2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums

Exhaust: Axle-back or Cat-back

Old 07-28-2011, 10:32 AM

Exhaust: Axle-back or Cat-back

So I finally purchased my first Camaro and I am looking to upgrade the exhaust. I really like the borla systems and looking at the S-Type or the Atak system. My question is - is there any real benefit to doing a Cat-back system over an Axle-back system? Will the Cat-back give a better flow to the system or will an Axle-back be sufficient. I am also adding a K&N CAI and I want to get the best bang for the buck. Thanks for your help.

Also, was wondering how many people have the borla Atak and if it is really loud or not too bad on the inside of the car?
Old 07-28-2011, 12:18 PM

Re: Exhaust: Axle-back or Cat-back

i have the s type catback on my car. if you dont want to buy the whole catback, the axle back will be fine. its the same diameter pipe as the stock anyways(2 1/2").
Old 07-28-2011, 03:37 PM

axel back will work fine...but I prefer the catback for the 5th gens..larger pipes release the aggression a little more.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:11 PM

Cat back w/ x-pipe will flow better than axle back & have a more aggressive sound. Stock has 2 resonators. A cat back will probably give a bit more drone @ hwy speeds.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by malachi85
axel back will work fine...but I prefer the catback for the 5th gens..larger pipes release the aggression a little more.
the borla is 2 1/2", just like stock. unless he chooses a different company and goes to a 3".
Old 07-29-2011, 12:58 PM

Thanks everyone for the help. I think I am going to go with the Cat-Back system and go middle of the road with the S-Type from Borla. I like the sound of the ATAK but I also like listening to the radio. Appreciate the help.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:45 PM

is the atak louder than the s-type?
Old 07-30-2011, 09:49 AM

Another thing to consider is whether or not you plan to do Headers at any point in time. Most header systems have their own X-Pipe and mids. If you plan on going long tubes later on it may be a better idea to just get the axle-back and then get the rest of the piping with the long tubes. Otherwise, you'll probably end up scrapping everything before the Axle-Back anyway.

If you never plan on getting long tubes, spend the extra money on the cat-back.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:44 AM

why would you not be able to use long tubes with a catback? i got my borla catback and then later installed their long tube headers.....never scapped any part of the exhaust. it was meant to go together.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
why would you not be able to use long tubes with a catback? i got my borla catback and then later installed their long tube headers.....never scapped any part of the exhaust. it was meant to go together.
The only reason that would work is if you matched catback to headers. Not all header systems are just headers. So for example LG long tube headers give you the x pipe and mids as part of the headers. So if I buy a Borla cat-back and then LG headers I would now have two sets of mids and X Pipes and the ones with the cat-back were not designed to work with the headers.

Not everyone is going to buy headers and a cat-back from the same manufacturer.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:42 PM

Is your car an A6 or M6 ? If its an A6 and you do a cat back the afm is going to drive you nuts unless you tune it out, it drove me nuts

The A6 has a giant resonator thats pretty heavy so an Xpipe is a good replacement. If you cars an M6 doing a axle back is fine because the M6 cars come with an H pipe stock. Another option I considered was buying the edelbrock X pipe for $128 its stainless then adding the axle back of your choice, this will save you a few dollars. I have seen the edelbrock its pretty nice and priced pretty cheap afew of my guys have it its sounds the same as my original spintech x and a lot cheaper,
Old 08-02-2011, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by speedracrr6
So I finally purchased my first Camaro and I am looking to upgrade the exhaust. I really like the borla systems and looking at the S-Type or the Atak system. My question is - is there any real benefit to doing a Cat-back system over an Axle-back system? Will the Cat-back give a better flow to the system or will an Axle-back be sufficient. I am also adding a K&N CAI and I want to get the best bang for the buck. Thanks for your help.

Also, was wondering how many people have the borla Atak and if it is really loud or not too bad on the inside of the car?
you can try adding a KN filter first before you spend the money on a whole cai, you can always sell the KN on ebay.
Also if you are worried about inside noise the only exhaust I have seen so far that really doesnt drone is the american racing set up

Borla atak sounds insane but it is loud very loud.

also the X will flow better than the res (a6) on the M6 cars the H and the X its a whole other debate but I dont think theres a real noticable difference

this my set up
ARH 1 7/8s headers and 3 inch x pipe spintech axle back,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJEaS2j0Th8

Last edited by Mucker15; 08-02-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mucker15
you can try adding a KN filter first before you spend the money on a whole cai, you can always sell the KN on ebay.
Also if you are worried about inside noise the only exhaust I have seen so far that really doesnt drone is the american racing set up

Borla atak sounds insane but it is loud very loud.

also the X will flow better than the res (a6) on the M6 cars the H and the X its a whole other debate but I dont think theres a real noticable difference

this my set up
ARH 1 7/8s headers and 3 inch x pipe spintech axle back,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJEaS2j0Th8
The biggest difference between an H pipe and an X pipe is the way the car reacts under deceleration. With an H pipe you are more likely to get that popping sound under deceleration than with an X pipe. X pipes do flow a little better but you won't be writing home to mom about it. The biggest reason to get the X pipe over H pipe is the improved sound characteristics.