106,000 miles and still kickin'
CURRENT MODS
*Sony head unit
Pioneer front and back speakers
1 10" sub and amp
K & N air filter
JET Air Foil
shift kit
1.6:1 rockers

FUTURE MODS
front suspension
Old 08-15-2002, 11:35 PM

Cool

Thanx both of you for the uplifting comments!!
Old 08-16-2002, 07:34 AM

There's nothing wrong with a 305. Just use your head when you buy upgrades. Buy stuff knowing that it'll all bolt on to a 350 too. Meaning, buy headers, exhaust, intake, runners, etc. Don't waste your time on cylinder heads or a camshaft because that crap isn't going to help you if you drop a 350 in later. Buy some nice bolt-ons, then start saving for the 350.

If you intend to upgrade to a 350 later, and you plan on using TPI, I'd suggest getting an 86 or newer TPI car unless you find the deal of a lifetime on the 85. The 85 uses a unique computer to control the TPI, and it is very primitive. If you make major mods (i.e. a 350), you'll need to upgrade the computer & harness, which is a PITA.

------------------
The IROC Homepage
View the Restoration of an 85 IROC
Weekend projects aren't.
Old 08-16-2002, 04:01 PM

Where you live is no excuse.. Your young! the time is now for a road trip with some cash.. I was in the same boat you are in now.. given I'm 21 and I have alot more cash to play with but. I knew what I wanted.. I wanted a camaro that I could make the fastest street car that I had imagined. I didn't car about the motor, One day it would be gone anyhow. All I knew is it needed to be rust free, an IROC, and have T-TOPS. I love t-tops for one. two Irocs have most of the best pieces, rust free, cause I didn't want to buy another one down the road. So I got on www.autotrader.com and looked for the car I wanted. If I had it to do again I probably would have bought this project car someone had for alot sheaper and would be sitting the same place as I am now but none the less. I found her. In Tulsa, Oklahoma. I drove nine hours straight from detroit on a friday night and got thier in the morning. the Guy had four of them. I drove three of them decided which one I liked and made my offer. Noticing how far I drove he took the offer. 2k for a 86 Iroc Z-28 full loaded with t-tops and only 46k on the odometer.
I drove her straight home besides having to stop and rewire the fans to stay on when the car was on and removing the foglights so she didn't run over 200 degrees. I didn't know camaros liked to run at 220. Drove her around fro five months. Took her to the track
she ran the best of 15.86 with one wheel spining and me shifting it manually. Which isnt' bad for a 86 305 700r-4. So just go get it.. I would rather have an automatic.. Manual trans's are so hard on everything behind them you will break u joints and dshafts, and axles and stuff like that. I had my tranny rebuilt and had the 2/3 B&M valve put in and a automatic/manual valve body in so that I can still " be cool " and shift when I want to, but I can be even cooler and drive in traffic without getting huge cramping calfs.. It's a car, in my mind it's supposed to be fun to drive not a chore..

Whatever you do go slow and think ahead. don't want to buy the same parts twice cause you didn't know what you wanted the first time..

Kevin

------------------
86 Chevrolet Camaro Iroc Z-28 Fully Loaded With T-Tops
Mods;
Spohn SubFrame Connectors, S&W Race Car Chassis 8 point Roll Cage, 1997 SS Aniversary 3.42 POSI Rear End with 12" Rotors and 4 Piston PBR Calipers, Balanced Drive shaft... Others soon to come...

Best times before any mods done, Complety Stock;15.6 @ 87mph
Waiting for the tracks to open again to see what I got going on Now!

ntimad8.cz28.com