2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums

Who would buy a Turbo Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 11:05 PM

Who would buy a Turbo Kit?

Lets say hypotheitcally that someone came out and said they were going to offer a Turbo kit for the V6 Camaro with;
8 lbs of boost
mild tune to reach good mileage and power
free flow exhaust
efficient intercooler
fitted piping
free flow exhaust
free flow intake
FPR and Fuel pump booster

and it was going to offer a 50% increase in peak power (450 plus hp)

Let's say the retail price was under $4500,

Would you buy it?
Old 07-27-2008, 02:21 AM

Unless for some reason you got stuck with getting a V6 and wanted more power later on what would be the point? For most likely the same amount of money for the V8 you get similar power and a beefier drivetrain all under warranty with room to easily go up in power from there.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:30 AM

Dealer installed so I still have a warranty...I would consider it
Old 07-28-2008, 03:43 PM

With a CR of over 11:1, I don't see 8lbs of boost being an option, unless the the VVT could be programmed to allow some bleeding off of the boost, to prevent the engine from breaking parts. You can barely run 5-6lbs of intercooled boost on the LT1, which "only" has 10.5:1, with any reliability.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:34 AM

With DI and good programming, it can be done.

Even still at 5 lbs of boost from a smaller turbo, you can get about the same hp as the V8, but gas mileage might actually improve over the stock V6 if the tuning is done correct.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by 5thGen
With DI and good programming, it can be done.

Even still at 5 lbs of boost from a smaller turbo, you can get about the same hp as the V8, but gas mileage might actually improve over the stock V6 if the tuning is done correct.
Decent power, and better mileage when you're not on it!

Though I wouldn't buy this from the factory (I'd get the SS for the money...) I would seriously consider this 3-5 years down the road as a GMPP product, or any other aftermarket setup, really.

(I'll be looking for STS to come out with something, specifically.)
Old 07-29-2008, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tokuzumi
With a CR of over 11:1, I don't see 8lbs of boost being an option, unless the the VVT could be programmed to allow some bleeding off of the boost, to prevent the engine from breaking parts. You can barely run 5-6lbs of intercooled boost on the LT1, which "only" has 10.5:1, with any reliability.
Doesn’t the LT recommend premium? GM says to put regular in the LLT so I think that if you used premium in it you could safely boost it a few more pounds.

I’d love one if it was factory, but I’d be pretty hesitant going aftermarket since DI is so new.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Grape Ape
Doesn’t the LT recommend premium? GM says to put regular in the LLT so I think that if you used premium in it you could safely boost it a few more pounds.

I’d love one if it was factory, but I’d be pretty hesitant going aftermarket since DI is so new.
For the LTX based engines, GM recommended premium fuel. My knowledge of DI and forced induction is limited (aka none), so my statements are based on what I have seen with LT and LS based engines. But, with DI and VVT, I'm sure you can get by with more boost, assuming the engine is tuned properly for the set boost level.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Dragoneye
Decent power, and better mileage when you're not on it!

Though I wouldn't buy this from the factory (I'd get the SS for the money...) I would seriously consider this 3-5 years down the road as a GMPP product, or any other aftermarket setup, really.

(I'll be looking for STS to come out with something, specifically.)
Ouch, if I can ever get some things to fall my way, I would like to offer a turbo kit for the Camaro and other cars.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:59 PM

I would LOVE a V6 Camaro with an APS style TT kit.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by 5thGen
Ouch, if I can ever get some things to fall my way, I would like to offer a turbo kit for the Camaro and other cars.
Sorry about that...
I just like the whole rear-mount thing...there's something about it......
Old 07-30-2008, 09:23 PM

lol.... you guys aint getting a turbo kit with intake/exhaust/intercooler/tuning for under $4500. .. so why even bother asking?
Old 07-31-2008, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by V8 Slayer
lol.... you guys aint getting a turbo kit with intake/exhaust/intercooler/tuning for under $4500. .. so why even bother asking?
You never know, some said we would never see a new Camaro again so why bother asking.

If anyone can deliver a nice and affordable package, GMPP can.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:55 PM

8 lbs of boost?
I would want more like 19 lbs of boost (ala GNs and Solstice GXPs).
Old 08-01-2008, 04:47 PM

I think there would defiantely be a market for it. And as far as some concerns on the Compression ratio, thats the great thing about Direct Injection. You can get away with greater compression pressures. Compare the compression ratio of the LLT to the LS3.

The key to the kit would be weight. If you could get it to still weigh less than the SS, then you'll really have something!

Quick Reply: Who would buy a Turbo Kit?