3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

aaaaahhhhhhhhhh fire!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 09:51 PM

aaaaahhhhhhhhhh fire!!!!!!

ok heres what happened....
my dad and i were taking the maro out to the train station to see the sox on friday and we were in the parking garage and the maro stalled(i thought). so i tried and tried to start it again but wouldnt so we pushed it to a parking spot and took the hood off and the was the worst thing i have ever seen. the maro was on fire. now..... it was right behind the drivers side cylinder head. i could tell some of the wires went to the oil pressure sending unit but where do the others go?? it wouldnt start after the fire so i am assuming it is electical. please help me i need it running by wed. to race on sat. its a 350 tpi 5 speed. few mods but the only one that would matter would be the headers
Old 07-03-2004, 10:18 PM

Sorry to hear you had a fire, i know what it's like, honestly.

Depending on the severity and how long it was burning, you're going to want to inspect EVERYTHING back there. Sure, only a few things may have actually been burning, BUT, heat kills, too. As to whether or not you can have it running by saturday, that would depend on how bad it burnt. My engine fire was 1 year ago (29th of June, 2003), and it still doesn't run. But, I'm getting there...just have to get the engine into the actual car....

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...7.jpg.orig.jpg

A picture says 1,000 words. So there's my story. .

Last edited by Stekman; 07-03-2004 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:38 PM

Picture doesn't work.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:46 PM

is there any other way you can post that pic?? didnt work for me either
Old 07-04-2004, 12:53 AM

Well, there is one way to get it to work after a fire. Get a painless harness for your car. Granted, expensive and possibly overkill. But its nice to know the harness is brand new, and not hacked to crap.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:41 AM

http://community.webshots.com/s/imag...1gfIPpp_ph.jpg

Try that. (It's also in the website in my info...click on the 1982 Camaro Z-28 and have a look, you can see what it looked like before i got it, the fire damage, and my slow rebuild....then i tore it down again)

And I'm doing what FruityOne says. I am rewirng the car bumper to bumper. I'd feel a lot safer knowing that its fresh and not hacked to h*** and back like he says.
Old 07-05-2004, 02:54 AM

ok i have an up date.
i pulled some of the wiring out to inspect it and found 3 things that were fried. 1 o2 sensor wire, 2 drivers side sensor on the head(between #1 and #3 cyl), and 3 a sensor right above the oil filter(maybe oil pressure sender). now what would cause it not to start?? it should run just crappy right??
Old 07-05-2004, 09:09 AM

o2 wire: Set off a code, engine stays in open loop at worst (no readings taken from the o2 to adjust the air/fuel)

Sensor in head: Sender for the temp gauge. You just wont know how how you are running (until it's too late, perhaps)

Sensore just above oil filter: Indeed that's the oil pressure switch/sender. Your car would run for like a few seconds at most. Your fuel system would pressurized from the ECM powering the pump (the pump's priming stage). That is to get enough fuel to supply the engine until adequate oil pressure could be built up so the pressure switch can then take over. If there is no input from that, the pump wont recieve power. It will need to get replaced.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:14 AM

so to put it in stupid redneck terms...it wont start without oil pressure??
Old 07-05-2004, 09:23 AM

It will start, it will just die after a few seconds.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:24 AM

Re: aaaaahhhhhhhhhh fire!!!!!!

ok back from my crappy vacation and have done some work on the maro. i replaced the oil sending unit, the wires that connect to it(soldered and heat shrink), fixed the other 2 wires(o2 and coolant) and i still have no fuel pressure. one thing im wondering is does the check engine light come on when you first turn the key to the run position? i dont remember. it is not coming on. i was told you could bypass the fuel system shut off(oil press loss) by splicing into 2 wires on the fuel pump, but i really dont want to do that, and i tried. is there anyway that those wires getting cooked could ruin the fuel pump? also it looks like the fire might have started at the oil sending unit. well i think thats it. thanks again
Old 07-19-2004, 03:29 AM

Check the fuel pump fuse under the hood. You might have shorted a wire and popped the fuse. It's worth the 2 seconds to check it.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:56 AM

Check out the oil pressure wiring..you should have a 12 volt there that sends power to the pump when the oil pressure is above 7 psi, you can jump power to the pump there to see if it`s working.....I guess it`s possible that the pump could have pulled enough amps (as it died) to melt the wires at the sending unit, I`d think the fuel pump fuse and relay would also be ruined too if that were the case.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:15 AM

where is the fuel pump fuse?? is it under the dash because i dont see one fuse under the hood. if its under the dash all fuses are good and i just replaced the relay and still have no pressure please dont tell me its the pump unless i can get to it from the top(dont we wish). all wiring was checked and double checked and is good to go. id try cranking it to see if a miricle happens but its too late and it will wake the kids so ill try it tomarrow
Old 07-20-2004, 05:16 AM

Fuel pump fuse should be a wire with a fuse holder on it mounted on the passenger side fender close to the battery.

Quick Reply: aaaaahhhhhhhhhh fire!!!!!!