2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What concerns do you have about the next Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 09:52 AM

I am currently driving an '04 Mustang GT and one of the things I miss the most about my '99 Firehawk T/A is the "driver-centric" interior. I really loved the cockpit feel that it had and the way that the radio and a/c controls were angled slightly toward the driver.

I also really miss the way that the shifter in my '99 Firehawk was placed where my hand naturally rested when in neutral. The '04 GT shifter has to be one of the most awkward things I have experienced in driving a car.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
More attractive? Are you serious? Better interior?
Yeah, I see your point comparing those years. I guess it depends on the generation in question (I was thinking more SN95+). But, that is all subjective. In either case, if the Camaro looks like the concept, it will blow away the Mustang (aesthetically).

Mustang sold 114,228 copies in 1993 with a base price of $10,860. At $16,779, Camaro sold 53,215 the same year, including Firebird.
Which is exactly why I said "not $5k more". I agree it has to be close, but not within a few hundred. I would gladly pay $1-2k for a better built car and think most others would as well (though I could be wrong).

Please elaborate on how Mustangs are more practical than Camaros.
I was referring to ingress/egress, access to the back seat, and perception of reliability.

I'm saying people in general won't.
My only thought was the people in general would be willing to shell out a little more money for a better built (especially the interior) car. Of course, we are enthusiasts and have a different mindset than most buyers, so that is almost impossible to tell without the focus groups, etc., but it is interesting the speculate (which is all we can do now).
Old 09-28-2007, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Any other concerns out there?
Sales.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by CamaroZ282008
Yep 3300-3400 and no more. 3650-3700 man thats gonna be one he&* of a porker car. How much does the new GTO weigh? The current stang is roughly 3450-3500 give or take and the 2010 Mustang is going on a diet, so once again the Camaro will come to the party heavier than the stang with more power though im assuming, thats if the BOSS 6.2 get's delayed.

Another thing is the new Camaro cabin gonna be heavier and bigger physically because of the need to accomodate not to be blunt but FAT people? No joke my teacher who worked for Ford said a big emphasis on interior dimensions in the Mustang right now ,was due to America's growing people. Sorry and no offense, but if you're over 300 lbs and not in the NFL hit the GYM. Cars cabins shoulden't grow or get taller to accomodate Huge people.
Time to look at a new car then dude, because 3300-3400 is a pipe dream for a zeta car.

And...the new mustang weighs about 3550 in base GT trim, and the GTO is something like 3700.

To keep the price of the new Camaro down, they had to platform share, and the only available and developed rear-wheel drive platform they have is zeta...which was designed for full size family sedans like the G8, monte carlo, etc. That's why it weighs too much, but there's nothing anyone can do about it. I'll be happily surprized if it comes in less than 3700, but I'd rather it be more like 3300 to 3400, just like you. That's just not going to happen, period.

Hopefully in the future sales will force automakers to offer smaller performance vehicles. A return to fox-body sized muscle cars with 3000 pound curb weights would be awesome, I don't care if they reduce horsepower to 300 instead of 400. Better handling, better fuel economy. Power is easy to increase, weight is hard to lose.

And the main reason for the bloating weight of new cars is all the safety equipment that is federally mandated....crumple zones, frame reinforcement, several air bags, and so on. That stuff, especially the crumple zones and stronger frame, kill weight.

Last edited by boxerperson; 09-28-2007 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by boxerperson
Time to look at a new car then dude, because 3300-3400 is a pipe dream for a zeta car.

And...the new mustang weighs about 3550 in base GT trim, and the GTO is something like 3700.

To keep the price of the new Camaro down, they had to platform share, and the only available and developed rear-wheel drive platform they have is zeta...which was designed for full size family sedans like the G8, monte carlo, etc. That's why it weighs too much, but there's nothing anyone can do about it. I'll be happily surprized if it comes in less than 3700, but I'd rather it be more like 3300 to 3400, just like you. That's just not going to happen, period.

Hopefully in the future sales will force automakers to offer smaller performance vehicles. A return to fox-body sized muscle cars with 3000 pound curb weights would be awesome, I don't care if they reduce horsepower to 300 instead of 400. Better handling, better fuel economy. Power is easy to increase, weight is hard to lose.

And the main reason for the bloating weight of new cars is all the safety equipment that is federally mandated....crumple zones, frame reinforcement, several air bags, and so on. That stuff, especially the crumple zones and stronger frame, kill weight.

I agree with this. I think we'll be looking at a 3500-3600lb car realistically because the Impala platform, which is essentially what Zeta is, has too much size to deliver the 3400Lb or less car people want. Most annoying is that there is absolutely no indication the market for large cars will be big enough to support even the Impala and the other large RWD Zeta cars. Camaro is a fantastically styled car. The lines are all very appealing. But I find it very hard to believe sales won't suffer because of size and weight.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:15 PM

the mustang was always a more practical car.

its smaller, less blind spots, more normal seating position, its not on the ground, much shorter doors, etc.

but thats my big concern about the 5th gen. i LOVE the low seating position, its the reason i own my 95. if the 5th gen seats like a sedan ill be more interested in an 02 ss when 09 comes around.

though i can live without the blind spots, huge doors, and scraping everything on the ground.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:58 AM

Over the past couple of months I realize my big concern with the Camaro is that it won't do enough to make me want to get rid of the GTO.

450+ hp and great handling would win me over quite quickly though
Old 10-08-2007, 02:54 PM

I just hope the production car keeps the halo headlight arrangement. It would be a nice touch even if the actual headlights are not LED. Would also be a cool touch as the daytime running light instead of the amber turn lights. I don't care if BMW has done this already it's a nice touch and fits the car well.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:39 AM
b4z

I am hoping for good head and legroom(better than the prototype).
That the windshield header is not in my forehead(like the 4thgens).
And that the weight is below 3800lbs for a V8.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS
Wheel well opening size - I hope to god I can downsize to 18" wheel on a lowered car without it looking like it has 15's . Alot of new cars , the wheel wells are designed to make the 19"+ wheel sizes look normal . Wheels that big are not for me . ......[i]though it may make it real easy to fit a 30" slick [/b]
Very true and overlooked. Who wants to buy tires for 20 inch wheels?! I hate this trend 17 inch wheels look great to me on almost all cars.

Originally Posted by Gripenfelter
Similar thing happened in 1993. There weren't enough T56s to go around so a 6 speed 93 is rare.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:31 PM

18's should be the factory limit. They're getting ridiculous with these insane sized rims.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
I just hope the production car keeps the halo headlight arrangement. It would be a nice touch even if the actual headlights are not LED. Would also be a cool touch as the daytime running light instead of the amber turn lights. I don't care if BMW has done this already it's a nice touch and fits the car well.
That should be in the bag . In all the features listed with the silver , red and orange vert showcars , the halo headlights are always listed . It definately wont have LED's , but a bi-xenon projector would duplicate the look perfectly . Its a little gimmicky , but man ....a Black maro coming up the road with just the evil slant eye halo's lit would be insanely cool