3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Bad ESC Fusible link or Fan link?

Old 12-29-2005, 10:48 PM

Bad ESC Fusible link or Fan link?

I know there are a million of these posts but this one seems unique...just like all the other 3rd gen wiring issues lol.

One day my ESC threw my engines timing way off. Which blew my CAT all to peices, so i bypassed it with the White/Brown connector, and sure enough it starts right up. I'm not sure what to make of that. Another suspect i have is a blown red fusible link on the passenger side of the firewall. I'm not sure what it goes to. Could it be possibly that I am dealing with a blow fan fusible link, and a fried ESC module. If so how are the fusible links replaced...I've been hard pressed to find any replacements other than a smaller gauge wire that will blow before the larger gauge wire blows i assume? I am posting pics to help anyone out who can provide help, this car was abused and it needs some wiring help aparently...looks like a disconected O2 seonsor aparently...not sure what it plugs into....

Old 12-30-2005, 08:40 AM

Re: Bad ESC Fusible link or Fan link?

I have the same thing as pic #1, and pic #2 looks like a temp sender wire...

Oh, and I have no idea what pic #1 is of, but nothing is wrong with my car, so I am not sure. Looks like it got super hot at one point, but I know that doesn't really help...
Old 12-31-2005, 10:55 AM

actaully that may help me, if its my temp sender wire that would explain the sporadic bouncing of my gauge? or possibly why my second fan never works, the second wire is a pigtail from an O2 sensor, but im not sure where it connects to....
Old 12-31-2005, 10:59 AM

the Pic #1 is of what i think may be the "hot" wire to the secondary fan or my temprature sensor gauge, not too sure at this point though. But my theory was with my O2 sensor dissconected like that, it could be why my timing is thrown off when i have my ESC connected because it receives no signal from the O2 sensor?
Old 12-31-2005, 06:58 PM

Pic #1 is a signal from the coil driving the tachometer. How well does your tach work ?

Pic #2 looks exactly like the wire for the coolant temp sensor that drives your temp gauge (not to be confused with the coolant temp sensor on the front of the block that sends info to the ECM). I had this disconnected on my car for the longest time and I wondered why my temp gauge didn't work.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:17 PM

Odd thing is my tach works fine....Very accurate i would say. My Temp gauge never works however, sometimes it will bounce around and do the "test sweep" but wont register a temp. Pic #2 is connected to the O2 sensor though and somthing else so you may be right on it being the temp sensor. I have a wiring chart but it doesnt help me at all considering the wiring is shrouded in a sheath. But where might the Temp sensor pigtail i was holding connect?
Old 12-31-2005, 10:09 PM

Ok Pic #1 is what appears to be a chared orange Coolant fan relay wire, and Pic #2 is what appears to be a DRK Green temp connector, can anyone confirm this and does anyone know where the drk green wire should connect to?
Old 01-01-2006, 07:07 AM

I'm suprised that pic #1 is not the tach wire but if your tach is working fine then you are definitely right. As for the engine temp gauge wire, it connects to the head between cylinder #1 and #3 down by the spark plugs.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:40 PM

pic #1 might be the power supply for the hood light.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by AZZKKER
pic #1 might be the power supply for the hood light.
I think it is the power feed for the blower high relay
Old 01-01-2006, 08:10 PM

Ok ill econnect the temp wire and see if my gauge starts to register, as for the Hood light it is a possibility...as i have never had a hood light on. But my concern was that the secondary fan was not working at all leading my car to overheat, but im not sure that there was an orange fusible in the line for the fan.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Dave89IROC
I think it is the power feed for the blower high relay
now that i think about it your right, the hood feed is black/red wire, but the connector is in the same general area. as for the fuse links, most are by the battery, and the others are down by the starter. also, did you check the 25 amp fuse in that individual fuse holder by the battery? i believe that has somthing to do with the fan circuit if i remember my wiring diagrams right.

thanks
Old 01-02-2006, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by elementaltoad
But my concern was that the secondary fan was not working at all leading my car to overheat, but im not sure that there was an orange fusible in the line for the fan.
Isn't the secondary supposed to come on when the AC is on. That's what I was told by my Auto Electric guy. If the AC is low on Freon he says that will prevent it from coming also.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:40 AM

The secondary fan wil indeed come on with the AC, but it should also come on at like 250 degrees or something. I don't remember the exact temp, but it is far higher than I would like.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:27 AM

Do you know where the Thermostat for the second is? Do you have any documentation for it coming on at 250° so I can show it to ny Auto Electric guy?

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad ESC Fusible link or Fan link?