3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Can a 3rd generation coupe be made into a............

Old 06-01-2004, 08:45 PM

Can a 3rd generation coupe be made into a............

T-Top? Just outta curiosity. Can it be done? I'm thinking no, since I figure the unibody must be slightly different in that it is reinforced along the roof.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:47 PM

anythings possible with a plasma cutter and a welder. ...

is it worth it? probably not.. there are enough 3rd gen T-top cars out there kickin around to rebuild. Its not really a $$ issue, as much as it is a time consuming operation between cutting the roofs in the exact spot, re-wedling it, making sure all the glass still fits, the body lines match up and the body work is done properly. They make it look simple on TV, trust me unless you've been doing it for quite some time I wouldn't recommend it unless you have time to kill and want to learn a lot. Then I say hell, GO FOR IT MAN!

Last edited by OneSickS10; 06-01-2004 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:55 PM

I know of quite a few 4th gen guys who have done the conversion. There is a kit for around $300. They *may* have a 3rd gen kit, idk though. Do some searching on the LT1 board, get some pics and maybe some pointers.

Good luck!
Old 06-02-2004, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by OneSickS10
anythings possible with a plasma cutter and a welder. ...

is it worth it? probably not.. there are enough 3rd gen T-top cars out there kickin around to rebuild. Its not really a $$ issue, as much as it is a time consuming operation between cutting the roofs in the exact spot, re-wedling it, making sure all the glass still fits, the body lines match up and the body work is done properly. They make it look simple on TV, trust me unless you've been doing it for quite some time I wouldn't recommend it unless you have time to kill and want to learn a lot. Then I say hell, GO FOR IT MAN!
money really ISN'T an ussue on this one, you can pick up a kit from between $250-$450 off ebay. and in terms of effort 'camar0guy' at f-bodyhideout did it in a weekend. and as i'm told all 3rd gen camaros came to the dealership coupe style and if you wanted it as an option the dealer would cut and install them. i was seriously considering doing this conversion until i had to sell (selling) my car. if i were you i'd go for it, i've rode in a couple-a t-topped z28s and its pretty awesome. good luck
Old 06-02-2004, 11:30 AM

i world make mine into where the whole rook top removes. i have seen that done on a 4th gen and it was th kewlest thung i have seen so far
Old 06-02-2004, 12:00 PM

you mean targa top yea if i wasn't selling my camaro when i go out to WyoTech this fall i was going to try and do a targa top camaro. it would definitely be unique
Old 06-02-2004, 01:58 PM

If you go to www.thirdgen.org & in their Fabrication section do a search & I am sure you can come up with something.

Last edited by krazzycowgirl; 06-02-2004 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by 92RS305#2
and as i'm told all 3rd gen camaros came to the dealership coupe style and if you wanted it as an option the dealer would cut and install them.
Not true.

Why anyone would hack up a factory hardtop car is beyond me. If you want a t-top car, then buy one.

Eric
Old 06-02-2004, 05:33 PM

here`s one for sale

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...480925756&rd=1
Old 06-02-2004, 09:58 PM

and as i'm told all 3rd gen camaros came to the dealership coupe style and if you wanted it as an option the dealer would cut and install them.

I don't think so. The dealer I bought my Camaro from couldn't figure out how to install the louvers on the rear glass. I had to go down and show them before I picked it up ,so I damn well don't think they installed the T-tops or they would have leaked like a sieve ,and to date there has never been a drop of water come threw.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:18 PM

i'm told all 3rd gen camaros came to the dealership coupe style and if you wanted it as an option the dealer would cut and install them.
No this is not true. I do believe the factory shipped them out to ASC along with the ones that were going to be made in the Verts (87 & newer) to have them done. My Car was Optioned as a CC1 car which is the RPO code for the T-toped Fbodys.

But all cars with CC1 Came from the factory with t-tops.

in 91& 92 then your statment is right. Since there were NO factory t-top 350 Cars out there.

People if he wants to make his car a t-top car let him he is shelling out the money its not like its coming out of your pocket.

Personally all my cars that I own (all but the trucks) have either a Glass top, t-tops or sunroof.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:16 AM

you mean targa top yea if i wasn't selling my camaro when i go out to WyoTech this fall i was going to try and do a targa top camaro. it would definitely be unique
when do you start in end of june or end of sept? i graduate from here on june 25th, after spending a year here... i wouldnt sell your car if you absolutely dont have to, there is so much you can do to it especially if you take chassis fab. i put a 8 point cage and SFC on my car and completely rebuilt my big block for my nova when i was in it. hope you enjoy it, its alot of fun... but asm sucks!

Sorry about hijacking the thread!

*Eric*
Old 06-03-2004, 01:21 PM

sorry guys, i was apparently misinformed. i guess only some of the 3rd gens were t-top installed by dealership, musta been a misinterpertation of facts

and breakthelawinaz, i'm selling the car b/c of legal reasons and my parents otherwise i'd love to teach that old 305 some new tricks. but i also believe i can pick up a car before i leave that'll have more potential, i've been trying to shop around for an older V8 style blazer that can be turned into an offroader

again sorry for the misstatement, i heard something like that from a couple of people and though it to be true
Old 06-03-2004, 09:08 PM

Thanks for the info guys and gals. I never said this is something I wanted to do, but there is that slight consideration floating around in the back of my mind. I got other stuff I need to do to my car. I was just curious as to whether or not this was a possiblitly, and if it could be done fairly easily. Thanks a ton.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:19 PM

i believe the relative answer to both is yes, if you really are considering it let me know and i can let you talk to someone whos done it first hand.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can a 3rd generation coupe be made into a............