2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums

Breaking in the LS3 in my new SS

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 04:16 PM

It wouldn't surprise me...it's got a nine quart capacity.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by airflowdevelop
Well... I hate to take the wind out of your sail... but the rings are seated when you get it!

if manual...the clutch / trans is a different story. I would keep the speed varied...and no high speed runs / hard shifts for the first few hundred miles.

All of the above information should be in your owners manual.

after you get a few hundred on the clock...let her eat!

I just bought a 09 c6 end of last week... (In place of my 2 ss order)... she has just over 250 on the clock... and the trans / clutch now is about as good as it is going to get.

I would ignore any extremists!!! 1950 wants their break in technology back!
Not true

Originally Posted by Camaro_Nut
Question, how are you so sure of this?
He isn't. All engine are "cold run" at the factory before leaving, meaning that they roll them over, but no fuel or spark. The only engines that are ran i believe, are the LS7's, and possibly the LS9's Anyways, an engine's rings will not properly seat until the engine is ran under a load, causing the rings to fully expand and seat/wear-in with the cylinder wall. This is accomplished with some...i said....some spirited driving, but that is accomplished with the normal acceleration followed by the break-in procedure, and the occasional full throttle blip we all know will occur.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:41 AM

wrong answer. Please tell me your source of this rhetoric?
Old 07-09-2009, 12:21 PM

In the new GM hardcover book about the development of the 2010 Camaro ("A Legend is Born"), it is stated that the cars are run on rollers up to 5000 RPM right off the assembly line. As part of the same process, the cars are driven over a simulated bumpy road to check for squeaks and rattles, and then blasted with high-pressure water to check for leaks.
It seems that GM violates their own break-in guidelines when the cars are as green as can be.
My plan is to drive the car for about 200 miles, then change the oil and let it eat.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:44 AM

good plan. change early. change again at 1000 or 2000 miles...I have not been gentle on my car during break in. Runs great...
Old 07-23-2009, 03:03 PM

don't worry, you'll have a hundred other minor and major problems to fix other than your piston rings and bearings over the next 175,000 miles.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by ZYA_LTR
Not true

He isn't. All engine are "cold run" at the factory before leaving, meaning that they roll them over, but no fuel or spark. The only engines that are ran i believe, are the LS7's, and possibly the LS9's Anyways, an engine's rings will not properly seat until the engine is ran under a load, causing the rings to fully expand and seat/wear-in with the cylinder wall. This is accomplished with some...i said....some spirited driving, but that is accomplished with the normal acceleration followed by the break-in procedure, and the occasional full throttle blip we all know will occur.
how are you so sure?

rings to fully expand? you make this up on your own? the ring is fully expanded when it is in the box!

stop picking fights... internet commando.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by airflowdevelop
how are you so sure?

rings to fully expand? you make this up on your own? the ring is fully expanded when it is in the box!

stop picking fights... internet commando.
Since i have obviously struck a nerve, and you feel the need to be an internet toughguy yourself, here are a few instances to back up my experience working as both an engine builder, and a dyno test technician for your U.S. Army that sees these things every day. I could produce government studies and paperwork to bury you with data, but most of the same data is readily available online, so here ya go....Internet Commando returning fire. I'm Not trying to pick fights, just trying to inform theose who believe everything they read online. An engine needs some "spirited" driving during initial break-in to properly seat the rings. And yes, all rings are under tension when installed, but not proper tension/wear-in to properly mate with the cylinder wall for a tight seal long-term. Feel free to contact any engine builder worth his salt, and they will agree that to baby an engine during break-in isn't the best idea, but then again, don't beat the hell out of it. Try contacing Pat Musi, Nelson Racing, or any other well known builders, hell even a GM engineer or two, we have several former auto industry engineers working for us in my building that worked in various design and testing departments.

Just a few examples below for your reading pleasure.

http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm

Aerospace/Plane related, but still relative, many of the race engines we built were still broken in using mineral oil due to it's lower lubricity to allow parts to wear-in or properly seat.

http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/182895-1.html

http://www.enginesonly.com/break-in.html

http://www.hdtalking.com/harley_davi...ew_motors.html

http://www.factoryengines.com/docs/T...ght%20Tips.pdf

Thank you an have a nice day!

Internet commando signing off!

Last edited by ZYA_LTR; 07-24-2009 at 11:47 AM.