2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums

Z-28 Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 02:37 PM

Z-28 Question

OK crew, bought me a 2015 Z-28. I put it on the track several times. This car is a handling Dream. I have pulled 1.25 plus g's through the corners. Absolutley mind blowing. Forget slow in and fast out, its fast in and out on those monster brakes. My buddies drive Porsches,corvettes, BMW's... Every 1 of them is amazed at this cars ability. However it's with a heavy heart that I'm about ready to tell GM to shove it up there ...The car refuses to give me everything even in mode 5. I go to ACCELERATE through a corner, fully intending to light the tires up while drifting and showing off. Every time the car cuts the fuel and refuses to allow me full throttle. Am I missing something? What's the point if I can't get it loose. I was told mode 5 is the bomb...Suggestions before I traded in for something else that allows me to drive the way I want, with no restrictions.

Last edited by schultz7664; 11-14-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:43 PM

Re: Z-28 Question

Track Day
Detail day after the track.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:29 PM

I'm not a pro, just out for fun. Not my best lap, however you got to love that N.A. 427 under the hood. Never ever super charge a Z-28. That's the deal, all Z-28's from the factory are Naturally Aspirated, otherwise they are not a Z-28. If you want to super charge it, get a ZL1. No Z-28 for 2018. Maybe I have the last model year. Maybe not, time will tell.

ROCK ON
Old 11-14-2017, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

Awesome car! I’d love a chance to drive or even own one someday.

Some googling led me here:
Performance traction management question - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Which says that you can completely disable traction control by holding down the TC button for 5-7 seconds. I can’t confirm those instructions, but other things I found corroborate that it’s possible to completely disable all nannies. (For one example, have you seen the Chris Harris video? He slides the thing pretty mich the entire time!)

Good luck, and enjoy your tail-out driving!
Old 11-15-2017, 08:44 AM

Thank you. I will give that a shot. I have stored the car for winter, so next spring I'll see what happens. I find it funny that the performance guy at my Chevy dealer doesn't have a clue. Honestly GM was no help at all. They don't even have a number for us gear heads that spend mega bucks on there performance vehicle to call. Weak to no customer service for performance drivers. Thanks again.

ROCK ON !!
Old 11-15-2017, 11:27 PM

FYI. Here is the response I received from Scott Evans.

Hi Jerry,
That's correct. In PTM, the Electronic Stability Control is deactivated, but the Traction Control is still on in a performance mode. If you want to get sideways at the track, you need to turn both completely off. They're controlled by the same button, sometimes labeled TC and sometimes labeled ESC depending on the car. Pushing and holding that button for 5-10 seconds will completely deactivate both, and a warning message and warning lights will come up on the dash. At that point, there is no safety net and if you lose control, it'll be up to you to regain it. Have fun and be careful,

Scott