3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Emergency brake problem!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 02:29 PM

Emergency brake problem!

Hey, my uncle has a 85 Trans Am, We like in Charlotte, NC and he took the car to the BMV to get the inspection because it was past due. Well they failed him because the emergency brake failed to hold the car. So they said it needs to be adjusted. But I have no clue how to do that. Anyone have any ideas or know how to do this? Thanks for your help.

Elijah
Old 09-16-2003, 02:42 PM

I don't know what to tell you but my handle sticks straight up. Anyone knowing of an adjustment procedure let us know!

-Rippin
Old 09-16-2003, 09:21 PM
Banned

BMV? What's that? Anyway, I don't know if it can be adjusted. You see, many people don't use their E brakes and it freezes up so you might have to replace the entire cable because it has frozen up in the sleeve. Anyway, if you are lucky, you can find a cable going from the E brake to the rear. It should come out of the bottom of the car at around where the E brake handle is. You need to see if it is frozen or just out of adjustment. If he hasn't used it ever, it is probably frozen. In that case, new cable is in order. AFAIK, there should be some sort of adjuster screw in it where it branches from 1 cable to 2 cables, where each of the cables goes to 1 rear brake. More tension means the E brake engages sooner and less means later.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:40 PM

BMV.. Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Old 09-16-2003, 09:43 PM

Thanks a lot.. I'll try that tomorrow
Old 09-16-2003, 10:07 PM

Just as said above, check the cable to make sure it's not frozen up inside the sleeve. Also make sure that the sleeve hasn't rubbed through any place either. The cable should be able to move freely with you pulling on it from below.

Before you go adjusting your parking brake, you may want to adjust or check your service brakes first. Cuz if those arent adjusted properly, it throws off the parking brake cable when in reality, it could be fine.

Last edited by joshp14; 09-16-2003 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:45 AM
Banned

I'm assuming they are rear drum. Take off the wheel and drum and see if you can make the shoes move by pulling on the E-brake cable.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:54 PM

After you have properly adjusted the drum brake shoes, you can adjust the brake cable at the "T" where the two or three E-brake cables meet. Once you get under the car and look at this, it will be obvious.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:39 PM

No actually the rear are disc brakes
Old 09-17-2003, 02:47 PM

Well you know what they say...assumption is the mother of all f*ck ups....If they are rear disc then do the same thing. Check all of the sleeves and make sure that none of the lines or seezed up and check to make sure that the linkages at the rear caliper are working properly.

If it's anything like my 95 e-brake cable, you can't adjust the cable...it comes adjusted from the factory. Your's will prolly have an adjustment. Just crawl under the driveshaft and look above it right where the e-brake handle is. You will see the cable go back to a "T" where there is usually an adjusting nut that you tighten or loosen for adjustment
Old 09-17-2003, 04:31 PM

Mines no good either. Adjusted it right up and the brake still does not hold the car. Handbrake only comes up a couple of clicks now but still no good. The adjuster is a bitch to get to. Right up in the tunnel above the driveshaft. Needed a deep socket , long extension bar and a small spanner to adjust it. Good luck.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by Brit Iroc
Mines no good either. Adjusted it right up and the brake still does not hold the car. Handbrake only comes up a couple of clicks now but still no good. The adjuster is a bitch to get to. Right up in the tunnel above the driveshaft. Needed a deep socket , long extension bar and a small spanner to adjust it. Good luck.
If it's still not working right, check to make sure that it slides freely within the sleev and also make sure that your service brakes adjunting links are adjusted correctly.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:24 PM
Banned

Aparrently that car brake is adjustable. But AFAIK, it is adjustable at the tensioner nut only. If your cable is frozen, which I suspect and hope, you need new cables. If not, you have to disassemble the caliper and see what is broken in it.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:10 AM

These cars have the worst e-brake design I've ever seen, especially the disk brake cars.

If you look at the backside of the caliper, you'll see a lever that the cable attaches to. That lever turns a bolt which forces the piston into the brake pad, causing the e-brake to work. The setup sucks, and that bolt can sieze up. Unhook the cables from this lever so you can figure out what's not working. Chances are it's a combo of the cables being stiff/siezed and the bolt being siezed. You can work that lever back and forth a bunch of times to free it up, and spray some penetrant in. I've managed to free up siezed cables the same way. Spray them with penetrant and work them back and forth. Clean the rust off it every time you pull it in either direction, and re-spray it. Eventually all that crap will free up and the brake should work unless the rear calipers are shot (which is also quite possible). Once you get everything working, use the e-brake more often to keep it from siezing up.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:20 AM

Since it's an '85, the rear calipers are locked up. Those years have the internal screw-type e-brake actuation device that is known for freezing up after years of non-use. That's why they don't work and why simply adjusting them won't do any good. The manual cars got the recall on them but the autos didn't sice the tranny can hold the car.

You will need to install the recall kit, available at the dealer, in order to make them work right, Otherwise, it's hopeless. I recommend upgrading to the PBR rear brakes.

Ed

Quick Reply: Emergency brake problem!