3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Car not running, need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 09:16 PM

Car not running, need help

Ok, well this isn't my car but it is my gf's brother in laws....He has a trans am i am not sure of the exact year, but it is carbed. I know it has the 305 and the digital package.

Anyway, I don't know much about carbs so I figured I would try here. I was talking to him the other day and he was telling me that he was told he needed a new carb in order to fix the problem and I just want to make sure thats what it is first. A quick rundown of the problem is that once he finally gets it started as soon as he throws it in gear(auto) it just stalls. I know thats not very descriptive, but I haven't heard it run yet or looked under the hood. Another problem he said he had was that he would have the gas pegged and there would be 0 response and then all of a sudden it kicked it.

I am trying to narrow things down so I know what to look at. Any help is appreciated.

Also, where is a good place to get a stock replacement carb for cheap, he wants to keep it original because it has low miles and it is somewhat limited.

Thanks guys
Old 06-13-2004, 09:31 PM

Sounds like a good old Quadra-Bog. My carb does that too. (Rochester Quadra Jet computer controlled.) Mine is ok after its warmed up however. Alot of carbs are like that. I haven't really messed with mine yet, just changed the filter in hopes that was it, but it wasn't. Check for vacuum leaks, make sure the air horn is torqued down to spec, and the carb's base plate. Good luck, and let us know what he finds, cause I'm curious.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by Pneumatic_Tire
Sounds like a good old Quadra-Bog. My carb does that too. (Rochester Quadra Jet computer controlled.) Mine is ok after its warmed up however. Alot of carbs are like that. I haven't really messed with mine yet, just changed the filter in hopes that was it, but it wasn't. Check for vacuum leaks, make sure the air horn is torqued down to spec, and the carb's base plate. Good luck, and let us know what he finds, cause I'm curious.
Thanks, looks like I will just have to fumble around under the hood and see what I can find. I am gonna be the one fixing it, cause he doesn't know how to do stuff like this. (The car has actually sat for almost 3 years cause he hasn't gotten it fixed yet)

I will let ya know if I figure anything out.