2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What "Special Edition" Camaro would you like GM to build?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 01:10 PM

I vote no as well to the "Intimidator" or any other NASCAR tie-ins. This car needs to stay far away from anything with a 'red-neck' connotation to it. Like it or not the Camaro still has this bad reputation. We need to move people away from the thought that a mullet is a pre-requisite for buying a Camaro. The 5th gen needs to be perceived as the cutting edge of style and technology.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:27 PM

Its all about sales people. Thats why we dont have one today.

Get off your thick headed high horses.

Anything NASCAR related would be a great idea.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:52 PM

What about a special edition Penske-Sunoco Z/28 to commemorate Mark Donohue's historic 1968 Trans Am season when he won 10 of 13 races?
Old 12-14-2006, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
What about a special edition Penske-Sunoco Z/28 to commemorate Mark Donohue's historic 1968 Trans Am season when he won 10 of 13 races?
That'd be cool if it was maybe a color scheme package.... I dunno how theyd pull it off without looking tacky though. I know I wouldnt want to ride around in a 5th gen with SUNOCO pasted on the side...
Old 12-14-2006, 09:17 PM

i would like a low option car to save weight with the best performance engine they have, and what about the crate motor carbed intake in the trunk?he he he.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:36 PM

You can do NASCAR, but just lay off the cheesy stickers. Badges and striping is fine, but you do not need a big "Intimidator" decal anywhere near it.

If they listened to me, there would only by a plain jane, RS, SS, Z/28 and ZL1 from the factory. You could also add any option to any trim level and of course combine trims.

Leave it to dealers for special editions.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeepnreb
You can do NASCAR, but just lay off the cheesy stickers. Badges and striping is fine, but you do not need a big "Intimidator" decal anywhere near it.

If they listened to me, there would only by a plain jane, RS, SS, Z/28 and ZL1 from the factory. You could also add any option to any trim level and of course combine trims.

Leave it to dealers for special editions.
I don't see any big intimidator stickers anywhere on this car, do you? Just some small badges, and of course some larger *****.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:35 AM

Not a doubt in my mind I'm going to pi$$ people off with this one.....but here goes anyway ..................

HELL NO to an Intimidator package.

The guy was a good driver (at least that's what people tell me, I could care less about NASCAR), but you know what? Racing is a DANGEROUS sport and people die......not nearly as many now as in the past, but unfortunately, it happens. I can remember watching the INDY 500 in the 70's, and if you went a year without AT LEAST 1 fatality in the race or time trials, it was unusual.

It sucks for them, their family and friends (and even their fans), but the risk is part of the job. If they weren't willing to accept that risk, they wouldn't be racing.

Believe it or not, I can sympathize with his family, but how long has it been now? Four or five years?? Let the guy rest in peace.

You'd think he was the Second Coming of Christ the way some people carry on.

Last edited by Ron78Z&01SS; 12-15-2006 at 01:46 AM.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:18 AM

While the Intiminator package may sound good for boosting sales, as mentioned above, in the broader scope of things it might not be too helpful. I agree with a lot of people on here who are saying that the Camaro has grown a sort of bad reputation for only appealing to hill-billys wearing mullets(and by the way, I have no problems with hill-billys wanting a Camaro), and in order to get some fresh blood in to the game, GM needs to rid the idea that this car was made for a select sort of people. I think that some of the interpretation out there, at least from the younger crowd, is that the Camaro is for yokels, and with that said the younger generation tends to not want to be associated with that label or with any car that would generate that label. So, in the long run, we kind of want to get with the times, even though we are dealing with a heritage-oriented car. And I think that the 09 Camaro perfectly embodies the idea of taking elements from the roots of the car and splashing it with a certain aura that would appeal to what is considered "cool" these days. Dammit, Im starting to write too much again...and Ive still got another point to make.

To tell you the truth, even with a bad reputation, the Camaro had a nice run. If you think about it, the Camaro didnt lose its cool after the sixties. A lot of people loved it all the way through the 80s. The problem though, is that the 1980s was the golden age of the mullet, and not to mention cheesy EVERTHING. Given, I was too young to remember the 80s because I was born smack dab in the middle of the decade, but listen too me being the target age range of the kind of buyers that GM seeks that the majority of my generation looks at the 80s as something we kind of want to cringe and look away from. Its sad that it was that decade that everyone looks at to associate the Camaro with and that is the cue for mullet jokes. So yeah, we need to put NASCAR (even though it is not "totally" an 80s thing) and those kind of associations behind us and just thrive off of the things that made the Camaro really great. The 09 Camaro has already generated positive reviews as being something "fresh", rather than "washed up". Keep the roots, leave everything else behind as something that that particular iteration or generation of the Camaro did for the history books. Lets start making our own history now.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:49 AM

Couldn't agree with you more.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by shock6906
I don't see any big intimidator stickers anywhere on this car, do you? Just some small badges, and of course some larger *****.
Nope that one does not, which is fine. I have seen cars come NASCAR themed with stickers and badges and whether they are factory, dealer installed or consumer placed, it is not a pretty picture and I am a NASCAR fan.

I go back to my original thought, it should only be plain, RS, SS, Z/28 or ZL1from the factory. The edition and trim should transcend time and these will. 10-20 years from now, people will barely remember these NASCAR greats. You will never forget what a Z/28 or ZL1 is.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:24 AM

I wouldnt think a special edition NASCAR package would surround Earnhardt Sr, btw.. It would be almost 2010 before one would roll out. Gordon? Stweart? Maybe even Junior since he is the most popular driver...?

What about an Andretti edition? Didnt he win a lot of IROC races in a 3rd gen?
Old 12-15-2006, 11:29 AM

Intiminator package , Berger and other like that are tuners and dealers packages. What we are talking about here is Chevy packages.

Other than the v6, Z28 and SS models it would be nice if there was:
  • RS if it was like the 1st gen. That you could get RS on any Camaro. As a cosmetic package (bigger wheels, ground effects, spoiler, hood)
  • ZL1 as the top of the line, baddest of the bad Camaro. That would be like the Z06 to the corvette. And competitor to the GT500
  • 40th anniv just do a few before the end of 07 to make sure they can be called 40th anniv. (these would be collector edition camaro's the moment they leave the factory)
  • 1LE bare bones V8 as race ready as it can get withouth costing GM an arm and a leg.
  • B4C cop camaro. Do I even have to explain it?
Old 12-15-2006, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by jcamere94z28
ZL1 as the top of the line, baddest of the bad Camaro. That would be like the Z06 to the corvette. And competitor to the GT500
That package will be called Z28.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:32 PM

Hey, this mullet wearing redneck is going to want a Camaro, too, if I still have my job and I'm not shoveling cow manure into the back of large trucks later on! LOL Just kidding, well partly.

But I do understand people saying that hopefully the idea of the Camaro in some people's minds can move away from the way it used to be. Not that there's anything wrong with the people or hairstyles themselves, but hopefully the new Camaro can 'spell' some class, even more than it used to!

Hell, even as old as I am, I don't remember anything about the Intimidator or whatever you call it, and if a special edition came out like that that looked and ran good, I might buy it out of pure ignorance, I guess! LOL

Quick Reply: What "Special Edition" Camaro would you like GM to build?