2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums

! Engine Power is Reduced

Old 01-04-2010, 11:51 AM

! Engine Power is Reduced

Message came on this morning in the last mile of my commute to work and I lost all but limping power, enough to get off the freeway and make it to the office parking lot.

I've got 9,000 miles on my 2SS.

Anyone else had this problem? I don't know what the errors are yet, I am waiting to be towed in for service.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this problem.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Admin Emeritus

UGH! Not fun at all. Definitely get it to a dealership and let us know how it turns out.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:40 PM

I had it towed to the dealer same day. When they turned it on the "! Engine Power is Reduced" message cleared but the check engine light remained. I don't have the paperwork with me so I'll post the error code later but the Service Tech told me that the issue was the "accelerator linkage".

They "uploaded software upgrades" and "were unable to duplicate the error".

I would rather learn that something broke and that they fixed it but I'm stuck with "we couldn't make it happen again". I hope the software fix was the thing.

They also think they found an oil leak so they added dye and asked me to put another 500-1000 miles on and bring it back to re-check.

I have put 600 plus miles on since getting it back (nice drive from LA to Vegas and back) and will try to get it back to the shop later this week.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:47 PM

"P2138 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor" was the problem

Anyone know what this really means and/or if it is cause for any concern?

It sure isn't fun to have the car power down to limp mode while driving on the freeway in traffic.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:40 PM

FWIW, Other GM vehicles have apparently had the same issue:

Condition:
Some customers may comment on an intermittent MIL/SES light Illuminated with a message center or an indicator that displays Reduced Engine Power. DTC P2138 - Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor 1-2 Correlation may be set. The voltage difference between APP sensor 1 and APP sensor 2 exceeds a predetermined value for more than 2 seconds. Refer to DTC P2138 in SI for further diagnostics.

Cause:
On some vehicles, the IP to body harness connector, which carries the APP signal to the ECM/PCM, is located in the left hand kick panel area and if the kick panel is not sealed properly, water enters and causes a short in the APP circuits setting a P2138 code.

Correction:
Important: Do Not replace the accelerator pedal assembly.

Locate the IP to body harness connector, which may be located in and around the left hand kick panel area. Check to see if there is a water leak into the area and repair as necessary.
http://coloradofans.com/forums/viewt...hp?f=8&t=58146
Old 02-02-2010, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Fredl
"P2138 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor" was the problem

Anyone know what this really means and/or if it is cause for any concern?

It sure isn't fun to have the car power down to limp mode while driving on the freeway in traffic.
I had the same problem, after sitting overnight because I didn’t want to sit at the dealer overnight, no more codes and everything seemed ok.

Got my car back yesterday, there was water in the linkage that they think might have been the problem. I asked about the HVAC making a gurgling noise and of course they could not find it.

So hoping that it is fixed and no more issues.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:14 PM

air in the heater can cause gurgling noises , there was a bulletin back in 05 on the impala - bleeding procedure
Old 02-03-2010, 11:31 AM

Just FYI,

The 2002+ trucks have the same problem.

It's the wiring going into the throttlebody. They were breaking right at the weather connection. Solution is to wire in longer leads or re-make the connector. Sometimes a wire slides out.

90% of the issues were cold weather related.

Our truck had the same error message: Engine Power Reduced. Traction Control and Active Handling disabled. The dealer re-wired the TB connector and it fixed the problem.

Last edited by Gripenfelter; 02-03-2010 at 11:49 AM.