2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which "formula" best fits your idea of a 5th gen Z/28?
GT500. All motor, damn everything else.
4.31%
Corvette Z51. Good power, good balance.
28.45%
Mustang GT. Affordable, entry level V8.
7.76%
Corvette Z06. Very focused, top notch performer.
59.48%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Z/28. Which formula best applies?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by 95firehawk
....The GT500's power wasn't thought of when they designed the Mustang's new platform...
How do you know this? Please cite your source.

Thanks.
Bob
Old 11-05-2007, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
Unless the Z28 is a special edition that only appears once in a while does it make sense that it should be as focused as a Z06? .
I'd say focus doesn't necessarily mean an exotic price tag. Focus means, well, focus. Certainly, adding some extra light weight material here and there, would increase cost incrementally. Perhaps some specialized hardware like premium calipers or sport seats may add to that.

But focus also means sweating the details, going through components and systems and fine tuning them. Sure, you'll pay a premium. But it doesn't have to be that much more than the next lower model.

There are alot of cars which I would consider very performance focused, yet without an exotic price tag.

SVT for example, brought an intense level of focus to the party with the SVT Contour. There wasn't one component or system that SVT didn't go through and massage for that car. And I don't mean the obvious anti-sway bars, bushings, dampers either - although they totally retuned that stuff. They looked at every off-the-shelf part in their global parts bin, and hand picked the best ones for the package. Mideast market cooling system. European Ford ST brakes. They also replaced specific components with specialized parts which were comparable in cost to the stock components. Specific trans gear ratios with lighter flywheel. Extrude honed intake. Larger throttle body and air intake. Exhaust painstakingly tuned for power and sound. And on and on. After all of that, the SVT version wasn't really all that much more expensive than the civilian model but it sure was marketly better performance-wise.

Anyways, the Z06 does carry abit of exotica, but it's price tag is determined more by marketing than it is by it's parts plus labor. Subtract the aluminum frame and dry sump, and is there really anything so exotic on the Z06 which would preclude it's use on a Z/28? Other than just a couple of pricey items, what differentiates the Z06 from a base Corvette, is the focus that is engineered into it.

Last edited by Z284ever; 11-06-2007 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:36 PM

That isn't a completely valid question in my mind. It will cost a few dollars to give it carbon fiber panels, and a magnesium engine cradle that moves the motor further rearward and lower (if that is even possible in a Zeta), but sure you could do that or steal the Z06 brakes, make a few composite or carbon Z28 specific body panels, or even give it a dual mode exhaust too. Certainly if they were to use the philosophy that SVT had with the Contour it would make a fine Z28 without breaking the bank. Maybe there should have been a SVT Contour option in the poll A Camaro upgraded with raided parts could be a very quick car and perhaps even very focused. But in my opinion still would not be quite the same thing as a Z06 which is sort of a blend of the base car and the race car. In my mind the aluminum frame, carbon fiber, dry sump oiling, and engine relocation are part of the things that are inherent to the focus of the Z06 now.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:07 AM

Z06 of Camaros is what the Z28 should and will be!

I can't believe no one else besides me noticed a vote in the, "Corvette Z06. Very focused, top notch performer" column by someone that happens to have the name of Fbodfather!

Last edited by IZ28; 11-06-2007 at 04:10 AM.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:01 AM
SEMA Media Team

Originally Posted by IZ28

I can't believe no one else besides me noticed a vote in the, "Corvette Z06. Very focused, top notch performer" column by someone that happens to have the name of Fbodfather!
nope I saw it too
Old 11-06-2007, 05:34 AM

Must be learning how to ask the right questions, in the right way nowadays huh.

I say a step up over "base" V8 more based on handling, not for heritage reasons, but because it'll be needed sooner or later, so is that a Z51 Vette?
Old 11-06-2007, 08:23 AM

That isn't a completely valid question in my mind. It will cost a few dollars to give it carbon fiber panels, and a magnesium engine cradle that moves the motor further rearward and lower (if that is even possible in a Zeta), .
Why couldn't a Z/28 come with a magnesium engine cradle? In fact, I think that would be a neat feature.

It's unknown to me if you could actually reposition the engine for better handling with it though. Even if you could, I'd imagine that would all be negated by the mass of the blower and intercooler mounted on top of the engine.

Last edited by Z284ever; 11-06-2007 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:48 AM

That is because he's a wise man.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Anyways, the Z06 does carry abit of exotica, but it's price tag is determined more by marketing than it is by it's parts plus labor.

Not too sure about that......

In addition to the differences you had, the engine IS substantially more expensive, beefed up tranny & rear end, carbon fiber front fenders, wheel wells and used in floorboards, different brakes, exhaust and to top it off the HUD is standard.

I agree that marketing MAY have a role in the increased price, but I think that the cost of the "parts" is the real driving factor in the increased price.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Ron78Z&01SS
I agree that marketing MAY have a role in the increased price, but I think that the cost of the "parts" is the real driving factor in the increased price.

Certainly, pricier components add to the cost of the Z06.

But I promise you, those components don't add up to another $25,000 over the already very well marked up base Corvette.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Prominent Member

Old 11-06-2007, 03:36 PM

Why couldn't a Z/28 come with a magnesium engine cradle? In fact, I think that would be a neat feature.

It's unknown to me if you could actually reposition the engine for better handling with it though. Even if you could, I'd imagine that would all be negated by the mass of the blower and intercooler mounted on top of the engine.
You could give it a magnesium cradle, and that would add a few dollars cost. It might be cool too. But that doesn't mean the Z28 would be on the same plane focus wise as the Z06. What I was getting at is that the Z06 focus requires all of the things that separate a Z06 from a base car. Even if the Camaro gets a few of the features, some of the more important ones will still be left off. So in the end it is still more SVT than Z06.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:55 PM

Z28 = Z06 theme, focused performer.

Camaro = Mustang GT entry level V8.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:48 PM

You could give it a magnesium cradle, and that would add a few dollars cost. It might be cool too. But that doesn't mean the Z28 would be on the same plane focus wise as the Z06. What I was getting at is that the Z06 focus requires all of the things that separate a Z06 from a base car. Even if the Camaro gets a few of the features, some of the more important ones will still be left off. So in the end it is still more SVT than Z06.
It's all relative I guess. The base Camaro will never be as focused on performance as the base Corvette.

Base Corvette is a no excuses performance car as is. Z06 takes THAT to the next level.

If the base Camaro comes in as a 3,900 lbs pig, all the "focus" in the world for it's performance models, won't mean a tinker's damn. It'll still be a turd.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:21 PM

It's all relative I guess. The base Camaro will never be as focused on performance as the base Corvette.

Base Corvette is a no excuses performance car as is. Z06 takes THAT to the next level.

If the base Camaro comes in as a 3,900 lbs pig, all the "focus" in the world for it's performance models, won't mean a tinker's damn. It'll still be a turd.
I see what your saying. I agree that it would be difficult to turn a 3900 lb car into the prom queen by raiding the parts bin.

Quick Reply: Z/28. Which formula best applies?