3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Electric water pumps?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 06:32 AM

Electric water pumps?

Anybody had any problems or sugestions for electric water pumps on a 92 L98, daily driver, in a year or two will be a 383.

Looking at a proform from jegs that puts out 35+gpm for $140. Its cheaper than most of the others, and I'm not completly sure why. I'm scared to buy the cheapest one, but it looks fine.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:37 AM

Re: Electric water pumps?

A electric water pump would be a mistake on a Daily Driver. One, I want that pump running when the engine is and not depending on the electrical system.
Find for a Drag car which isn't driven daily.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:13 PM

There are a quite a few using the Meziere Electric Pump on daily driven LT1's. My friend has had his on the car for over18 months. It keeps the engine cooler when stuck in traffic too.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:58 PM

Well good luck to him then. Why don't you buy one also if they are so great?? Not for a daily driven street car,
Old 07-30-2004, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by 87DJP2001
Well good luck to him then. Why don't you buy one also if they are so great?? Not for a daily driven street car,
Why the hell not? Mechanical things can break as well and if its wired up well i dont see the problem because if the install is done properly you wont have a problem. Plus im sure if you were that worried you could put a gauge in your car to show you that youre getting pressure at the pump.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:04 PM

Too much touble for such a small gain and the problems. I will stick to the tried and true method.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:27 PM

Electric water poumps will keep your car cooler than the stock mechanical WP at lower rpm, but since the electric WP has the same flow rate at all engine speeds, it will not provide sufficient cooling flow for your engine at higher rpm. This should only be a problem if you road race/autox your car....where it will see longer periods of high rpm use. None of the road racing/autox guys run electric WPs for this reason.

Just some food for thought...
Old 07-30-2004, 08:47 PM

I have been running a CSI pump on mine for year or so now with no problems. My suggestion for anyone running a pump is wire it with a warning light so if it goes, you will know. I have been meaning to find a buzzer or chime for mine(I have a light too) in case it goes.

My CSI cost less than a GM replacement. Plus, I can change it in about 5 minutes now if it were to break.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by 87DJP2001
I do have one, I am just not finished putting my car together.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:41 PM

Daily driven or not, I'd rather have an electric w/p. Both mechanical and electrical ones get worn out or stop working. The electrical one is a ton easier to change out, too.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:33 AM

I've got a CSI electric pump on my blown LT1 with no problems with overheating. It's super simple to change as well, just remove the fans (8 bolts, 2 plugs) and the pump itself (a few bolts and a single plug). No need to replace gaskets or anything. I've been running the pump for nearly 2 years now with no problems except for a broken fuse holder which was an easy fix.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by slimdawson
I have been running a CSI pump on mine for year or so now with no problems. My suggestion for anyone running a pump is wire it with a warning light so if it goes, you will know. I have been meaning to find a buzzer or chime for mine(I have a light too) in case it goes.

My CSI cost less than a GM replacement. Plus, I can change it in about 5 minutes now if it were to break.

Which csi do you have? I'm looking at buying the csi-901c to go on my 400 that gets real hot at idle in town.

Thanks, Andrew.
Old 07-31-2004, 11:43 PM

Andrew, the part number in Jeg's is 170-901. It doesn't include the housing like the one you are looking at. But it is probably the same pump.

Those siamese bores aren't liking the city driving eh?
Old 08-01-2004, 11:23 AM

i'm just curious, how much GPM does a stock mechanical pump flow at a given rpm? I just was wondering so i could compare to a electric pump.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:33 AM

Everyone is hung up on the flow ratings of the electric pumps. The manufacturers want you to get sidetracked by a number that makes them look good. The problem is, a water pump not only moves water, it pressureizes the block. Water under pressure will have a higher boiling point. So, you will be less likley to boil water that is pressurized by a mechanical water pump. It takes 3-7 hp to turn a water pump, you know that little electric motor is not a 3 hp motor, it is probably not a 1 hp motor. It really is not up to severe use. Yes, some of these pumps will live on a daily driver, but they won't keep the car cool very long at high speeds, or during lots of acceleration (such as a quick trip on a back road, depending how you drive). So, yes, they can work (it seems, but I'd not own one) on daily drivers, just remember not to try to run the car to its potential. Here is some info:

http://frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?act=ST&f=8&t=1658&

Quick Reply: Electric water pumps?