2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Will the Camaro be E85 compatible?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 03:17 PM

Re: Will the Camaro be E85 compatible?

yea one guy was spearheading the idea said it could go to 70 cents a gallon for E85!
Old 06-06-2006, 06:53 PM

As long as the car is setup for E85, then the additional horsepower could with correct driving make you need less throttle to get/keep the same speed thus saving you fuel in the end.

Or you could just use the extra power to have a bit more fun .
Old 06-06-2006, 09:54 PM
West South Central Moderator

Originally Posted by jcamere94z28
I believe that it is a smart idea for GM to make the Camaro E85 compatible. It is only the right thing to do. Displacement on demant + E85 will be the best!
AFM/DoD + E85 + direct fuel injection + higher compression ratio (around 13:1)/or turbocharged + OE wideband O2 sensors + VVT + good aerodynamics + high flow heads and small cam + 6-speed auto and manual transmissions through the line. Could easily get 30+mpg highway. That's just what I want to see in the next impala

Last edited by AdioSS; 06-06-2006 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by merlinsteele
I'm sorry, I know this has been discussed before, but I was wondering if anyone has any new thoughts or insight into the subject. How about gas mileage, especially compared to the Mustang V6 and GT? I also hear that they're coming out with some sort of 'clean diesel' very soon.
It's called ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel). It contains a max of 15 PPM Sulfur. The Current #2 LS DSL has a Max of About 500 PPM (Parts Per Million) of Sulfur. The ULSD is already being refined and delivered around the country and will be mandatory August 1st if I remember correctly.

Gas currently contains about 40 PPM of Sulfur, you can bet that will be next.

Last edited by UHP-CAMARO; 06-07-2006 at 12:38 AM.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by DvBoard
As long as the car is setup for E85, then the additional horsepower could with correct driving make you need less throttle to get/keep the same speed thus saving you fuel in the end.

Or you could just use the extra power to have a bit more fun .
No it doesn't work that way. There is less energy density with alcohol. It takes more alcohol than gasoline to release the same amount of energy. If you built an E85 only engine you could increase the CR to increase the thermodynamic efficiency since ethanol has less tendancy to knock and a higher heat of vaporization. This would allow you to approach the fuel economy of gasoline but you couldn't run pure petro any longer either. Gasoline just has more potential fuel economy due to more energy contained within its bonds.

You can however make a lot of power with E85 because although its energy density is lower it burns at much richer mixtures. You're not making as much power per gram of ethanol but you're burner almost twice as much as you would with gasoline for max power.

If E85 becomes commonplace across the country I think it'd be great to build E85+ specific engines. Keep the compression ratio fairly high and pump some boost through it. You could make impressive power and still get decent fuel economy and driveability from "pump gas". Not to mention the cleaner emissions. Just don't shove any gasoline in it!

Not wanting the new Camaro to be E85 compatible makes about as much sense as wanting an "off" button for AFM. Only the types of people that believe ripping off EGR and AIR systems makes power would want such things.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:40 PM

we need more pumps to carry the e85
Old 06-07-2006, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Buttercup
No it doesn't work that way. There is less energy density with alcohol. It takes more alcohol than gasoline to release the same amount of energy. If you built an E85 only engine you could increase the CR to increase the thermodynamic efficiency since ethanol has less tendancy to knock and a higher heat of vaporization. This would allow you to approach the fuel economy of gasoline but you couldn't run pure petro any longer either. Gasoline just has more potential fuel economy due to more energy contained within its bonds.

You can however make a lot of power with E85 because although its energy density is lower it burns at much richer mixtures. You're not making as much power per gram of ethanol but you're burner almost twice as much as you would with gasoline for max power.

If E85 becomes commonplace across the country I think it'd be great to build E85+ specific engines. Keep the compression ratio fairly high and pump some boost through it. You could make impressive power and still get decent fuel economy and driveability from "pump gas". Not to mention the cleaner emissions. Just don't shove any gasoline in it!

Not wanting the new Camaro to be E85 compatible makes about as much sense as wanting an "off" button for AFM. Only the types of people that believe ripping off EGR and AIR systems makes power would want such things.
That's why i said "if it was set up properly"
Old 06-07-2006, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by DvBoard
That's why i said "if it was set up properly"
I'm sorry, it sounded like you were saying you could use the fact that E85 has the potential for more power to actually get better fuel economy.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:51 AM

I bet an E85 Cobalt would get better fuel economy than a gas Silverado
Old 06-08-2006, 01:07 PM

E85 is a bunch of B.S. GM is building them only to drive through a CAFE loophole for E85. Once any buyer of one of these E85-capable vehicles finds out he gets 30% less fuel economy, and hence, range, that'll be the end of his desire for E85. Check out the latest Car and Driver for a decent and mostly objective article on E85.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:09 PM

I would gladly give up 30% in fuel economy to no longer be a hostage to foreign oil. In addition, as production increases the price per gallon will go down. If it offers 30% less fuel economy but costs $2 a gallon to gas's $3, doesn't that break even? NO its a win. See reason #1.

I, for one would much rather be buying Crew Cabs and Caddys for U.S farmers than buying Rolls Royces, Ferraris and weapons for Saudi Sheiks. And I would be willing to sacrifice to do so.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Baldwin
E85 is a bunch of B.S. GM is building them only to drive through a CAFE loophole for E85. Once any buyer of one of these E85-capable vehicles finds out he gets 30% less fuel economy, and hence, range, that'll be the end of his desire for E85. Check out the latest Car and Driver for a decent and mostly objective article on E85.
GM isnt the only ones building them & they have been around since 94 as far as I can tell & it started out with Ford I do believe.

Gm is just making them more noticable & making more of them
Old 06-08-2006, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Hoodshaker
I would gladly give up 30% in fuel economy to no longer be a hostage to foreign oil. In addition, as production increases the price per gallon will go down. If it offers 30% less fuel economy but costs $2 a gallon to gas's $3, doesn't that break even? NO its a win. See reason #1.

I, for one would much rather be buying Crew Cabs and Caddys for U.S farmers than buying Rolls Royces, Ferraris and weapons for Saudi Sheiks. And I would be willing to sacrifice to do so.
Worth repeating.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Hoodshaker

I totally agree. It's odd how certain things in this country 'sort of' bothered me, but here lately has hit me pretty hard. Now I'm ready to sacrifice, as well. But I'm hoping we don't have to settle for hybrids.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Baldwin
I read anything from Car and Driver with a cure for the bull**** infestation near by. That magazine has had more miss information and lies in it then some tabloids. Car magazine information is weakly backed and poorly founded at best, if you are going to believe anyone find an engineer who knows some thermo and ask them to figure it out.

Quick Reply: Will the Camaro be E85 compatible?