3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Bad Gas????

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 07:31 AM

Bad Gas????

Would bad gas cause my car to act like it has a miss??? It was running like a champ before I stopped and put a dose ( full Tank)
of Shell V power in my car. Monday morning coming to work it started to miss at around 2000 rpms. IT has gotten progressively worse (sputtering a bit and loss of power). I drove home yesterday and to work today in third gear just to burn that fuel out. I also just put about 7 gallons of Chevron (what I usually get) in it this morning also.

We had the Ethanol scare last month and some stations converted to it...They do not have to tell you if they have it (which is bull) but could that crap make my car run like this???

Thanks

Later
Old 07-13-2004, 09:22 AM
Banned

Try 3 or 4 bottles of gas drier in the tank and see if it gets better.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:26 AM

gas drier??? Do they have that at Wally or at Auto zone??

Thanks for the reply

Later
Old 07-13-2004, 12:48 PM

Put two bottles of Heet gas water remover into the tank and no help.....How long does it take for this stuff to work??? I traveled approx. 5 miles w/ the two bottles in there. I am guessing I might need to put two more bottles in there???

HELP!!!!

later
Old 07-13-2004, 02:49 PM

The detergent in the gas may have broken some gunk lose in the tank or lines and it's pluged something up. I hate Shell ,from the 70's it used to eat the aluminum pistons on motor cycles so I stopped using it then ,and never went back. They have probably reformulated since then ,but I've got princables.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:38 AM

Alright....After having driven in third through the scenic route to the house, I burned another half a tank and I filled up with good gas again. STILL RUNNING LIKE DOO DOO!!! I drive to my buddy's house and I go to do the "pull the plug wire from the dist to check for fouled plug " routine and I notice that my cap is LOOSE !!! This is the second time this has happened....I broke the mounting screw that hold the cap to the dist. We fix that and I am like " YES....We got this thing licked " NOPE!!!!!!

Still running like it did before I am going to check to see if maybe I got a vacumm line or wire caught under the cap. The cap is secure...but it stills has a tiny bit of movement. I figured that tiny bit would not make a difference (or at least run better than before) in the engine. Could that loose dist cap degrade the rotor, cap and plugs to a point of needing a change????? I am still not ruling out the fuel equation and I am going to change the filter this weekend.

Later and thanks for all your replies
Old 07-14-2004, 01:30 PM

Not to cause alarm ,but do you know why the cap keeps comming loose? How much free play do you have in the ditributor ,this may be a sign it's on it's way out. Yes all that wobbling around could have damaged the cap & rotor.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by IROC-T
Not to cause alarm ,but do you know why the cap keeps comming loose? How much free play do you have in the ditributor ,this may be a sign it's on it's way out. Yes all that wobbling around could have damaged the cap & rotor.

It keeps (twice since engine change) breaking the little bolt that hold the cap to the dist. Not alot free play...Enough though to notice (not solid). I am not sure it wobbled enough to damage the components, but I am going to change those if the fuel filter is not the culprit.

Later
Old 07-14-2004, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by 1fastformula
It keeps (twice since engine change) breaking the little bolt that hold the cap to the dist. Not alot free play...Enough though to notice (not solid). I am not sure it wobbled enough to damage the components, but I am going to change those if the fuel filter is not the culprit.

Later
It breaks the bolt(screw)or the tab on the cap? You may have a bad motor mount causing the broken parts,or something wrong with the disributor,that should NEVER happen as there is nothing there to brake anything.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:15 PM

Breaks the bolt....I have TREMENDOUS Torque so I think that maybe the reason why.

Here is what I done this evening......Changed the fuel filter..NO CHANGE. Changed the Rotor...NO CHANGE. Dealership gave me wrong cap ( I told the guy it looked a little small...He said it was the one ). Bypassed my MSD box...NO CHANGE. I took it out for a drive after all this and I got on it...OMG NO POWER!!!! Took forever to get to 60MPH.

I guess I will be syphoning the tank this weekend......

Keep giving me info. and THANKS for all your replies

Later
Old 07-14-2004, 11:32 PM

I went from great to less than 30mph in less than a 1/4 mile, and it overheated. Injectors less than a year old where totally fouled.

Gas tank filler neck solder weld broke loose and moisture entered the tank. Entire interior of tank was completely rusted, including the sending unit.