2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which "formula" best fits your idea of a 5th gen Z/28?
GT500. All motor, damn everything else.
4.31%
Corvette Z51. Good power, good balance.
28.45%
Mustang GT. Affordable, entry level V8.
7.76%
Corvette Z06. Very focused, top notch performer.
59.48%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Z/28. Which formula best applies?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 09:02 PM

Chevy isn't going to compete with itself. That means one of two things:

1.) Unleash the beast all over the streets. Completely dominate the pony car market by offering a plethora of engine/trim options. Up to and including the new LS9 when in comes out.

If this option is chosen, the Corvette will be discontinued. Even if they don't offer the LS9, the Corvette's sales will lag as those looking for their high powered-high buck kick look to other cars when the average Joe with $45,000 can beat a two year old Corvette. Although the Corvette is the pinnacle of "American Icon", it will be lost if the Z/28 package is all yall think it's going to be.

2.) Offer package options that just PwNaGe!11!1!!1!!!11! the Stang, but will leave the high end performance ring nearly untouched. The only possible breach of this is a very limited edition Camaro that's a GT500 killer.

I think this will be the route taken. Chevy doesn't want to compete with itself, and despite the "at the end of it's line" look, the Corvette is still the heart's desire of many (Including me) Americans.
The Z/28 package will probably be the 6.2l SC engine, with minor weight reduction thrown in. This will be the GT500 killer, and thus the limited edition Camaro.
The SS will be the standard top of the line Camaro. It'll be a 6.2l V8 engine, and have more than enough power to compete with the GT Stang (What a joke), and will be in direct competition with the Challenger.
I have no idea what the base line package will be called, or what all engines will be offered in the base coupe.

I'm praying they'll have a SS 'vert. And I don't usually pray.
- Rich
Old 11-06-2007, 09:29 PM

I love posting this up :

Autoblog: Is there concern about stepping on the Corvette, power-wise?

Ed Peper: No. Because again, the capabilities of a Corvette are world class. I mean, we are talking about a vehicle that competes in the American Le Mans Series with Aston Martins and all –no, there is no concern because what the Camaro is going to be is what it has always been, which is a really great looking vehicle that will have a muscle car or muscle car set of derivatives with it, but that will also have a fuel efficient version. It's a vehicle that you really, really can drive every single day -- a four seater and so forth, while Corvette is in a class all by itself. It's one of our ultimate brands at the company that just continues to do well. We try to keep the production, you know, in line and not build too many so it keeps a very strong demand. The Z06s are some of the fastest turning vehicles that we have.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by _R$_
1.) Unleash the beast all over the streets. Completely dominate the pony car market by offering a plethora of engine/trim options. Up to and including the new LS9 when in comes out.

If this option is chosen, the Corvette will be discontinued.
I don't think that is the case. Probably >90% of people that buy a Corvette are not worrying where it stacks up to other cars, and especially not to Pony cars. If the Z28 was a racecar Camaro that is street legal (a la Z06) and even happened to outperform the base Corvette I doubt it would steal more than just a few sales of the Plastic Fantastic. I think you would find that there are Corvette enthusiasts and Camaro enthusiasts with a few mercenary performance guys. But by and large those that really want a Corvette will by a Corvette even if a comparably priced Camaro trim runs with it or ahead of it. I know if I was in a position to chose between a somewhat quicker $45,000 Z28 and a $50,000 base Corvette, I would take the Corvette.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:09 AM

I don't think that is the case. Probably >90% of people that buy a Corvette are not worrying where it stacks up to other cars, and especially not to Pony cars. If the Z28 was a racecar Camaro that is street legal (a la Z06) and even happened to outperform the base Corvette I doubt it would steal more than just a few sales of the Plastic Fantastic.
I agree, buying cars of that caliber is more about name and image, which was earned only in part by performance, and more by style and quality, fit and finish.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:36 AM

Agreed more on making the Z28 the Z06 of Camaro.
More light weight additions could be used. If the Tahoe can have an aluminum hood and trunk, why cant Camaro? That could shave some pounds. But whatever is taken off, will most likely be put back on with the addition of larger brakes.
Which brings up another thought. That if GM had the forsight to keep the 5x4.75 bolt pattern, they could in turn make hubs for the Camaro so that the Camaro and Corvette could share brake components, which overall would shrink costs of the brake systems themselves, benfiting the Camaro and Corvette, not to mention help out hot rodders who might want to swap up to a set of ZR1 carbon ceramic pads and calipers, or for GM to make a SCCA race car using parts bin stuff.
But I guess they could keep the Holden pattern and use HSV designed super brakes, either way we are good!!

Z28's target should be the Z51 as far as handling, power, feel, performance and maybe a notch or 2 above that.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
Z28's target should be the Z51 as far as handling, power, feel, performance and maybe a notch or 2 above that.
Well Chevy used to say about the Z/28: "Closest thing to a Corvette yet".

But in all honestly, that'll be a tall order - especially if Camaro ends up being a pig, weightwise.

Look no further than the GT500 as an example. Even with 25% more horsepower than a base Vette, the GT500's ridiculous avoirdupois, sucks up any possible performance advantage from it, which allows the base Corvette to totally b!tch slap it in every performance metric you can think of.

If the Camaro comes in heavy, we won't be comparing it with a Z51, not even close. Not even in the same league. We'll be comparing it to the two ton Challenger and G8. And that would be a crying shame for a Z/28...

Last edited by Z284ever; 11-08-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever

But in all honestly, that'll be a tall order - especially if Camaro ends up being a pig, weightwise.

Look no further than the GT500 as an example. Even with 25% more horsepower than a base Vette, the GT500's ridiculous avoirdupois, sucks up any possible performance advantage from it.

If the Camaro comes in heavy, we won't be comparing it with a Z51, not even close. Not even in the same league. We'll be comparing it to the two ton Challenger and G8. And that would be a crying shame for a Z/28...
It would be, but I think there could be cost effective ways to reduce weight on Camaro. I think use of carbon fiber will drive price up too high. I think that best case for Z28 that with the added gear of larger brakes, tires, wheels, suspension, and other things, if Team Camaro could MATCH the weight of a standard V8 Camaro, that we could sell a hell of a sports car. The 08 Z51 is better then last gens Z06, so it would be a great target for the Z28.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
The 08 Z51 is better then last gens Z06, so it would be a great target for the Z28.
I'd be very happy with that. But it'll take a full 500 or so hp and no more than about a 3,500 lbs curb weight.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:43 PM

As would I, and I think it would probably be one of the best sports cars availale on the market. I think that Chevy could pull it off.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:49 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

actually - we said that the Camaro "......is the closest thing to a Vette Yet..." -- there were print ads -- featuring the Z28 -- but the video ads featured a Camaro Rally Sport (1971) chasing a Corvette around the Mesa Proving grounds -- with a camera mounted to the passenger side door -- -- and the final line in the ad was something along the lines of "prove it to yourself by visiting your local Chevy dealer today......"
Old 11-09-2007, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
actually - we said that the Camaro "......is the closest thing to a Vette Yet..." -- there were print ads -- featuring the Z28 -- but the video ads featured a Camaro Rally Sport (1971) chasing a Corvette around the Mesa Proving grounds -- with a camera mounted to the passenger side door -- -- and the final line in the ad was something along the lines of "prove it to yourself by visiting your local Chevy dealer today......"

Whats old is new again....
Id like to see a commercial like that again. We saw something like that with the Corvette and the Cobalt SS. I miss those commercials.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
Here's one.

EDIT: Can anyone make this bigger? I remember I had this ad on my bedroom wall for years.

Last edited by Z284ever; 11-09-2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:38 PM

Here's another cool Camaro/Corvette ad.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:41 PM

Here's another cool Camaro/Corvette ad.

There is one, and another with a 71 Vette and Camaro parked next to eachother, but its too small.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:11 PM

Wow. I didn't realize Chevy had such a brotherly thing going on with the Camaro + Corvette! It's great seeing these adds!

All I was saying is that Chevy ain't going to compete with itself. One poster said it best: "Between a $50,000 Vette and a $45,000 Camaro that is a little faster, I'd pick the Vette". Most people wouldn't buy a Z/28 Camaro if they could afford a more prestigious car with similar performance. I think Z/28 is going to be all about light and quick. It may not have the most horsepower, but it is sure as hell fastest around the city. Which also means it's going to get special parts. Expensive parts.
- Rich

Quick Reply: Z/28. Which formula best applies?