3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

anyone know how to tell a T/A from a GTA by different parts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 06:58 PM

anyone know how to tell a T/A from a GTA by different parts?

i just baught an 87 trans am and ive been checking it out and think it might be a gta. it has the molded door panels (which ive heard only come on gta's) it has a 305 tpi auto and t-tops (heard you couldnt get a 350 with a t-top car). it sets lower then my 84 Z28 does. either there isnt any rpo codes left in the car or im just not looking in the right spot because i thought theyd be in the console like a 3rd gen camaro. theres a few pics of the car at www.cardomain.com/id/xeroxed hopefully someone will know if this is a gta or t/a. either way i got a sweet deal on the car only paid $400 for it and the only thing wrong was it needed a new ecm and the driver side fender painted.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:00 PM

Re: anyone know how to tell a T/A from a GTA by different parts?

IT looks like you have a gta i had a 87 with t tops it had a factory 350 in it i just picked up a 86 iroc with a 350 carb motor any way what colour is the interior and dose it have a piece that holds tapes and stuff on the roof between the t roofs i will try to find out other ways of telling and post againg 86 iroc 350 no mods yet sold 81 miss it big time
Old 08-01-2004, 08:17 PM

it has the map pocket on the passenger side dash with the bird on it. it has the overhead console. it also has a 140 mph speedo.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:52 AM

GTA's don't have fender vents on the front fenders, that is the most distinguishing feature. Everything else can be swapped easily to make a GTA clone.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:49 AM

My GTA had badges everywhere. On the wheel, map pocket, outside.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:28 PM

1. Molded door panels were part of the deluxe interior package for Firebirds. It was standard on GTAs, and optional on 87-89 Firebirds.

2. GTAs are either 350 autos, or 305 manuals. No 305 autos.

3. The t-top issue again... 87-90 definately were available with the 350 and t-tops. 91-92 were not supposed to have t-tops with the 350. I've never seen one, but someone always claims to have seen one or owned one. Many times they don't know its a 305 advertised as a 350 or the t-tops are aftermarket.

4. It sits lower than your 84 Z28 because there is a very good chance that its a WS6 car.

5. I don't believe any GTAs came in two tone. I'll have to check up on that though.

6. Look at the Firebird badge on the rear light bar. If its in silver, its a regular Firebird, or TA. Gold was only available on the GTA.
Does it have the digital dash?

Last edited by Marc 85Z28; 08-02-2004 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28

5. I don't believe any GTAs came in two tone. I'll have to check up on that though.

6. Look at the Firebird badge on the rear light bar. If its in silver, its a regular Firebird, or TA. Gold was only available on the GTA.
Does it have the digital dash?
Regarding #5 above, you're exactly right. If it's a two-tone car (and it's the factory paint), then it's almost definitely not a GTA. You might also check for things like 4-wheel disc brakes (good sign, but not definite), aluminum driveshaft (same as above), etc.

But hands down, the best way to check your car out is with the help of the GTA Source Page!

(I'm really surprised that no-one's mentioned that yet!)
Old 08-02-2004, 08:10 PM

Whoops, forgot one thing - if you can't find the build sheet in the car, you still have a chance at getting the information that's on it. Write down your VIN & take it (or better yet, drive the car) to a Pontiac dealership, & ask really nicely if you can get a "SPID report". They don't have to do it for you, but it's usually not too much of a hassle. Then just look for the Y84 RPO code - if it's there, you're golden!

If not, hey, at least you know exactly what your car came with!
Old 08-03-2004, 12:01 AM

Did you check in the back glovebox ,sometimes they were put there.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:34 PM

From what I see that car is NOT a GTA. It has NO indications of even being so. Info can be found at www.transamgta.com if you want to read up.

Here is the definitive list of GTA items. It can vary year to year, as some options were not introduced till 88, and some items are 90-92 only.

All GTA's will have the Y84 RPO code.

A GTA WILL have GTA emblems on the nose, and fenders. As well as emblems located on the sail panels.

A GTA will have a gold firebird inset into the center piece of the tail lights if it is a 87-90 GTA. 91/92 GTA's wil have the two peice TransAm tail lights as a tribute to the Fiero.

All GTA's will come with Gold Crosslace rims. The center caps should be black with a Gold Firebird emblem.

A GTA will have either a gold firebird emblem horn button or steering wheel radio controls for all 88-89 GTA's. 87' GTA's did not have the option of steering wheel controls. 1990-92 GTA's had the airbag steering wheel.

A GTA will have the Ultima air lumbar seats. These are adjustable in almost 6 different ways, with inflatable lumbar support. But they are not power seats in the sense we think of them today.

A GTA will not have fender vents. It will have standard firebird, or firebird Formula fenders.

A GTA will be a solid body color, there were no two tone paint jobs from the factory on a GTA.

A GTA will have a map pocket with either a Gold firebird emblem embroidered, or it will have "GTA" embroidered on the map pocket.

A GTA's steering wheel will be leather wrapped for all years. As will the shift handle, and Ebrake.

A GTA could have the 60/40 split bench seats.

For 1988 only, a GTA could have the "Notchback" option. Also for the same year a GTA could have the "euro" style paddle folding side mirrors. All exported GTA's have these mirrors.

All exported GTA's have the standard firebird tail lights as the grid style did not pass overseas requirements.

A GTA will come with either a 350TPI/Auto, 305TPI/Manual, or 305TPI/auto (peanut cam). There were no GTA's with the TBI 305 powerplants.

There might be more stuff to list, but this list should be enough to identify a GTA.

Also of note, all 1989 Turbo TransAm's were built from a GTA as the base model. The power train, and suspension were then modified. All true TTA's will have Y84 in the RPO list.

Last edited by FruityOne; 08-03-2004 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:38 AM

For 1988 only, a GTA could have the "Notchback" option. Also for the same year a GTA could have the "euro" style paddle folding side mirrors. All exported GTA's have these mirrors.

Apparently, option code DD7 'Paddle Mirrors' were offered only in 1987, and only very early in the production year.

The GTA Source Page
Old 08-04-2004, 04:49 AM

Actually,GTAs did come with 305 automatics.My buddy just bought one a couple weeks ago.Its definitely real.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:26 PM

i guess its just a trans am. i never really liked the looked of the 3d gen t/a and firebirds or gtas but now i that i got one i think they look a lot meaner then a 3rd gen camaro. ive got about $460 into the car now because it needed a fan relay and ecm. i think it might be worth a little more then i have into it seeing how the whole undercarriage still has the factory undercoating and its still black. i doubt this cars ever seen a new york winter. now i just got to take it to work and match the driver side fender and make a few touch ups on the body and itll look and run great.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:26 PM

Hehe, I knew someone would find a mistake in what I wrote. Though what I wrote is mostly accurate. The first 3 lines should be enough to determine if it is a GTA.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:20 PM

A GTA will also have the word Pontiac in gold on the drivers side headlight insted of chrome.

Quick Reply: anyone know how to tell a T/A from a GTA by different parts?