2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When did the Camaro get the rear park assist?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 03:52 PM

Thank God I have an early vin.....These things look like ...poop....So glad not on MY 2SS.....missed the bullet there....#6046....YeeHaw...!!!
Old 05-26-2010, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by 426HPSS
Thank God I have an early vin.....These things look like ...poop....So glad not on MY 2SS.....missed the bullet there....#6046....YeeHaw...!!!
I too am glad mine doesn't have them! Hate the way those things look!
Old 05-26-2010, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I'm one of the people that has complained the loudest about rearward visibility.

I hope someone from GM reads this: rear park assist sensors don't change the visibility. As others have said, they're ugly. So, I now have the same visibility complaint, and the car's best feature (its looks) are slightly tarnished.

Parking is easy, even with crappy visibility, because you look at the space before you start backing into it. I don't need help with parking. People that do need help should get it via practice and training, not sensors and beepers.

I do 99.99% of my driving while moving forward at fairly high speeds. It is during that time that the rearward visibility bothers me. It makes it more difficult to keep track of the vehicles around me, and that takes all the fun out of driving!

Let me me perfectly clear: I'm not asking for some electronic device that displays the vehicles around me or indicates their position or anything like that (e.g. Infiniti's Around View Monitor). I want to see them with my own two eyes, thank you very much.

Unfortunately, I am pretty confident that the Camaro's styling has to change significantly in order to satisfy me. I love the way the 5th gen looks, but I simply won't buy a car that doesn't offer good visibility in all directions.

Between the weight and the visibility, I can't call the 5th gen Camaro a true driver's car (and IMO, attaining that status should be Camaro's #1 goal). It's a good car -- don't get me wrong -- but it's not for me. I have high hopes for the 6th gen.
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
people that dont own a 5th gen will think the car is hard to drive at first. people that do own one know that after getting used to it( just like any car) you become a better driver. and it sounds to me like the people that have a hard time driving this ,because they dont want to pay attention to the cars around them, are just lazy. because when traveling at high speeds, requires you to use your vision much more than you would when drving around town. you must always know where people are no matter how fast your driving. i drive quicly. and every time i pass a car, i look in my morrors to see where it is. no matter what.
I concur with your sentiments. I used to drive lumber trucks as a youngster. You can't get any more limited rearward visibility than that.

Therefore if I can back up a 9-ft wide, 5-ton dually flatbed into a 10-ft wide space with just using my mirrors, I sure as heck should be able to same with a 2010 sports coupe.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:13 PM

the visibility weeenies crack me up....drive the car....you will get used to it FAST.
set the mirrors right and enjoy the ride....PLEASE GM dont change the chop window style cause the weeenies are weeeniing>>>>
the car's coolest cool factor is the style and look.... Yeah>>> I want an Impala with great visibility....lol...I drove 200 miles today...no issues...drive a "bit' quicker than traffic...check carefully and change lanes....
it only happens to showrrom sitters...not owners.....
Old 05-26-2010, 09:02 PM

If the car had an LCD, like for I dunno NAV, they could have put a nice back up camera in it.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
If the car had an LCD, like for I dunno NAV, they could have put a nice back up camera in it.
that would have been the way to do it. like the caddillacs do. or even in the mirror. i wish they had put a pop up nav like the cts has. guess ill just have to do my own navigation system.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
I concur with your sentiments. I used to drive lumber trucks as a youngster. You can't get any more limited rearward visibility than that.

Therefore if I can back up a 9-ft wide, 5-ton dually flatbed into a 10-ft wide space with just using my mirrors, I sure as heck should be able to same with a 2010 sports coupe.
i drive big trucks occasionally ,where i work, and i have no issue in heavy taffic or backing up. i even have a motor home and had my old trans am on a trailer going to ATL and had no issues with it. maybe thats why i think it is so easy driving this car, im used to driving big trucks. kinda makes this car seem ALOT more nimble.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 426HPSS
the visibility weeenies crack me up....drive the car....you will get used to it FAST.
I have enough seat time in the new Camaro that I am used to it. I can see the cars around me, and I know where they are.

I still don't like it. I have to expend more effort to track the cars around me than I do in my 4th gen (and pretty much any other car I've ever driven). A driver's car should make every aspect of driving an absolute joy, and the 5th gen fails on that count because keeping track of the cars around me feels like work.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:24 AM

I have enough seat time in the new Camaro that I am used to it. I can see the cars around me, and I know where they are.

I still don't like it. I have to expend more effort to track the cars around me than I do in my 4th gen (and pretty much any other car I've ever driven). A driver's car should make every aspect of driving an absolute joy, and the 5th gen fails on that count because keeping track of the cars around me feels like work.
I have positition the mirrors in such a way that i can see all the cars around me at all times.... so really... it doesn't bother me one bit...
Old 05-27-2010, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jcamere94z28
I have positition the mirrors in such a way that i can see all the cars around me at all times.... so really... it doesn't bother me one bit...
The only possible explanation for this is that your standards for visibility around the car are lower than mine. In all four of my cars, I can see more of my surroundings more easily than I can in a 5th gen. The car that offers the least visibility is, surprisingly (to me), my wife's 2009 Aura. That car's visibility is at the limit of what I'll tolerate. The 5th gen's visibility is even lower, and I won't tolerate it. My 4th gen, our 2000 Bonneville, and the Grand National all offer more visibility and are nicer in that regard to drive.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:05 PM

maybe thats why i think it is so easy driving this car, im used to driving big trucks. kinda makes this car seem ALOT more nimble.
My wife is constantly reminding me that the Tahoe is not a Camaro. If I can toss the Tahoe into the twisties, driving the 2010 Camaro should be a piece of cake.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:50 AM

the new camaro is obviously not for you then.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
My wife is constantly reminding me that the Tahoe is not a Camaro. If I can toss the Tahoe into the twisties, driving the 2010 Camaro should be a piece of cake.
if i drive the hummer like the camaro, i normally need to fill up at the next light.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:56 AM

I found the perfect solution....my legs...I get out when I back up and I am a little close and LOOK...huh...what a concept ...No nannies for moi.
just ruins the bumper cover appearance. All the High end cars have these now(back up nannies) and the bumpers look like dogpoopies....

Old 05-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

the new camaro is obviously not for you then.
That's what I'm saying, and I'm saying this publicly so that GM has a chance to hear about it, because I love Camaros and I want the next one to be "for me" so that I can buy one and enjoy it.

Quick Reply: When did the Camaro get the rear park assist?