3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

86-iroc no spark help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 04:34 PM

Post 86-iroc no spark help!

Hello all,
86 Iroc (5.0L 4bbl )

Ok here is the story..

Car has been sitting for a looong time, battery was very very dead.. jump started car, ran great. battery turned out ot be no good. buy new battery and put it in car. and now i have no spark whatsoever.

i have a feeling the jump starting might have hosed something ( as we tried it a second time just to get it moved, but it wouldn't start)

i started tracking it and i have power to the BAT plug at the distributor, 12V (internal coil) i decided to just replace the coil/dist/rotor as it was old anyways ( and not that expensive). That didn't do the trick. i get downto the pickup coil, the ohm meter says that is ok, now i'm at the ignition module.. what are the chances that it is the ignition module? i have hte ignition module off and am going to try and see if Autozone will test it for me. Is there anything else i should look into? I checked the ECM ( thinking we might have fried it) but it kept giving me code 12 (OK to go). at first i thought that the ECM would tell me aobut hte ignition module but i read that after 30 seconds of no power all codes are erased ( it was off power for about 30 minutes while changing the battery)..

any help would be appreciated..

1986 Iroc
Old 08-21-2002, 05:41 PM

Thumbs up

The module sounds about right!!!! I was cruising about 10 miles from the house when WHAM...Engines stalls and I get no spark...Checked everything and it turned out to be the module. Just make sure you put the white grease on the back of the module. If not, you will short it right out again.

Later

Oh yeah....The coil can sometimes give you a flase reading and make you THINK it is good. Has happened to a couple of people I know.

Later (again)

------------------
1989 Formula 350
K&N air filter, air foil, TB Bypass, AFPR (set at 45 psi), A.I.R. yanked out, Accel 8mm wires, Fireball external coil, Pulley (just the crank), gutted MAF, corvette servo, Hooker super comp. shorties, 3" exhaust all the way back, No cats, Flowmaster 40 series muffler (one in one out turned down)---Developed a bad habit....bottle related!!!!75 Shot of Nitrous
http://www.theformulasource.com/owne...php?siteid=144

So they made him get rid of it...For decency ya know....But it came back the next day...

My webpage:www.cardomain.com/id/1fastformula