2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums

A detailed look at GM's LS motor plans... cool info.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 11:36 AM

A detailed look at GM's LS motor plans... cool info.....

http://www.leftlanenews.com/a-detail...tor-plans.html

With so much incorrect information out there about GM's future LS motors, we though it would be a good time to query our sources and get the real deal. From the Cadillac CTS-V to the Corvette ZR1, we take a look at the LSA, LS7, LS8, LST, and LS9.

LS7

This is, of course, the current 7.0-liter, naturally aspirated motor in the Z06. It's handbuilt at GM's Wixom performance center and is very expensive to make. Too expensive with the LS9 motor coming. While there will be several months where the LS7 and LS9 will be built at Wixom, the LS7 will eventually die, probably sometime between late-2009 or mid-2010.

Several publications have repeatedly insisted the new CTS-V will be powered by the LS7, but this is completely false. GM cannot spend engineering dollars on a CTS-V to start with the LS7, then 12 to 18 months later, switch motors after the LS7 is discontinued. Rather, the super Caddy will feature an all-new powerplant.

LSA

The LSA will find its way under the hood of the 2009 Cadillac CTS-V. The LSA is a 6.2-liter, smallblock V8 with a supercharger. It features an intercooler integrated into the intake manifold.

Preliminary specs have it over 500 horsepower with a choice of manual or automatic transmissions. The CTS-V will start production in September of 2008 with this motor. Look for around 6000 to 8000 units annually.

Original plans also had the LSA going into an Escalade V-series truck. However justifying the development cost — not to mention CAFE considerations — might put possibility of such a truck in jeporady. At present, it is unclear whether the Escalade-V a truck is still part of the plan.

LS8

This is another 6.2-liter, smallblock V8 with a supercharger. It also features an intercooler integrated into the intake manifold. This will be the motor going into the top-end Zeta platform cars. The most premium Camaro, probably called Z28, will get this motor.

That said, original plans had this motor going into a Denali SUV or truck, however, those plans now seem to be canceled. Again, this maybe a result of CAFE.

Some of Holden's vehicles may also get this motor eventually. Initial specs have this motor at 475 to 500 horsepower with a choice of manual or automatic transmissions.

When the LS7 dies, the Z06 will get this motor. Possibly, slightly uptuned from the version the Zeta cars would get. This motor will start production in first or second quarter of 2010.

LST

Yet another 6.2-liter, smallblock V8 with a supercharger. It also features an intercooler integrated into the intake manifold. This motor may or may not still be in GM's plans. The original plan was to put it in GM's Heavy Duty trucks.

Delivering in excess of 450 pound-feet of torque, it was set to start in the middle of 2008. However, it now seems this motor may no longer be part of the plan. GM may have decided its diesel offerings were sufficient. It's also possible GM had a hard time justifying the cost of development. Of course, CAFE might have also played a role.

LS9

This is the 6.2-liter, smallblock V8 with a supercharger going into the ZR-1 Corvette. Like all the others, it has an intercooler integrated into the intake manifold. Original specs had this motor at 600 horsepower and 550 to 560 pound-feet of torque. It now seems the horsepower rating may have jumped to as much as 650.

If that's true, it would probably be safe to estimate a similar jump in torque to around 600 ft lbs. Sources have stated the LS9 can make 700hp on a test stand. Obviously though, that is without a car attached to the motor. Don't look for any production hp number starting with "seven."

It now appears an auto/paddle shift may also be an option on the ZR-1. This motor will be handbuilt at GM's Wixom performance center. They will only make 1500 to 2000 units a year. Production of the ZR-1 starts in July of 2008.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:52 AM

IF (and that's a big if) these are all true, I'm wondering if the jump between LS8 (Z28, Z06) and LS9 (ZR1) will be a pully and cam swap. You have to imagine they'll be using similar strength internals and bottom ends.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:06 PM

If the intercoolers are different it would be a b***ch of a swap.

I thought the LS8 was dead and the Z28 would get the LSA. It also does not make sense whatsoever that the Z06 Corvette would have less output than the Cadillac CTS-V. The Z06 will still be the bread-and-butter top Corvette for the masses, while the ZR-1 will be the ultra rare Porsche/Ferrari chaser. Something sounds fishy to me.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by 2001Firehawk
LS8

This is another 6.2-liter, smallblock V8 with a supercharger. It also features an intercooler integrated into the intake manifold. This will be the motor going into the top-end Zeta platform cars. The most premium Camaro, probably called Z28, will get this motor.

That said, original plans had this motor going into a Denali SUV or truck, however, those plans now seem to be canceled. Again, this maybe a result of CAFE.

Some of Holden's vehicles may also get this motor eventually. Initial specs have this motor at 475 to 500 horsepower with a choice of manual or automatic transmissions.

When the LS7 dies, the Z06 will get this motor. Possibly, slightly uptuned from the version the Zeta cars would get. This motor will start production in first or second quarter of 2010.
Does this mean a Z/28 will not be available until MY2011? That would probably mean an 18 month delay from the first 5th gens to the Z/28. I've never been a fan of the staggered roll out, but 500hp makes it a bit easier to take........
Old 10-30-2007, 12:52 PM

It would seem to me that the LSA, LST, and LS8 would be a duplication of effort. They're all 6.2L, intercooled, and seem to have roughly the same power levels. Perhaps they're all referring to the same motor?

I don't think it would it be too far fetched to think that LS8 is the designation for the motor and that LSA would be the program to put it in anN Auto, and LST is the program to put in in a Truck.

If this is "real" information, the statement "The LSA will find its way under the hood of the 2009 Cadillac CTS-V. .........The CTS-V will start production in September of 2008 with this motor." is VERY INTERESTING to say the least.

I know I sound like a broken record with my suspicions that GM may surprise us with releasing the "bad-***" Camaro in THE FIRST YEAR, but IF this info is "real", it only REINFORCES this suspicion to me.

......and if so

So I'll say it again:
I SUSPECT THE "TOP" (Z28, Bad-***, STFU...whatever) CAMARO WILL BE OUT THE FIRST YEAR.

Last edited by Ron78Z&01SS; 10-30-2007 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Shellhead
Does this mean a Z/28 will not be available until MY2011? That would probably mean an 18 month delay from the first 5th gens to the Z/28. I've never been a fan of the staggered roll out, but 500hp makes it a bit easier to take........
That's been discussed in the past and even RP suggested a 18 month delay from launch to the Z/28. I believe that there will still be a Camaro SS in MY 2010 with ~400+hp.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:14 PM

I wish, "someone" would point us in any direction with this...preferably, the right direction...
Old 10-31-2007, 04:03 AM

I dont like the sound of a supercharged v8 for a hd truck.

Thats awsome that GM is coming out with these engines. The LSX family continues get stronger as the years go on. But lets pray these engines have forged internals for the boost.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:34 PM

These are great days to be a HP junkie... I doubt they will last with gas prices and CAFE requirements.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:41 PM

From what ive heard from companies I deal with thst build parts for the new motors, there are going to be three derivatives, one for the vette, one for the camaro/cts, and one for the trucks, and all low volume. So im guessing the camaro will be v6, v8, sc v8

Last edited by cjmatt; 11-01-2007 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
The Z06 will still be the bread-and-butter top Corvette for the masses, while the ZR-1 will be the ultra rare Porsche/Ferrari chaser. Something sounds fishy to me.
The current Z06 IS the Porsche/ Ferrari equal in performance or were you refereing strictly to the Enzo and Porsche GT which are the only two the current Z06 cannot play with yet? In this scenario the ZR1 will be positioned to embaress them also.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:00 AM

GM going blower crazy?