3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

breaking in a flowmaster

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 06:14 AM

breaking in a flowmaster

i got my 10 series flowmaster put on friday and i was very dissapointed with it when i first got in on. my car ran terriable and was quieter that it was with the dynomax cat back that was on it before... so last night i was driving back to school which is a 3 hr drive and i stopped about halfway there like i always do to go to the bathroom and streach and then when i started it again to leave it instantly roared to life and sounded awesome... then i started off down the road and it had a noticable power difference. now i love it the true flowmaster sound, im very impressed. now heres my question has anyone else had this issue with their flowmasters? ive heard people talking about "breaking in" their flowmasters but what does that entail? since its chambered and there is no packing how do you break it in? ok thats all from me how bout you?
Old 04-12-2004, 06:35 AM

how the hell do you break in a muffler??

sounds like it may have been something else with your car that was causing problems.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:53 AM

yeah that was my thought... i know with the old glasspacks to "break in" those it just meant to burn the packing out but on a chambered muffleri dont understand it... i dont think thee was anything wrong with my car, it ran fine before that, it acted strange after i put the muffler on but i got to thinking and it might be because i took the computer out and disconnected the battery, so maybe it just had to relearn? but for 2 days? i dont understand but whatever it dosent matter now because it runs awesome and sounds even better! plus it helped my gas milage! bonus!

*eric*
Old 04-12-2004, 10:36 AM

I've heard stories about Flowmasters sounding better after 3 month break in period .
Old 04-12-2004, 01:33 PM

why is that does anyone know... i just talked to a kid who has 40 series and he said a month or so later it got "broke in" and got to its ful volume but a flowmaster has nothing to chane inside it its just baffles welded inside a steel casing? it dosent make sense... can anyone shine some light on my situation?

*eric*
Old 04-12-2004, 04:54 PM

no no this is true, when i first put my flowmaster on i was like yuck, i came from a stock exhaust to the flowmaster, after like a month she sounded much better and louder, but power wise i felt that right away. i thought the stock exhaust was louder then the flowmaster when i first got it, but she rumbles better know.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:40 PM

Breaking it in? Do the metal plates inside somehow .....change? Do they bend? Melt just right? Shrink? Develop "better sound" holes?

I never noticed any change in the Flowmaster's I've owned. never.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:40 PM

From what I have heard, it is your engine adjusting to the change in back pressure. I think It only "learns" when you are in closed loop. So once your engine adjusts to the new backpressure it sould run better and sound better.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:58 AM

so does that mean that everytime that i disconnect my battery my car will have to relearn and it will be quiet and then get louder everytime i do that? that sucks but for some reason i dont think that is correct though, because a friend of mine has a carbd car mustang (i know.. but its his car let me remind you) and he had the same issue with quiet at first then getting louder... so im still not satisfied why it did it.. its just really strange.....

*eric*
Old 04-13-2004, 12:11 PM
Banned

I suppose the only way to tell is to take a before and after sound bite and see if someone can play them back ramdomly and you can tell the difference but I for one have never heard of breaking in a muffler. Maybe you get used to it but that is that. The ECM may adjust to the different backpressure indirectly but I don't think it is that radical an adjustment where you can notice it other than on the Butt Dyno which is inaccurate as all hell. You cannot feel 10HP, at least most of us cannot.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:39 PM

the reason the sounds changes after a couple months is b/c when u put in on,its nice and clean inside (bad for sound) and causes the sound to move around more i think. after a couple months,the muffler gets carbon on the walls and such which helps the flow and sounds better.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:54 PM

Rice Killer is probably the closest to the truth on this. Carbon buildup and heat cycling will both make the metal more stiff which will make it absorb less sound. At least, that's the only thing I can think of. I do know that when I first got my 80-series it wasn't that loud...it has since "loosened up" conisderably and I now set off my fiance's alarm when I crank the car.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:20 PM

Thats kinda odd. My blowmaster was an american thunder series and it was noticably loud even new. After driving it on the freeway for three months, I took it out and gave it to my cousin for his car. Too much resonance at 2300 rpm at 70 mph and the tinny sound just became annoying. Anyway I went to a dynomax and haven't looked back.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:42 PM
Banned

I don't spend that much time listening to my exhaust outside but inside, it has always sounded the same to me.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:52 PM

i love listening to my flowmaster on the highway, it has so much interior resonace,specially with the tops off, i took my cat off and am expecting headers shortly, i disconnected my corney stock radio cause i planned on having a full system in the car(last summer) never got it, but listening to the car has grown on me, listening to the exhaust and watching the gauges. (bad experiences of a first car(ford taurus) that overheated) but its all good

Quick Reply: breaking in a flowmaster