2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

What do we know about Zeta?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 01:26 PM

Re: What do we know about Zeta?

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I missed that thread. Thanks for the info.

Any idea where the "VE is Zeta" thing started?
Before the "Zeta is on Hold" period last year VE was going to be made in the US and it was dubbed Zeta, when GM was doing its Greek alphabet soup chassis names. When the Zeta program was scaled back and re-examined company execs thought it would be better to put the VE suspension on a Sigma based or Sigma-like unibody, which was designed for production according to GM US manufacturing techniques, than to convert a US factory to build according to Holden's manufacturing methods.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Gotcha. So, with the caveat that nothing has been "officially" announced WRT Camaro platform, what do we "know" about the platform? Is it Sigma?
Old 08-15-2006, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
Well then Charlie, why don't you clear up what of mine is speculation and what is proven fact?
Well, I'm just going on what we know as fact regarding this thread. Right now, the only facts we have are that the VE Commodore is our first look at Zeta and the 2009 Camaro will be Zeta based. The rest is just speculative scullduggery.

But here goes, I'll do my best on your list (with some speculation on my part ):

1. Yes.
2. Probably.
3. Probably not.
4. Yes.
5. Yes.
6. Pure speculation.
7. Yes. But these won't be plug and play.
8. Yes.
9. Sure, but we don't know that for a fact.
10. Lots of speculation here. Alot can change. The DTS was dropped from Zeta recently. Two years ago they were working on a GTO, a sister "Chevy Coupe" and Pontiac G8. What will happen two years from today is anyone's guess. But what's in the plan now for Zeta 2 is Camaro, Impala and Lucerne replacement. Only the Camaro has been officially announced.
11. Maybe. Maybe not.

Last edited by Z284ever; 08-15-2006 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Well, I'm just going on what we know as fact regarding this thread. Right now, the only facts we have are that the VE Commodore is our first look at Zeta and the 2009 Camaro will be Zeta based. The rest is just speculative scullduggery.

But here goes:

1. Yes.
2. Probably.
3. Probably not.
4. Yes.
5. Yes.
6. Pure speculation.
8. Yes.
10. Lots of speculation here. Alot can change. The DTS was dropped from Zeta recently. Two years ago they were working on a GTO, a sister "Chevy Coupe" and Pontiac G8. What will happen two years from today is anyone's guess. But what's in the plan now for Zeta 2 is Camaro, Impala and Lucerne replacement. Only the Camaro has been officially announced.
11. Maybe. Maybe not.
Fair enough. Let me just say I found it hard to go back and forth with your reply so I opened this thread up in another window and read them side by side. Much easier for those who may be having difficulty.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:36 AM

It will be based on the same platform as the VE Commodore, and should look similar to the Camaro concept car unveiled at the Detroit auto show in January.
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2571CC00202604

So, does based mean the same, just shorter?
Old 08-17-2006, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Decromin
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2571CC00202604

So, does based mean the same, just shorter?
It will have a shorter wheelbase, longer dash to front axle length, all-new upper structure and use the improved Zeta 2 platform.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
A platform or architecture is a set of building components that can be put together in a number of ways to produce different size, performance, and utility vehicles.

What do we know about Zeta?

1. Holden is engineering it now.
2. It will utilize GMNA build methods not Holden developed ones.
3. It will have a body structure closer to Sigma than any other unibody.
4. Its suspension will be closely related to Holden's VE.
5. It will have different wheel bases offered, LWB, SWB, and maybe a super SWB for Camaro.
6. It will have different modules that can be 'plugged' into it: SLA suspension for Caddy DTS replacement and double pivot strut front suspension for volume models.
7. It will have different dash to front axle ratios engineered into it. So Impala may not have the same proportions as Camaro or another model.
8. It will be built on a flexible production line that all models can be assembled together even though they look and feel different.
9. Oshawa seems like the most likely place for production at the current moment.
10. It will be sold as at least the following: 08-09 Chevy Camaro, 08-09 Chevy Impala. There may be others to follow like: 10-12 Buick sedan, 10-12 Pontiac sedan, 10-12 Holden V-car, ?? Opel large luxury car.
11. It will replace the VE chassis cars within 5-6 years.

Edit: The VE cars are not the same chassis as the US Zeta. The US Zeta will replace the VE cars, see point #11.
Originally Posted by Z284ever

But here goes, I'll do my best on your list (with some speculation on my part ):

1. Yes.
2. Probably.
3. Probably not.
4. Yes.
5. Yes.
6. Pure speculation.
8. Yes.
11. Maybe. Maybe not.
Sorry, i just wanted to see them side by side.