2010 - 2015 Camaro Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Discussion for 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Chevrolet Camaro Wheels | Tires | Brakes | Suspension

[Wheels] 4k for optional wheels?

Old 05-03-2009, 10:12 PM

4k for optional wheels?

I just priced out my Camaro, base LS with no options,

http://www.chevrolet.com/allnewcamaro/#

Want to add 18 inch aluminum wheels? You can't. 19's? You can't. 20's? you can't. But for a mere $4,680, (yeah that's actually about 320 dollars less than I just paid for my 40k mile 1999 Mercury Grand Marquis LS) you can get a set of 21 inch wheels on your 23,040 base Camaro, making it a 27,720 base camaro. NICE WORK GM!

Want to add ground effects? Sure why not! it's only an additional $2,265 making that base camaro $29,985.

I guess if I am going to get one at all, it will be just the base model, no options at all.

The Genesis Coupe with the V6 starts out at 25k, but comes with 18 inch alloys, so about the same as the Camaro with the V6 and 18 inch alloys. Good thing the Camaro looks a HELL of a lot better than the Hyundai. Then again, with the announcement that they've decided to drop Pontiac, Hummer Saab and Saturn, I don't know if owning a Camaro is such a good idea.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:13 AM

I'm not following you here. Do you WANT ground effects and 21" wheels on a BASE car? Are you upset because you can't get these things for $22k? Or are you upset because the options are not available on the LS...if that's the case, you should look into an LT instead where the options ARE available. I'm not trying to bash you, it's just obvious you're upset....just not exactly what about.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by MetalDragon
I'm not following you here. Do you WANT ground effects and 21" wheels on a BASE car? Are you upset because you can't get these things for $22k? Or are you upset because the options are not available on the LS...if that's the case, you should look into an LT instead where the options ARE available. I'm not trying to bash you, it's just obvious you're upset....just not exactly what about.
no, I don't want ground effects and 21 inch wheels on a base car. But I also know for a fact 5 sets of 21 inch wheels and tires is not as expensive to manufacture as a camaro including a set of 18 inch wheels and tires. The ground effects are ok but personally I wouldn't go for them, and especially at the price they are, if it was an 800 dollar option maybe. I remember seeing a 32k loaded up RS camaro in 2001, it sat on the lot for a long time.

$4k for a set of optional wheels is absurd. All I'm saying is the options are way too expensive.

Last edited by 5thGen; 05-27-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:12 PM

What I don't get is that these optional wheels are the same price no matter what base car you put them on. Shouldn't you get more credit for the standard SS wheels than you would for the standard LS wheels?
Old 05-27-2009, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by 5thGenII
$4k for a set of optional wheels is absurd. All I'm saying is the options are way too expensive.
I agree on that, but price out a set of 21" wheels AND tires and it's not that much more. I did a quick search just now and came up with wheels at about $500 ea and tires at about $375 each. That's $3500 right there.

Originally Posted by lcmc
Shouldn't you get more credit for the standard SS wheels than you would for the standard LS wheels?
You should if you didn't get to keep the stock wheels and tires, but you do. You're not buying an upgrade, you're buying another set.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by MetalDragon
I agree on that, but price out a set of 21" wheels AND tires and it's not that much more. I did a quick search just now and came up with wheels at about $500 ea and tires at about $375 each. That's $3500 right there.

You should if you didn't get to keep the stock wheels and tires, but you do. You're not buying an upgrade, you're buying another set.
That's just plain dumb. Why do they list them as an option then. That makes it sound like an upgrade. I sure don't want 2 sets of tires and wheels. You should be able to get a credit back.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:03 AM

why not buy your wheels aftermarket if you think these are so expensive. KONIG makes a set that is identical to the optional 21". hey i just paid 6k for my set of wheels. and thats without tires. if your not wanting the ground effects , why are you so mad about how much they cost?
Old 05-28-2009, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
why not buy your wheels aftermarket if you think these are so expensive. KONIG makes a set that is identical to the optional 21". hey i just paid 6k for my set of wheels. and thats without tires. if your not wanting the ground effects , why are you so mad about how much they cost?
I'm not complaining about cost. I think it's crazy to offer them as an option and not give you credit for the standard wheels.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:22 AM

I'm not complaining about cost. I think it's crazy to offer them as an option and not give you credit for the standard wheels.
Because they're a dealer option, not factory. What part of that is so hard to understand? It says so right on the web page where you build the car.

How do you want GM to ship your car without wheels?

It's not crazy, you just don't know what you're talking about. And why bitch about options you have no interest in paying for. I highly doubt theres that many people willing to spend that kind of cash on wheels for a base model Camaro when its 20% of the cost of the car.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:50 AM

I wouldn't jump all over the original poster here. I thought the same thing when I saw the build-a-camaro page. I could see the LS with 18" aluminum wheels being very appealing. I also thought that the wheels were an upgrade and would replace the stock set of rims and tires. If you pay for the optional automatic transmission, you don't carry the manual tranny home with you!

To the original poster, since they just sell you an additional set of rims and tires in the 21" size with no credit offered, you could probably order the 18" aluminum rims and tires through the dealership too and the steel wheels might be picked up by someone in the classifieds here to mount some snow tires on their 1LT

One more thing, the ground effects are crazy expensive for a dealer add-on part! how much did they cost on a 3rd or 4th gen base model car?
Old 05-29-2009, 12:50 PM

you keep the stock 20's why would they want them back to put on another car? just sell them if you are opting for the 21" wheels. someone will buy them.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Blue89Bird
I highly doubt theres that many people willing to spend that kind of cash on wheels for a base model Camaro when its 20% of the cost of the car.
that's all I'm saying.

If I was buying right now, I would like the ground effects, but not at that cost. I would also like the optional wheels, but again not at that cost. Add on the stuff you like and you're 23k muscle car is now over 30k.

Ok, just went back to the site, with 21 inch wheels and the ground effects it's a total of 29,985......... or you can get the 1SS with the 20 inch standard wheels and of course the 400 hp V8, for a whopping $1055 dollars more. Add stripes and you're only 600 bucks away from an SS.

If you add options you are pricing it up a few levels. It makes no sense. Sure, if you go to tire rack and price out 21 inchers, of course they are expensive. But GM is getting them at a much lower price. Not like they can't make a profit on the options, but are they in the business of selling wheels and tires, or cars?