2010 - 2015 Camaro Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Discussion for 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Chevrolet Camaro Wheels | Tires | Brakes | Suspension

[Brakes] Z28 Brakes If I Ran GM

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 03:17 PM

Z28 Brakes If I Ran GM

Pedders is committed to being a strong supporting member of the 5th gen community. When we needed a brake upgrade for our Camaro we looked everywhere and came right back to the GM parts bin. It took a while, but we sorted it out and found what we believe to be the most cost effective and perhaps best brake solution for the Camaro. If I ran GM -- and I don't I know what I would do for better Camaro brakes. I would use THE CADILLAC OF BRAKES for the Camaro -- CTS-V BRAKES.

These are the same brakes that set a record on the Ring with John Heinricy behind the wheel of s CTS-V as the fastest production sedan to run the ring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky8ZiO6ebn0

The CTS-V is a bit heavier than the Camaro making the setup PERFECT. This is a bolt on project that requires only the front dust shield be trimmed to fit the over-sized six piston front caliper. Everything is performance / track ready to go. The pads are perfect out of the box. They are also Cadillac quiet. The front calipers do require different bolts. All the parts are supposed to be available front the GM parts bin, but we did have some delays in collecting everything we needed. Arthur at Witt Buick Pedders did a great job of getting all the bits pulled together for me.

This is a HUGE upgrade for the Camaro. Take a close look at the calipers and pads. The superior clamping from six pistons combined with a much larger pad and rotor work to PERFECTION with the master cylinder and computer.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:18 PM

The rotors are very different up front. These are dual cast from Brembo with an aluminum hat / center and iron rotor. Even though the new Cadillac rotors are larger and thicker, they weigh the same as the OEM SS Camaro rotors.

Trimming the front dust shield was straight forward. How can any modification (unless it is Pedders made to fit just like the OEM bits we replace) be complete without sparks from a cutting wheel?

Old 03-16-2010, 03:20 PM

The brake upgrade is 100% OEM CTS-V with the exception of Pedders Camaro Brake Lines. You can see our brake lines fit and mount just like OEM. Why is Pedders doing brake lines for the 2010 Camaro? Great question. When we built our Camaro we couldn't find them in the aftermarket so we took matters into our own hands. PDUSACAM2800 https://secure.merlinsoftware.com.au...0&Featured=Yes

The rear Cadillac CTS-V caliper is the same as the Camaro SS rear caliper. The only difference is color. We did try to rear CTS-V and found the hat offset is a bit different, but the OEM Camaro SS rotor is a perfect match.

Here they are, THE Cadillac of Brakes of the 2010 Camaro.

Rear Before

Rear After

Front Before

Front After

Old 03-16-2010, 03:21 PM

When you do a conversion like this it is critical that the entire brake system be bled including the ABD computer. We connected the new USB based GM scan tool and could not find a full bleed program. We connected a Tech I scan tool, selected 2010 Corvette and found a functional solution. With everything completed we did on more safety check and went out for a road test. Working with Witt Buick Pedders means we have access to everything we need including a 'private' area to bed the brakes. 60 to 20, 80 to 20 and 100 to 20 and the brakes are bedded.

How do they feel -- just like a Cadillac CTS-V. Are they better than the SS brakes -- OH YEAH!!! Now the tough question, how do you get a set. We are posting this for the benefit of the Camaro community. Witt Buick Pedders put in a tremendous amount of effort to secure all the bits and do the install. Little things like finding the right way to bleed the brakes take a lot of time. The rear rotors from the CTS-V don't fit and son on. They have earned the right to at least have the opportunity to make a parts sale.

Keeping the community in mind, you already know that a complete set of CTS-V brakes will fit and what you need to order short of the parts list. Your creative and can source that on the Internet. If you would like to order a turn key kit you can call Arthur at Witt Buick Pedders (231) 722-3771 for $3,400 including the Pedders SS lines.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:45 PM

Great article!

mike
dms
Old 03-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Admin Emeritus

I want to do this so bad.

Just...how to get the Camaro logo in place of the V logo...Hmm...
Old 03-16-2010, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
I want to do this so bad.

Just...how to get the Camaro logo in place of the V logo...Hmm...
The quality of the powder coated logo is so good I didn't want to attempt a change. If you drove them you would really want them ;-)

I feel you pain
Old 03-17-2010, 06:51 AM

so everything bolts up perfect except the rear rotors and i think you said there was a larger bolt for the front caliper? but the rear calipers on the ss are the same as the cts-v calipers? i thought about doing this a while ago, just never knew if it would fit up. im glad you did the work to show it will fit up. id liek to go with just the front setup.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
so everything bolts up perfect except the rear rotors and i think you said there was a larger bolt for the front caliper? but the rear calipers on the ss are the same as the cts-v calipers? i thought about doing this a while ago, just never knew if it would fit up. im glad you did the work to show it will fit up. id liek to go with just the front setup.
The front calipers take slightly longer bolts. They are TTY and available through GM. Just doing the fronts will deliver the same performance. I would suggest you do the CTS-V pads in the rear to match the front.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:04 PM

CTS-V Front Calipers, Rotors, Pads and Lines are $2,075. Witt Buick Pedders will install them including fluid and full ABS bleed for $2,349.99.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:43 AM

not to say that thats not a great deal, because it is. but heres a better deal http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...&ProdID=264804 1669.45 for the rotors ,calipers, and oem brake pads.1400 without the pads.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:30 PM

I have no doubt that the bits can be sourced for less. Having said that, there is value to working with a GM dealer, especially one that is willing to support the creative use of GM parts. Even more important, how many GM dealers are performance knowledgeable and even more important customer friendly to enthusiasts.

There is a big negative to internet sellers. They can use efficiencies to offer lower product cost. How is that a negative? They make it hard for the local dealer to compete on price and we lose a valuable resource -- performance friendly dealers that can provide warranty service to the enthusiast. When we find car dealers that support us, we should support them.

You'll notice that Pace did not take the time to verify the fitment of the CTS-V brakes to the 2010 Camaro. Nor did they verify they are compatible with the ABS computer or master cylinder of the 2010 Camaro. All they did was post a part for sale.

Sorry for the rant. My intent is not to offend anyone.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:45 AM

i totally understand in supporting the local business. but im also not a complete idiot and dont like over paying for things i can buy cheaper elsewhere. im glad they did the work on making this brake kit fit. but these dealerships,and any local business, need to understand the competition in the internet and price accordingly. why pay 1000 for something down the road when i can buy it for 600 on the internet and have it next day and free shipping(most of the time)?
my dealership already got me MSRP on my car. im not going ot let them get me full price on any parts. theres even some dealerships on the internet selling these parts that cheap.

Last edited by 2010_5thgen; 03-19-2010 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:20 AM

i totally understand in supporting the local business. but im also not a complete idiot and dont like over paying for things i can buy cheaper elsewhere. im glad they did the work on making this brake kit fit. but these dealerships,and any local business, need to understand the competition in the internet and price accordingly. why pay 1000 for something down the road when i can buy it for 600 on the internet and have it next day and free shipping(most of the time)?
my dealership already got me MSRP on my car. im not going ot let them get me full price on any parts. theres even some dealerships on the internet selling these parts that cheap.
No one said you were an idiot and if you feel I did, I am sorry.

You are correct. You can find many sources that will sell parts cheap. That is all they are doing. What Witt Buick Pedders did is all the work and research to create arguably the best 2010 Camaro brake solution. They deserve to be paid for all that work. They won't be because of the Internet sellers that do NOTHING for the 2010 Camaro community. All they do is sell parts cheap.

You paid MSRP for your Camaro and feel like it was too dear. That's cool. Now if you mod your Camaro and the selling Dealer doesn't get a piece of the business why would you or any other new car owner feel the Dealer should cast a blind eye to the mods and cover a problem under warranty?

Here is an example. You buy your brakes from PACE and install them yourself. Two months later your front wheel bearing goes bad. Who do you think will pay that bill?

You buy your brakes from Witt Buick Pedders and have them installed at Witt Buick Pedders. Two months later your front wheel bearing goes bad. Who do you think will pay that bill?

Finally, the difference in price is minimal. The PACE kit does NOT INCLUDE GM CTS-V Brake Pads or Stainless Steel Lines. The difference in price is maybe $200. Your $200 dollars in price difference supports a company that developed a highly cost effective solution for the entire 2010 Camaro community and encourages the same company to do more for the community.

In this case the Dealer is an enthusiast that supports the community and is offering the parts at a good discount, not the lowest price, but a fair price and backing it up with installation service and technical support.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Admin Emeritus

Both points of view are equally valid and it is tough to find the happy medium.

What I do is to try to support the company that will support me. That way, everyone wins. I mean, the lowest price isn't always the best value at the end of it all. It is hard to find the balance of price vs. value vs. continual support.

If it is a matter of price, I try to at least give them a chance to compete. That way, they understand if I have to buy the parts from someone else.

Quick Reply: [Brakes] Z28 Brakes If I Ran GM