2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums

Turbo 6 cylinder option?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by STOCK1SC
I like the turbo option mainly for the weight savings(unless it's iron blocked) and the easy modibility of turbo's. they're free horsepower waiting to be uncorked.
How much weight savings could you expect? Turbocharger(s) piping, intercooler(s)...it adds up, especially if you're talking a DOHC motor. At that point you'd be lucky to weigh the same as an LSx motor, let alone come out lighter.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by jerminator96
How much weight savings could you expect? Turbocharger(s) piping, intercooler(s)...it adds up, especially if you're talking a DOHC motor. At that point you'd be lucky to weigh the same as an LSx motor, let alone come out lighter.
Perhaps, but remember your not just shaving two cylinders off, if you lopped two cylinders off of an LS3 that would leave 4.65L and we are probably talking mid 3s. So the six cylinders are also smaller meaning that everything is smaller and lighter.

Also assuming you leave the tranny in the same spot, decreasing the length of the block by 20-25% and hanging a turbo on each side would move the weight rearward (and maybe downward) allowing for better cornering and harder launches.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Um, no, they haven't.

My lightly-modded GN makes about 260rwhp. It's the torque that makes it special.

If I bought a Camaro with a turbo V6, I would want it to make at least 350hp and 350lb-ft.
I wouldn’t worry the turbo Sol & Sky make 260hp & 260ft/lbs (at the flywheel) with 2.0 liters. If GM can work the same magic on a 3.0 V6 it should be good for nearly 400 & 400 (260 / 2 = 130/L * 3.0L = 390 hp & ft/lbs) and 4.0 would make a pretty awesome top dog at about 520.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Grape Ape
Perhaps, but remember your not just shaving two cylinders off, if you lopped two cylinders off of an LS3 that would leave 4.65L and we are probably talking mid 3s. So the six cylinders are also smaller meaning that everything is smaller and lighter.

Also assuming you leave the tranny in the same spot, decreasing the length of the block by 20-25% and hanging a turbo on each side would move the weight rearward (and maybe downward) allowing for better cornering and harder launches.
I think you underestimate just how much weight a DOHC setup can add.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:38 PM

I think you underestimate just how much weight a DOHC setup can add.
I think you overestimate how much turbos weigh, I think you also overestimate how much a DOHC setup adds. We're not talking 100 lbs pre side here. We're talking less of a difference than going from Iron to Aluminum. Lets say it adds 15 lbs per side, is that 30 lbs plus the 20 lbs for the turbos going to make that V6 weigh as much as the LSX? I don't think so.

Seriously, it will be a fair amount lighter. The new age V6's are lighter than a V8, overhead valve included, and not by a slim margin. The LSX engines have a lot of girth cast in. The new V6's, not so much.

I really wonder if people who say the turbos add weight have ever picked up a turbo. They are not light as in throw it up with one hand, but I'd be suprised if my T30 weighed 10 lbs.

I'm not trying to be mean, but if you don't know, you don't know. That's fine.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by 5thGen
I think you overestimate how much turbos weigh, I think you also overestimate how much a DOHC setup adds. We're not talking 100 lbs pre side here. We're talking less of a difference than going from Iron to Aluminum. Lets say it adds 15 lbs per side, is that 30 lbs plus the 20 lbs for the turbos going to make that V6 weigh as much as the LSX? I don't think so.

Seriously, it will be a fair amount lighter. The new age V6's are lighter than a V8, overhead valve included, and not by a slim margin. The LSX engines have a lot of girth cast in. The new V6's, not so much.

I really wonder if people who say the turbos add weight have ever picked up a turbo. They are not light as in throw it up with one hand, but I'd be suprised if my T30 weighed 10 lbs.

I'm not trying to be mean, but if you don't know, you don't know. That's fine.
My T28 weighs closer to 15lbs. I would bet on close to 50lbs from the turbos and associated equipment, and another 30lbs for the heads.

And after that we're still assuming that this is a bare bones aluminum block, which would seem unlikely if it was purpose built to handle a pair of turbochargers. I wouldn't be surprised to see an iron block.

You won't offend me, I just think you're being a little optimistic.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:24 AM

Just to give a little idea of how much a turbo 6 motor from a 86/87 GN weight is 455 lbs with everything attached.

An LS1 481 pounds W/O flywheel.

I just wanted to post what the weight is for the ones wondering how much a turbo 6 motor weighs. But that is with iron block and heads and all accessories.

-Adam
Old 02-17-2008, 11:21 AM

I would pick the turbo 8 if it was available! Ha. Yeah the turbo 6 would be pretty awesome, although I love the sound of a small block at 7000rpm.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by 86TType
Just to give a little idea of how much a turbo 6 motor from a 86/87 GN weight is 455 lbs with everything attached.

An LS1 481 pounds W/O flywheel.

I just wanted to post what the weight is for the ones wondering how much a turbo 6 motor weighs. But that is with iron block and heads and all accessories.

-Adam
And those were pushrod motors, correct?

It's really not a fair comparison though, motors have changed in the past 20 years.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:56 PM

And those were pushrod motors, correct?

It's really not a fair comparison though, motors have changed in the past 20 years.
Agreed, it is hardly fair since the v6 has an iron block and the LS1's is alloy.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:58 PM

the DOHC heads on the 4.6 mod motor add 60 pounds over the SOHC heads. Also isn't the dressed weight of the LSx 440-445 pounds?
Old 02-24-2008, 10:28 PM

I couldn't figure out what the source is, but wikipedia says that the LY7 tips the scales at a modest 370 lbs. "as installed" whatever that might mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Feature_engine
Old 02-24-2008, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Grape Ape
I couldn't figure out what the source is, but wikipedia says that the LY7 tips the scales at a modest 370 lbs. "as installed" whatever that might mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Feature_engine
370lbs sure isn't much. However, we still need to pack on some weight for the turbo system. Even if we could get it into the car at 400lbs v. 500lbs for a V8, I'd take the extra weight.

Just my $.02
Old 02-25-2008, 10:27 AM

370lbs sure isn't much. However, we still need to pack on some weight for the turbo system. Even if we could get it into the car at 400lbs v. 500lbs for a V8, I'd take the extra weight.

Just my $.02
I don't know about you but if I can have a better performing, lighter weight, easier upgraded, better gas mileage vehicle, I would take it. Automakers would kill to save 100 pounds per car, that would be like driving around with 2 big bags of concrete in the trunk. Even if the V6 and all it's turbo accessories weigh the same in the end as a V8, it's still gonna get better gas mileage.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by STOCK1SC
I don't know about you but if I can have a better performing, lighter weight, easier upgraded, better gas mileage vehicle, I would take it. Automakers would kill to save 100 pounds per car, that would be like driving around with 2 big bags of concrete in the trunk. Even if the V6 and all it's turbo accessories weigh the same in the end as a V8, it's still gonna get better gas mileage.
Well I am a performance nut, and I know the kind of power I like to get out of a car. You're not going to be able to do it reliably with that motor. That's not to say they won't make a purpose built turbo V6 that can handle the extreme boost it would take to compensate for it's lack of displacement, but then again I think that motor would end up being heavier and defeat the purpose.

You are right though, it would get better gas mileage, there is something to be said for that.

Quick Reply: Turbo 6 cylinder option?