3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Brace on the rear of the car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 06:15 PM

Brace on the rear of the car?

Allrgiht I've got a problem, I've got this brace on the rear of my car that goes from one side of the car to the other right behind the differntial. Now it's not a panhard bar, because well, I can see that in plain sight and I know what that look like. I's almost rght where the panhard bar is.

The problem is that it's crushing my over-axle pipe. I've replaced one already and I just got a new Dynomax one put on today, and it's already started to dent this one a tad.

Basically, I need this brace off! If possible, I was hoping you guys could tell what exactly this brace does, and if it'll matter that much if I remove it.

If you need anymore detail, just let me know. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:10 PM

Re: Brace on the rear of the car?

they call it a "brace assembly" at gm (idk if you knew that or not or cared lol). Mine was lose on my v6 camaro and my rear end would shake all over the place...but my panhard bar was lose too, so that might have been causing it to shake all over and not the brace assembly.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:01 PM

That brace keeps the frame-side mount for the panhard bar positively located and prevents it from wiggling back and forth. You don't want to take it out.

My Dynomax exhausts also had clearance problems with it. I lived with dimpled pipes. I'm sure some custom tweaking of the exhaust hangers and such by a professional shop could fix most of the interference, but I was working with the same situation you probably are..... bolting a system up in your driveway the way it comes out of the box.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:51 PM

I have never personally tried this, but BMR sells an aftermarket panhard bar brace that relocates so you can run larger pipes over the axle. I'd be willing to bet that a little tweaking could get the pipe to not hit, though, but it really depends on exactly why it hits.

It's about halfway down the page:
http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F3-suspension.htm#phr
Old 08-20-2005, 11:30 PM

That seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. Do ou know of antoher one or where I could find it cheaper?
Old 08-21-2005, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by '86 350
That seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. Do ou know of antoher one or where I could find it cheaper?
No, sadly I don't. BMR is the only company I know of that makes that. Might be worth it to try the classifieds on these boards and other sites, just to see if someone is selling one.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:12 PM

Allright thanks. One mroe question. What would cause this brace to crush my pipe? Going over bumps, or just hard acceleration? I need to use the car while I wait for the BMR unit, so I need to know what I should avoid. Can I still drive the car if I'm cautious?

Thanks.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:58 PM

Anyone? Please help, I need to drive the car at like 5:30 today, so I need to know!
Old 08-22-2005, 04:07 PM

Anyone? Is there anything else I can do short of buying a whole BMR brace?
Old 08-22-2005, 09:58 PM

Another company that sells a replacement for that brace is http://www.unbalancedengineering.com and I believe they are a site sponsor....
Originally Posted by Unbalanced Engineering Website
Panhard Rod Relocation Brackets

Laser cut steel brackets that relocate the panhard rod to lower the rear roll center 4 inches and also level it for lowered cars. These brackets result in additional rear grip in all phases of cornering. They require a panhard rod with 3/4" rod ends and a welded installation. Cost $160
Old 08-23-2005, 05:25 AM

Hmmm, I like how that's cheaper, however do you know how much it costs to weld that in? Although I know how to weld, I no longer have access to a welder like I used to. Caould you show me where to get some 3/4" rod-ends too? Thank you a ton for all then help the people have given me in theis thread already.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:51 PM

Nevermind, I found some. One question though, I'm just gonna order the BMR piece, however I was wondering if I really need to. I'm simply running a 3" single right now. BMR says that the relocation brace is used for true duals. Should I need this brace, or is somehting else wrong with my car? Please help ASAP!
Old 08-24-2005, 06:46 AM

With a three-inch single I see no reason why you would need to relocate. I run a Hooker aerochamber cat-back in three-inch mandrel bent piping, and have no clearance issues whatsoever. Maybe what you need to do is adjust your whole exhaust system forward or backward an inch or two to find your clearance. You can cut your pipe and use a stainless steel band clamp as your adjustment mechanism if you dont already have a slip-fit catylitic converter. Just remember to use some muffler putty at the spot where the clamp block is and you'll have a gas tight, slip-free seal.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:30 AM

The relocation of that panhard brace and panhard rod isn't solely for the exhaust clearence, that's just an added benefit. It's meant to lower the rear roll center of our cars. And with our cars that helps alot when the car is lowered with springs because that lowers the front roll center significantly but the rear doesn't get as much of a drop.

From what I understand...
Old 08-25-2005, 05:11 AM

Oh, I know about that. But right now I'm tight on cash and my car isn't lowered, so if I don't have to go with this brace I won't.

Quick Reply: Brace on the rear of the car?