2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums

engine cover on or off?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 08:20 AM

engine cover on or off?

hi folks, im a newbie, wrote a detailed intro about the circustances that lead me to your site.....well..it somehow vanished, into cyber space i presume, i was not happy. anyway im a 50 year old female, no children, no husband, hetrosexual, bunch of cats.....and of course my new 2010 v6 rs camero. question to you guys....my brother looked under the hood yesterday, took off the engine cover and highly suggested that i keep that thing off. that it holds in lots of heat, and my engine will be happier without it, eng will run cooler = more power= longer life. so what do you folks do/think?? it sounds sensable to me, of course my eng will get dirty but thats trivial compared to advantages of running with a cooler engine. ..(fyi) i had a 1993 supercharged bonneville sse, i bought her new. just last fall she turned 100,000m, kept her pristine, but in the last 2 months she cost me a chunk of money to have fixed, then last week she bit the dust big time, had to have her towed to dealership.. skip (service man ive had ever since i bought the car!) came to me with really bad news, i needed a new engine!! i was sobbing (really) in the waiting area, he came back and told me they could get an engine with 88,000 on it. i called my brother, he said he knows how much the (PANTHR5) bonnie has meant to me, but its time to put her down and get a reliable vehicle. i cried some more!!!! o.k. this is what im getting to.....i bought a camero....ive retired the "panther5" plates and have ordered new personal plates for my new baby....it will read ..."SCREAMS".....well thats all for now..anxiously waiting your responses about leaving that eng cover off. oh... and im disapointed that the rocker panels/running board ( remember in a girl, so play along) dont have any sort of covering to protect the painted finish, seem to me some protection for that area is in order....are there stock parts (Plastic/ chrome???) i can order to protect it??? or aftermarket stuff?? what do you say.....thanks alot ,corinne
Old 05-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Admin Emeritus

I don't think it will be a problem to run with the engine on, they have done extensive hot weather testing with it on before production. I think it would come down to preference more than anything.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:49 PM

first of all, welcome to the site - i really like your taste in vehicles

like jason said, it is more a preference choice, you may help keeps temps down a bit - but only a bit and any gains would be unmeasurable - dyno, track, or even SOTP (seat of the pants, or butt dyno)

post some pics and stick around a while, this is the greatest source of camaro information out there, and there is always a good conversation going on in the lounge so stop by some time