2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums
View Poll Results: Should a V10 be a Camaro option??
Yes! Give me the power to rule the road!
16.97%
No! A V-8 is plenty!
61.82%
Maybe.
3.64%
I don't want to copy a Viper!
17.58%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

V10 in a Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 07:31 PM

A diesel would be badass
Old 11-06-2006, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by jaymac332
Yeah, I think JG95z28 might be reffering to the 911 Carrera. Honest mistake. The Carrera GT is Porsches mid-engined super car, and I could see how the name could confuse someone. Ive also met people who have mistaken the Ford GT for the Mustang GT in a conversation.
Nope. Just brain dead before I finished my 1st cup of coffee. I knew the GT had a V10. But I was thinking about the 911 Carrera and totally had a brain fart before the caffine kicked in. Honest mistake? Maybe... but only if you'll let me blame the lack of coffee in my system.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:00 PM

The Ford and Dodge V10 engines were made from existing V8s so the two cylinders they added are odd fire as mentioned above. That's what gives them a weird sounding exhaust.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...3_v10_history/
Old 12-15-2006, 01:55 PM

more cylinders does not equal more power. V10=
Old 12-15-2006, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by BradcTA
more cylinders does not equal more power. V10=

No replacement for displacement and if all things are equal then a V10 would produce more power. However, GM doesn't suffer the displacement delimma that the mod motors do. A V10 for Ford is pretty attractive if they want to exceed 330 CID in a natirally aspirated application without hindering reliability.

Now, to use some ricer logic, ultimately, a V10 would be down on specific ouptut due to the added friction and drag associated with two more cylinders, but in the grand scheme of things overall power would be up.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
No replacement for displacement and if all things are equal then a V10 would produce more power. However, GM doesn't suffer the displacement delimma that the mod motors do. A V10 for Ford is pretty attractive if they want to exceed 330 CID in a natirally aspirated application without hindering reliability.

Now, to use some ricer logic, ultimately, a V10 would be down on specific ouptut due to the added friction and drag associated with two more cylinders, but in the grand scheme of things overall power would be up.
I should have siad "not necessarily" = more power.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:28 AM

To hell with more power. There, I said it. Is anyone here honestly not satisfied with a 500 horsepower V8? Id personally be satisfied with just 400 horsepower (hehe, I said "just" 400 horsepower). A V10? That actually sounds a little goofy from a marketing standpoint. GM will never allow a Camaro to have some sort of edge on the Vette, and thats the way I like it. Not to mention the cost to produce a limited edition like that would be retarded. And even on top of that, the Mustang doesnt have a V10 and neither will the Challenger...so why one for the Camaro? Are some of you guys getting nervous about the competition? Think the good ole Chevy small block wont get the job done? Again...is even 400 horsepower derived from a Corvette (which already on the Vipers heels) really not enough to impress anyone you meet? Mark my words, a V10 in a Camaro is wrong... its WRONG!
Old 12-18-2006, 07:25 AM

no way Chevy builds a V10 just for the Camaro
Old 12-18-2006, 03:56 PM

the Mustang doesnt have a V10
they considered it, granted it was a one off with a DOHC 4v aluminum 5.8 V10, but they considered it.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:19 PM

And even on top of that, the Mustang doesnt have a V10 and neither will the Challenger...so why one for the Camaro?
Must the camaro always do (copy/follow) what its perceived competitors do?? I thought leading, innovating and crushing the competition was what GM is trying to get back to.

And who said the 'Vette couldn't have a v10 too??
Old 12-22-2006, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Red89GTA
Must the camaro always do (copy/follow) what its perceived competitors do?? I thought leading, innovating and crushing the competition was what GM is trying to get back to.

And who said the 'Vette couldn't have a v10 too??
Im not saying that the Camaro must copy/follow everything that the competitors do...but nevertheless, the Camaro does have competitors and the last thing we want is to alienate them by stuffing a needless V10 in the Camaro. Mark my words, its not cost effective, its not considered innovation, it moves against the grain of tradition, heritage, and the aura of the pony car, which is actually the same reason why Chevy will never put one in a Vette either. There are some things that cannot change if it is to remain a Camaro...I keep on going over and over this: Front engine, rear wheel drive, long hood short rear deck, and a V8 (I know that someone will nitpick a V6, but it could lose the V6 option and still remain a Camaro...not so for the V8). That is it. There is also arguably the whole short rear deck and long hood thing, but Ill just leave that one out for now. A V10? With the Mustang I was just drawing a comparison, not saying that that was what the Camaro had to do...but Camaro and the Mustang are direct competition for eachother and the steer the same path. There was something else that I wanted to say, but it slipped my mind...Ill think of it later.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:18 PM

Im not saying that the Camaro must copy/follow everything that the competitors do...but nevertheless, the Camaro does have competitors and the last thing we want is to alienate them by stuffing a needless V10 in the Camaro. Mark my words, its not cost effective, its not considered innovation, it moves against the grain of tradition, heritage, and the aura of the pony car, which is actually the same reason why Chevy will never put one in a Vette either. There are some things that cannot change if it is to remain a Camaro...I keep on going over and over this: Front engine, rear wheel drive, long hood short rear deck, and a V8 (I know that someone will nitpick a V6, but it could lose the V6 option and still remain a Camaro...not so for the V8). That is it. There is also arguably the whole short rear deck and long hood thing, but Ill just leave that one out for now. A V10? With the Mustang I was just drawing a comparison, not saying that that was what the Camaro had to do...but Camaro and the Mustang are direct competition for eachother and the steer the same path. There was something else that I wanted to say, but it slipped my mind...Ill think of it later.
Good points, I personally agree that they will never put a v10 in it (with the power and mpg the v8 gets, why bother?), I just like exploring 'what if?' situations. I also don't want the car to stagnate in the powertrain and styling departments. Its a fine line that you have to walk to keep innovating and keep it a "Camaro".

If things keep going, at some point (years/decades down the road) there will be hybrid/fuel cell/electric Camaros out there. It's not something I look forward to or want to happen, but at some point there won't be any gasoline left to use or it will be so expensive that it simply would not be worth it. If that becomes the case and we all still want a Camaro, it will need a non-v8 gasoline burning motor.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Red89GTA
Good points, I personally agree that they will never put a v10 in it (with the power and mpg the v8 gets, why bother?), I just like exploring 'what if?' situations. I also don't want the car to stagnate in the powertrain and styling departments. Its a fine line that you have to walk to keep innovating and keep it a "Camaro".

If things keep going, at some point (years/decades down the road) there will be hybrid/fuel cell/electric Camaros out there. It's not something I look forward to or want to happen, but at some point there won't be any gasoline left to use or it will be so expensive that it simply would not be worth it. If that becomes the case and we all still want a Camaro, it will need a non-v8 gasoline burning motor.
Yeah, if push comes to shove, you never know whats in our future.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:25 PM

screw a v10 Gimme a 572 Big Block
Old 12-24-2006, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by twocamaros
screw a v10 Gimme a 572 Big Block
I couldnt imagine how effing crazy that would be

Quick Reply: V10 in a Camaro