3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

difference between iroc and rs

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by DarthIROC
Knowledge is gained through the will to learn. Not age.
Shiet, Im Willing to learn...
Old 10-27-2003, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by DarthIROC
Knowledge is gained through the will to learn. Not age.
That sure is the truth. I'm only 16 Great to some younger kids with sweet rides.

-Rippin
Old 10-27-2003, 09:02 PM

If u want real info and not someones guessing no offence to those of u who know what ur talking about buy the book out of summit it will tell u all u want to know about 82-92 camaros it costs about 20 dollars but will help with the questions
Old 10-27-2003, 09:11 PM

hey my girls hot. you can check her out by clicking website under my post. i picked her up in a 2000 alero and she still dug me. i dont thing it matters much of the car. i was with her for 6 months before i got the iroc. id get laid in both if the camaro had a bigger back seat. anyway someone back on page 4 asked a question about motors of the same sort and why the same motor was faster in an iroc-z i think because most iroc-z came with the 323 posi rear instead of the standard 273 most came with. no i said most you may have a rare setting but that the majority. just think about it this way. compare your iroc-z and your z28 to a 2002 camaro ss and a 2002 camaro ss 35th anniversary. anniversary has 10 more hp (iroc-z came with a few added ponies going from carb to tpi) anniversary has different badges and interior. (iroc has different badges and grapics) and anniversary came with the ss wheels with black inlay( as hence the iroc-z with the 5 spoke aluminium 16 rims) i hope that put it in perspective a bit more but relax like many said we all have camaro, weather there 22.7 secs or 10 secs there a great car. it could be worse you could be driving a honda.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by Ray86IROC
LOL. Well do have one of the better looking IROCs I've seen lately, looks nice in silver...
Thanks man always love the compliments....the freaking car ran me 7 grand canadian and emptied my bank account had to work a year solid without touching a cent to be able to buy her. 86 thousand kilometers and never seen a winter and i love her to death.

Originally posted by Kuruption562
How you know so much about Camaros for being 17?
Okay well theres two things. First of all ive always loved cars but have never been given the opportunity to being exposed to them as i was growing up. Since i got my baby and i have a specific car to learn about i am on the internet almost every night and instead of doing my homework im reading everything i can find about our cars, tech articles, read through a lot of the stuff from mags on the net like chevy hi performance, hot rodder etc. and every now and then ill venture into the advanced tech forum and try to understand wtf theyre talking about. Have found some stuff in there that i actually understood and its been some such cool info some of the guys on here are genuises. But its also things like one day i decided i was going to understand all of the things people talk about related to cam shafts like lsa, duration, lift, etc because while i understanded the very basics i didnt understand a lot or how any of them effected the other. I found about 3 good tech articles and read them over and over for a week because i just couldnt understand it but after reading the articles 100 times i finally got it.

The second thing is okay at the beginning of the summer when i got the car i couldnt have even told you where the intake on a car was. But i happen to have a friend who actually is a mechanic he does his co-op at a shop and worked there during the summer so he helps me with everything on my car. Have had to do a bunch of things like replacing an injector/egr, fuel filters, rear end fluids, just all sorts of little stuff that with a guiding hand allowed me to learn a ton of stuff out of necessity from having to work on it.

And that long winded answer is how i know so much at 17, but as far as im concerned i dont know jack. There are so many people that know soooo much more about cars then me that all i can do is bow down to them and try to absorb everything i can. I may know a bunch but no where near enough.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:10 AM
85_LG4

Does TPI make *A LOT* more torque than *ANY* carb ever will?
And I am only 16.. so I feel like a nobody on this board (lol) but I also like to absorb all that is said by all the awesome, friendly, and genius' people in this Board. I thank you all for being patient w/ a newwbie to Cars.

Old 10-28-2003, 11:58 AM

I'm no expert, and I don't know a lot about TPI or fuel injection in general, but whatever power you can gain with fuel injection, I know you can gain with carburated. The only difference really is cost and fuel economy. I had a 305 carburated in my firebird before the 327, and with just a decent carburator I was walking my buddies L98-powered GTA. Albeit, with a new intake, the GTA would then walk me.

For daily driving, I'd prefer to have fuel injection over carburated, obviously, as you save a helluva lot of gas. However, for anything high performance I would go with the carburated as it makes a lot more power for less money (and hassles).

Just my two cents. I'll let the big dogs respond to this though.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:29 PM
Pro

Originally posted by KnightRider350
I'm no expert, and I don't know a lot about TPI or fuel injection in general, but whatever power you can gain with fuel injection, I know you can gain with carburated. The only difference really is cost and fuel economy. I had a 305 carburated in my firebird before the 327, and with just a decent carburator I was walking my buddies L98-powered GTA. Albeit, with a new intake, the GTA would then walk me.

For daily driving, I'd prefer to have fuel injection over carburated, obviously, as you save a helluva lot of gas. However, for anything high performance I would go with the carburated as it makes a lot more power for less money (and hassles).

Ok so its not about which can gain more power but which can do it and be more effecient at the same time.

IE which one has a later diminishing return.

Old 10-28-2003, 02:07 PM

Exactly. I was getting about 15 MPG, he was getting about 18 for the same power, give or take a car length.

And his also has the cool-looking, shiny tuned port manifold... chicks dig long, hard shiny things?
Old 10-28-2003, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by KnightRider350

im going to respond to this as best i can and hope i dont say anything too dumb. When youre talking about air flow in an engine you have two concerns volume and velocity. The nice thing about tpi is that the air coming through it has a really high velocity but the problem being there isnt a ton of air which results in high torque but your engine cant breathe up top. Now if you had any intake wether its carbed or efi if it flows the same amount of air at the same velocity you should get the same effect. As far as a carb you will probably lose some of the velocity but it is made up for that they are a lot less restrective then most efi intakes and dont have a problem breathing up top. This is why a lot of people like the efi because stop light to stop light you dont use your top end power.

As far as gas mileage again if you managed to achieve the exact same air/fuel ratio and same atomization in a carb as efi youd have the same gas mileage. The nice thing about efi is it handles changing weather conditions better because of the sensors that allow for the air/fuel ratio to be instantly changed but it is still dependant on the computer so it will only adapt so much. A carb on the other hand if tuned extremely well can achieve better gas mileage then tpi the problem is it has no way of adjusting things so if you want to keep that perfect air/fuel ratio you have to keep tuning your carb as the weather changes.

The other nice thing about efi is it is a lot more precise. The way the air and fuel mix in a carb are a lot less precise then happens in efi. Also for racing purposes efi is very nice because you can hook all of your little sensors up to a computer but thats usually a little past most street driven cars.

The cost efficency about carbs is that they have less supporting components then efi so there is just a lot less to buy. I wouldnt go efi-> carb because if you already have many of the needed components for efi its not much more expensive then using a carb and is a lot more precise.

Hope that answered your questions and hope i didnt get anything wrong.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:35 PM

The big dogs have spoken.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:41 PM

actually i wouldnt promise that i said everything right id actually really like some confirmation. Cars are very simple and run on very simple principles. Based on what i know and what i can deduce about air flow thats what makes the most sense to me. But if someone who actually has factual information can back my ideas up thatd be great!
Old 10-28-2003, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by doug791
actually i wouldnt promise that i said everything right id actually really like some confirmation. Cars are very simple and run on very simple principles. Based on what i know and what i can deduce about air flow thats what makes the most sense to me. But if someone who actually has factual information can back my ideas up thatd be great!
From what i read you were corect, though some of the explanations were vauge

And Knightrider, for high perfomance applications you would be doing yourself harm, by not going fuel injection if you could do it. Fuel injection is just simply better. Have a much broader range of tuning properties, and information is more readily avaliable to you through computers and sensors. Where as in most cases carb tuning involve, playing with float levels and stuff till you think you have it right.

Fuel injection can flow one hell of alot more fuel and things to for high performance nitrous and especially forced induction applications.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:59 PM

I just meant as far as the budget build, most-bang-for-buck trick, carburator's were the way to go. Obviously if you can afford it, go fuel injected. I just didn't want to spend more then $500 on my entire intake.

I'm a cheap, poor redneck bastard. Sue me.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:02 AM
85_LG4

Ok.. now I see why TPI makes more bottom end.. the velocity the air enters the engine.. and I know why they suck up-top, they are limited due to their high-velocity.
Thanx for clearing this up.. just one of the many questions that **** me off until I find out the answer.

Quick Reply: difference between iroc and rs