2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums

L76 Powered Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Casull

As I said before though, I don't really care because i am not in the market for a V-6.... I want the 425+ HP V-8 baby!!!!
Yea, exact same situation here. Its obvious we are seriously running out of things to talk about on this forum
Old 02-19-2007, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by LandonElf
Yea, exact same situation here. Its obvious we are seriously running out of things to talk about on this forum
very true....
Old 02-20-2007, 07:13 AM

How many truck 5.3 liters do you think they have lating around? Slap the L92 heads on those blocks with the standard truck cam and there's your midlevel V8.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:12 AM

The way I see it, there will only be two V8's available. A LS3 for the ** and a 6.2L S/C LS* for the ***.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
The way I see it, there will only be two V8's available. A LS3 for the ** and a 6.2L S/C LS* for the ***.
I hope you are right...
Old 02-20-2007, 01:13 PM

Well, if thats the case, I will be buying my Camaro sooner then I thought, cause I dont see Camaro sustaining a production run of more then 3-4 years. If the ONLY option is a 425hp V8 engine, or a 500hp engine, that will do two things
#1- priced in the attainable range, that will put MASSIVE hp into the hands of kids that shouldnt be driving more then a 140hp Civics. What does mommy and daddy know?
#2- linked to #1...insurance rates will be through the friggin roof. 17 year olds killing themselves...great
#3- not everyone wants a 425hp car for under 30k, but not everyone wants to be stuck with a sub 300hp V6. This is where the Mustang is successful. If GM/Chevy cant see that, then they are blind.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
Well, if thats the case, I will be buying my Camaro sooner then I thought, cause I dont see Camaro sustaining a production run of more then 3-4 years. If the ONLY option is a 425hp V8 engine, or a 500hp engine, that will do two things
#1- priced in the attainable range, that will put MASSIVE hp into the hands of kids that shouldnt be driving more then a 140hp Civics. What does mommy and daddy know?
#2- linked to #1...insurance rates will be through the friggin roof. 17 year olds killing themselves...great
#3- not everyone wants a 425hp car for under 30k, but not everyone wants to be stuck with a sub 300hp V6. This is where the Mustang is successful. If GM/Chevy cant see that, then they are blind.
Looking at 1 and 2 as one unit, I personally don't think many 17yr olds will be driving around in new Camaro's. 'Attainable' to a 20something still isn't very 'attainable' to a 17yr old who is either still in high school or just graduating.

My first car (at 17) was a V8 Camaro Berlinetta my parents bought me. It was an '82 (it was 1991 when I got my license). How many 17yr olds are getting brand new Camaro's given to them? A few of the spoiled rotten ones perhaps, but certainly not enough for it to be a concern.

If you want to say perhaps when a USED 400hp Camaro is attainable to a 17yo it would be too much hp I could understand. But consider by the time they are available at that price 400 will probably be common, if not UNDER what average V8's are putting out at the time. I mean how long is it generally that a $30,000 (average original price) starts showing up on used car lots for a price that an average 17yr old can afford? 4 years? More? 4 years puts that at 2013. By 2013 400hp may be 'weak' when compared to other vehicles of the time.

Most people I know (average car buyers) that like the Mustang don't even give hp much consideration. I doubt many buyers look at the Mustang and think 'Ah, just enough hp. Not too much, not too little. Don't want something TOO powerful now.'

Eh, I'm rambling... LOL I just don't see the points your making as being as serious as you do. That's all.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:39 PM

A tuner in Australia swapped out the exhaust system on the Comodore VE and ended up with 362 HP at the rear wheels on the old L76. They estimate a 15% loss through the drive train, so that puts flywheel at 425+/-. I'm more that happy with a much lighter Camaro having an L76 if it responds that well to this sort of mod. I'll take the DOD fuel savings all day to boot.

Here's the link:

http://www.surefloexhaust.com.au/ve.htm
Old 02-21-2007, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by EllwynX
Looking at 1 and 2 as one unit, I personally don't think many 17yr olds will be driving around in new Camaro's. 'Attainable' to a 20something still isn't very 'attainable' to a 17yr old who is either still in high school or just graduating.

My first car (at 17) was a V8 Camaro Berlinetta my parents bought me. It was an '82 (it was 1991 when I got my license). How many 17yr olds are getting brand new Camaro's given to them? A few of the spoiled rotten ones perhaps, but certainly not enough for it to be a concern.
Enough to where it caused 4th gen insurance rates to get out of control. I knew a lot of kids that wanted the baddest thing on the block, and hi-po Fbodies and Cobra's were the ones they got mommy and daddy to buy.

If you want to say perhaps when a USED 400hp Camaro is attainable to a 17yo it would be too much hp I could understand. But consider by the time they are available at that price 400 will probably be common, if not UNDER what average V8's are putting out at the time. I mean how long is it generally that a $30,000 (average original price) starts showing up on used car lots for a price that an average 17yr old can afford? 4 years? More? 4 years puts that at 2013. By 2013 400hp may be 'weak' when compared to other vehicles of the time.
400hp is too much power for 95% of the 17 year olds, I dont care what the standard is. 400hp is a lot of power for pretty much anyone if they cant control it.

Most people I know (average car buyers) that like the Mustang don't even give hp much consideration. I doubt many buyers look at the Mustang and think 'Ah, just enough hp. Not too much, not too little. Don't want something TOO powerful now.'
Eh, I'm rambling... LOL I just don't see the points your making as being as serious as you do. That's all.
You dont know that, you are a car enthusiast. The way you and I look at cars is more power = better. I personaly dont care, I would LOVE to see a 425hp Camaro for about 30k. BUT, we can look to the past, and how the Camaro became an enthusiast car, while Mustang stayed a pony car. Not offereing variety and choices will only cause the Camaro to stumble in sales. Sure, V8 sales will always be there, as they were for the 4th gen and every other gen, but there is a BIG market in the middle that really just wants a solid V8 Camaro, not with tons of hp or all this extra stuff that is gunna have to be equpied with a 425hp Camaro, they dont want to pay the price of all that, and they dont want to have a sub-300hp V6 car either. People want a 300-380hp V8, and the current Mustang GT fills this need and sells WELL!! For Chevy to skip over this while they have the hardware in the L76 is just dumb!! Not having a mid 300hp V8 in Camaro will hurt it, when there all there is to choose from is a 280hp V6 or a 425hp V8. Thats pretty much the same exact gap that 4th gens had, and left everyone else in the middle that had no aliance to GM in either a Mustang GT or several other vehicles.
Ergonomics, variety and design will be where Camaro wins, not in having the biggest engine under 30k. Frankly, I would rather GM charge over 35k for a Z28. 30k for 425hp means to me that they had to cut corners somewhere. Brakes, suspension, quality, what have you...If I have a 425hp Camaro, i want it to stop too, take a turn without tipping over, and not be a rattle trap in 30k miles.

edit: look at this 87 Training vid for the Camaro. They knew THEN what people wanted from Camaro. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NQrnkjbGiY&NR

Last edited by Big Als Z; 02-21-2007 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:10 PM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

Al, why are you assuming the best GM can get out of a V6 is only 280HP?
Old 02-21-2007, 07:37 PM

I know its not the best, but I dont see them putting in anything more powerful then a 300-310hp V6 passed down from Caddy's CTS.
My problem is that even with a 310hp V6, that leaves a lot of open ground between that and a V8, the ONLY V8 option.
The way I see it is this, with the other Zeta cars probably getting an L76, what exactly be the increase in cost in all of this? I dont see an Impala with a V6 or a 425hp V8 option going against a Hemi Charger/300 in the 350-370hp range, and a "Boss" powered RWD sedans from Ford.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
I know its not the best, but I dont see them putting in anything more powerful then a 300-310hp V6 passed down from Caddy's CTS.
My problem is that even with a 310hp V6, that leaves a lot of open ground between that and a V8, the ONLY V8 option.
The way I see it is this, with the other Zeta cars probably getting an L76, what exactly be the increase in cost in all of this? I dont see an Impala with a V6 or a 425hp V8 option going against a Hemi Charger/300 in the 350-370hp range, and a "Boss" powered RWD sedans from Ford.

I would be shocked to not see the L76 or the newest version of that engine be the "base" v8. Isn't the Boss 5.0 base version starting at 330HP? That would be the family. As the car lines start to meld down, maybe the automakers will introduce more engine options. Guy will have to chime in to explain if any of this is feasable or not....
Old 02-21-2007, 10:25 PM

I'm new to this forum is the I6 out of the trailblazer too long for the new camaro. Its got 291 hp but I heard its pricer to produce because of the dohc. I have a 2002 Trailblazer with one I like the motor so far. But 425 hp sounds good to me.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:25 AM

The Atlas 4200 Inline 6 is too long and too tall to put in anything other then a truck.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:34 AM

That's too bad. A straight six would be cool for nostalgia reasons. Oh well. I guess we'll have to be content with whatever V6 they put in it. *sigh*

Quick Reply: L76 Powered Camaro?