2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Vinyl stripes do NOT fit the car correctly

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 04:00 AM

Vinyl stripes do NOT fit the car correctly

Take a look at the stipes on the hood. They do not seem to reach all the way to the back near the windshield.

You can notice this very clearly on both the silver AND red camaros.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11866
Old 01-17-2009, 04:47 AM
Admin Emeritus

I wouldn't worry, these are still preproduction cars and many times, display cars are rolled into the display when the paint is still wet, so to speak. I am thinking that the stripes were cut too short and there was no time to fix it. Regardless, In about two hours, I will make sure I mention it to the Camaro Product Manager but I am sure she is already well aware of it.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:55 AM

Also tell her they need to extend beyond the hood and onto the spoiler like the Barrett car. (which also don't fit on front and back, like a 1/4" gap) Maybe try stopping them just before the mailslot. Or just do them like on the Convertable Concept. Every "Z28" stripe option ever has been over the spoiler on Camaros.

That's all we need now is the car called cheap because they can't make the stripes fit right.

Last edited by IZ28; 01-17-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by IZ28
Also tell her they need to extend beyond the hood and onto the spoiler like the Barrett car. (which they don't fit on front and back, like a 1/4" gap) Maybe try stopping them just before the mailslot.
Agreed... just before the mail slot will make all the difference !!!
Old 01-17-2009, 10:39 AM

Good friggin' grief. People are going to ridiculous extremes trying to nitpick this wonderful car to death. Really, if you don't like how the stripes terminate or whether they wrap around the edge... if you don't like the notion of stopping short of the hood's mail slot... don't get the doggone stripes. They look perfectly fine to me and frankly I think it would look weird if they DID go all the way past the mail slot. As for the rear edge on the hood... sure looks like a reflection to me... but even if not, I would be a little nervous if they did wrap around the edge of the hood due to the risks of peeling, as noted by another poster in the thread over at Camaro5. Get over it already peeps... and enjoy the new Camaro
Old 01-17-2009, 02:48 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by IZ28
Also tell her they need to extend beyond the hood and onto the spoiler like the Barrett car. (which they don't fit on front and back, like a 1/4" gap) Maybe try stopping them just before the mailslot. Or just do them like on their Concepts. Every "Z28" stripe option ever has been over the spoiler on Camaros.

That's all we need now is the car called cheap because they can't make the stripes fit right.
Agreed... just before the mail slot will make all the difference !!!
Old 01-17-2009, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by BigDarknFast
Good friggin' grief. People are going to ridiculous extremes trying to nitpick this wonderful car to death. Really, if you don't like how the stripes terminate or whether they wrap around the edge... if you don't like the notion of stopping short of the hood's mail slot... don't get the doggone stripes. They look perfectly fine to me and frankly I think it would look weird if they DID go all the way past the mail slot. As for the rear edge on the hood... sure looks like a reflection to me... but even if not, I would be a little nervous if they did wrap around the edge of the hood due to the risks of peeling, as noted by another poster in the thread over at Camaro5. Get over it already peeps... and enjoy the new Camaro
At the rear of the hood is not a reflection, the stripes simply don't fit correctly. If they can't get a better fit than that on a hand prepared show car, what do you think the production versions may look like? I've been happy with most everything they have done with the new Camaro, but ill fitting stripes is not a good thing. And the rear stripes not coming over the spoiler simply looks awful to me, I can live with where the hood stripes stop at the front . I'd be inclined to not order factory or dealer installed stripes and simply have them painted on after delivery.
Clyde
Old 01-17-2009, 06:57 PM

Well, it seems they are done that way on purpose to prevent peeling.

Maybe I'll get mine painted on just the way I like.

When I put down a lot of money for a Camaro... I WILL be nit picky, It means a lot to me.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by highflyinbean
Well, it seems they are done that way on purpose to prevent peeling.

Maybe I'll get mine painted on just the way I like.

When I put down a lot of money for a Camaro... I WILL be nit picky, It means a lot to me.
Same here. I don't mind the execution of the stripes thaaaat much, but I think it would bug me EVERY time I looked at it. I'll be getting mine painted and cleared.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:49 PM

They fit the way they are supposed to. The fact that some people are unhappy with the way they decided to make them doesn't mean they fit incorrectly.

As far as extending to the front and over the spoiler, the mail slot would mean a lot of wasted stripe material, and the spoiler is so curved it would be really tough to wrap a stripe over it, and get them straight.

I was told there was a big debate on whether they should even put the stripes on the spoiler at all.

EDIT: After looking at through my NAIAS pics, all 3 2010 GT500's have stripes that do the same thing. Though I don't have any of the back of the hood, the trunk, spoiler and side stripes all end before the edges

Last edited by Freak; 01-17-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:09 PM

The orange car in Montreal has the same stripes that were put on right.

They fit, they were just put on a lil hasty.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1232242500
Old 01-18-2009, 08:31 PM
Admin Emeritus

I was correct, those stripes were put on by a technician in Milford and were not put on in the factory. However, I do think that if they do have similar fitment as the show cars do, it is for a reason and IMO, it didn't look very noticeable in person.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:05 PM

I just saw the cars and Barrett Jackson and the gap was noticiable not a 1/4" as stated earlier but I would say about an 1/8". I hope they make an adjustment otherwise I will have my stripes painted on. I was however happy to finally see an SS in person. I also saw the LS7 Camaro which was very cool.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:43 PM

From Fbodfather...

Apparently a "little" short vs coming right up to the edge will help prevent peeling...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=23
Old 01-19-2009, 12:05 AM

I think it will be worth painting on your own. I don't understand why they just can't paint them on Convertible Concept style, seemed to work on 1st Gen Z28's. Then you don't have to care about the fit and where you run them. I hope they do that for the Z28 if it ever comes out.

Quick Reply: Vinyl stripes do NOT fit the car correctly