2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums

LSA is here....feeling of power is instant, strong and sustained.....................

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 01:04 PM

LSA is here....feeling of power is instant, strong and sustained.....................

HMM.. MAYBE THE NEW Z28 POWER PLANT.....

For release: Jan. 14, 2008, 12:01 a.m. EST

ALL-NEW CTS-V TARGETS 550 SUPERCHARGED HORSEPOWER WITH CADILLAC’S SIGNATURE REFINEMENT
DETROIT – The all-new, 2009 Cadillac CTS-V blends exceptional performance with uncompromising refinement and its unique, 6.2L supercharged V-8 engine is, perhaps, the most dramatic example of the performance sedan’s world-class comportment.

Targeting 550 horsepower (410 kW) and 550 lb.-ft. of torque (745 Nm) – final SAE certified power levels will be available in early April 2008 – the CTS-V’s new LSA engine will be the most powerful ever offered in Cadillac’s nearly 106-year history. It is based on GM’s legendary small-block V-8 architecture and features an intercooled supercharger system, premium heat-resistant aluminum-alloy cylinder heads and numerous details designed to ensure the LSA makes its power as quietly and smoothly as possible.

“From the very start, engineers were cognizant of the role a high-performance engine plays in supporting the qualities customers expect in a Cadillac,” said Jim Taylor, Cadillac general manager. “The supercharged LSA engine delivers outstanding performance, but maximum power didn’t come at the expense of refinement or quietness.”

To achieve the desired balance between performance and drivability, the LSA was designed with numerous features and components that attenuate noise, including the supercharger. It has a new, four-lobe rotor design that enhances quietness while also optimizing the performance parameters of the engine.

A pair of six-speed transmissions is offered with the LSA: A new, Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual with a dual-disc clutch; and a Hydra-Matic 6L90 six-speed automatic with paddle-shift control – the first automatic offered in the CTS-V. Each transmission is designed to channel the engine’s tremendous power while simultaneously delivering exceptional refinement and smoothness.

Supercharged power and superior refinement

Delivering more than merely milestone power numbers, the LSA engine’s sixth-generation Eaton supercharger enables a broader range of power through the rpm band. This gives the engine great low-end torque and excellent horsepower at higher rpm – the range of the rpm band where a supercharger generally loses its effectiveness.

“The new design of the supercharger’s rotating internal components extends its effective range, giving the engine a wide, flat power band that is usable at all rpm levels,” said Ron Meegan, assistant chief engineer. “Whether at low speeds or on the highway, the

feeling of power is instant, strong and sustained.”

An intercooler mounted atop the engine sends the supercharger’s pressurized air through a heat exchanger to lower its temperature before entering the engine’s intake system. The cooler air is denser, helping the engine maximize performance.

Complementing the LSA’s tremendous output is a combination of components and design elements designed to ensure a quiet, refined driving experience. Examples include:

Balanced, lightweight reciprocating assembly
Hypereutectic pistons
Lower-lift, low overlap camshaft
Center-feed fuel system
Acoustic engine cover
Piston oil squirters
The new, four-lobe rotor design of the sixth-generation Eaton supercharger also contributes significantly to the LSA’s quiet performance. In fact, the quiet operation of the supercharger system fooled several onlookers during the CTS-V’s development – onlookers who were convinced that a prototype running at wide-open throttle on Germany’s famed Nürburgring racing circuit couldn’t possibly have a supercharger because there was no audible sound from the drive system.

“The characteristic whine of the supercharger is drastically reduced because of the LSA’s four-lobe rotor design,” said Meegan. “And with the other noise-reduction features used throughout, the sound is virtually eliminated.”

Transmission details

The new TR6060 transmission is based on the proven T56 six-speed used in the previous CTS-V, but upgraded to handle the LSA engine’s substantial increase in torque, as well as improve shift quality, via a dual-disc clutch system.

The twin-disc clutch delivers exceptional clamping power and excellent shift effort, achieved with the use of a pair of smaller-diameter clutch discs that have less inertia than a single, larger-diameter disc. Like the previous CTS-V, a dual-mass flywheel is used, which allows for smooth, chatter-free performance.

When it comes to the new automatic transmission, GM’s Hydra-Matic 6L90 six-speed automatic transmission features steering-wheel- and console-shifter-activated tap up/tap down gear control, as well as driver-selectable modes that deliver different performance characteristics, i.e. shift points, shift firmness, for different driving conditions. Performance Algorithm Shifting is part of the 6L90’s controller programming and provides a performance-oriented shift pattern during sustained high-performance driving, such as at a racetrack.

A twin-plate torque converter clutch is used with the 6L90 transmission to match the torque output of the LSA engine – the first twin-plate configuration used with GM’s 300-mm torque converter. Like the dual-disc clutch of the six-speed manual transmission, the twin-plate converter clutch provides exceptional clamping power.

New, Performance Traction Management technology works with the CTS-V’s engine and transmissions to optimize traction and maximize the performance driving experience.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:15 PM

Terrible piston choice. Means no big boost on the stock bottom end.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:40 PM

Yeah...I'll take one of those in my Camaro pleeeeeeeeease.

I agree about the pistons, although maybe these are a better design...maybe the Piston oil squirters will help.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:40 PM

We've already discussed this here, haven't we?

LS9 = ZR1
LSA = CTS-V
LS8 = Z28
Old 01-08-2008, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by tireburnin
Terrible piston choice. Means no big boost on the stock bottom end.
A car like a Camaro might get a more noisy forged piston, where a Caddy can't have a rattle-prone piston.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
We've already discussed this here, haven't we?

LS9 = ZR1
LSA = CTS-V
LS8 = Z28
oh...OK, if I have to "settle" for an LS8...that's OK.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:35 PM

What is the LS8, and does anyone know how much power the six speed auto can handle?
Old 01-08-2008, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by cmg06s
What is the LS8, and does anyone know how much power the six speed auto can handle?
here's some LS8 info (But I wouldn't exactly call it official)
http://www.leftlanenews.com/a-detail...tor-plans.html
Old 01-08-2008, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by POWERFREAK
here's some LS8 info (But I wouldn't exactly call it official)
http://www.leftlanenews.com/a-detail...tor-plans.html
It seems they've been right so far, yeah?
Old 01-09-2008, 01:55 AM

I really hope that the LS-8 has higher than 475 HP, the extra weight of the SC and cooling would make it far less attractive for the additional cost.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:04 AM

That really concerns me that they went with hypereutectic pistons. It's a shame to handicap an engine of this magnitude. As stated above maybe the squirters will let the pistons see more boost. Even so I can't see anyone being able to put but maybe 3 or 4 lbs over stock. I also don't see the LS8 getting forged pistons since the LSA is higher up on the food chain. I guess only time will tell though.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by 95firehawk
That really concerns me that they went with hypereutectic pistons. It's a shame to handicap an engine of this magnitude. As stated above maybe the squirters will let the pistons see more boost. Even so I can't see anyone being able to put but maybe 3 or 4 lbs over stock. I also don't see the LS8 getting forged pistons since the LSA is higher up on the food chain. I guess only time will tell though.
You may be right, however I look at it this way...

GM knows the typical Cadillac buyer is someone with a little more money to spend, that wants luxury and class. The typical CTS-v buyer then wants a luxury car that performs well. They are less likely to wrench on their car themselves; more likely to leave it stock; and are more likely to opt for an extended warranty and have their dealer service their car. Therefore there is no real need to go exotic on parts.

The typical "performance" Camaro buyer is more likely to be an enthusiast that does work on his/her cars; more likely to tweak it for optimal performance or add performance parts to it; less likely to buy the extended warranty; etc. Knowing this, it would be suicide for GM to offer up a drivetrain that was weak from a durability standpoint on their topdog Camaro. GM knows this. While I wouldn't be surprised to see the LS8 (if that is the motor destined for the Z28) get hypereutectic pistons; I would expect that GM engineers have tested it for beyond stock boost levels and any other low-cost improvements enthusiasts would typically make to such an engine. Otherwise they'd be shooting themselves in the foot. However, I will hold out hope that it gets forged pistons and ends up being basically an LS9 with a different pulley and more restrictive exhaust.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cmg06s
There are a couple different versions of the six-speed auto. The 6L80 is used in the Corvette and has no trouble with LS3 power. There's also a 6L90, which is used in the gas-engine HD trucks. Suffice it to say, it handles a good bit of power.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:44 AM

GM knows the typical Cadillac buyer is someone with a little more money to spend, that wants luxury and class. The typical CTS-v buyer then wants a luxury car that performs well. They are less likely to wrench on their car themselves; more likely to leave it stock; and are more likely to opt for an extended warranty and have their dealer service their car. Therefore there is no real need to go exotic on parts.
The CTS-V guys on Cadillacforums do alot of mods to their cars, drive them hard and road race them quite abit.

If the new V has the same buyers as the old V, it gonna get modded and run hard.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:59 AM

You may be right, however I look at it this way...

The typical "performance" Camaro buyer is more likely to be an enthusiast that does work on his/her cars; more likely to tweak it for optimal performance or add performance parts to it; less likely to buy the extended warranty; etc. Knowing this, it would be suicide for GM to offer up a drivetrain that was weak from a durability standpoint on their topdog Camaro. GM knows this. While I wouldn't be surprised to see the LS8 (if that is the motor destined for the Z28) get hypereutectic pistons; I would expect that GM engineers have tested it for beyond stock boost levels and any other low-cost improvements enthusiasts would typically make to such an engine. Otherwise they'd be shooting themselves in the foot. However, I will hold out hope that it gets forged pistons and ends up being basically an LS9 with a different pulley and more restrictive exhaust.
Man I sure hope so!

Quick Reply: LSA is here....feeling of power is instant, strong and sustained.....................