2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Time travel, back to/in June 30, 2002

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 09:14 AM

Arrow Time travel, back to/in June 30, 2002

Well, in June 30, 2002, I made a trip through time to find out what the deal on the 5th gen is. I went forward to February 2006. It seems that the timeline has been slightly altered (perhaps by my trip ).

Here is what I wrote then:
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...3286#post43286
I just got back from the future. After parking my DMC Delorean in the drive, I flipped through the stash of e-magazines I brought back with me. Heres something that will cheer you guys up:

Motor Trend, March 2006:

CAMARO IS BACK!
by Kevin Smith

Detroit---After the last Camaro was sold in 2002, many enthusiasts swore they would abandon General Motors, and go to the competitors. After 35 years of performance and style, production ended with no replacement in sight. Back then, The Company was just comming out of the "dark days" of Zarella-ism and brand management. But with the hiring of Robert Lutz, former Chrysler pace setter, and the man key to the Dodge Viper's success, plus many fresh faces, things were changing for the better. There were many who believed that one day the Camaro would return, better than ever.

That day has come, although it took some time. For those who have waited patiantely, you will not be dissapointed. For those who jumped ship, you should fasten your life preservers!

The 2007 Chevrolet Camaro was a long time coming, with millions of dollars invested, and more than a couple of years spent debating and perfecting the winning formula.
The project was originally an underground movement by the Corvette-Camaro team. While work was being done on the C6 (which made its debue two years ago to great acclaim), a small group of designers and engineers focused their efforts on designing proposals for a new Camaro.
It was a tough sell. They had to struggle with management that prefered to lavish big brother Cadillac and sister Pontiac with inovative products.
The case was made that Chevrolet needed a true ponycar. After the Ford Mustang (new for 2005) and Dodge Charger with the newfangled HEMI appeared, there was nothing else to do but greenlight the project.
Since most of the work was already in the early concieving stages, the program was already an easy choice for approval.

"THIS THING IS A WORK OF ART"
Many of the early ideas were for a retro (or as designers prefer to say, heritage) design. The look would borrow from the 1st generation Camaro (1967-69). After the Ford Thunderbird flopped in its second year, and sales of the old-flavour PT Cruiser sank to new lows, emphasis was put on a fresh look.
Borrowing elements from previous 'maros, the stylists made a handsome and down right mean looking car. This thing is a work of art.
The front end is very reminicent of early Z/28's, with big foglights and semi-concealed headlights. There is a seamlessly intergrated hood scoop, and cowl induction makes a return. The new Camaro is a true coupe, banishing the hatch design that was a staple for 3 generations. It has a quarter window, and perfectly proportioned spoiler simular to the 1970-73 cars. The wheel arches (front and back) are accented by very sleek cutlines that extend to the rear of the car. Speaking of the rear, its all buisiness back there. True dual-dual exhuast ports, the afformentioned spoiler and a futuristic interpretation of the 1982-92 tailights will be seen by many a Mustang driver..often!

"A TRUE DRIVERS CAR"
Inside the 5th generation Camaro, is more ussable room than ever. In fact, more than anything the competition offers. The seats are as comfortable as a catchers mit. Leather seating is an option on the SS. Multi-stage airbags (dual front, side, and new lower-level) will help keep things safe in case of emergency. The dash layout is user friendly, with information legibly displayed on white faced guages. This plus HVAC controls within easy reach make this a true drivers car. T-top fans rejoice, as they are offered across the board on all trim levels. Want to know the best part? The rear seats are ussable by adults. Im 6'2, and found the rear very accomadating to my frame.

"THIS THING IS HELLA FAST!"
Ok, so the new Camaro looks good and has a nice interior. What about performance?
There are three trim levels offered. Camaro RS, Z/28, and SS. The RS is the new base model, featuring the high-tech Vortec 4200 I6 engine. The same engine that powers the GMC Envoy and Chevy Trailblazer (also available on Buick Rainier). In the RS, this engine is tuned to produce a stout 285 horsepower and 280 foot-pounds of torque.
Need more power? Then move on up to the SS. Unlike the previouse camaro, the new SS is the middle model, offering luxury and style.
The engine offered is the trusty LS1 V8 producing 335 horsepower. This thing is hella fast, but...still need more "go"??? Move up to the Z/28, the ultimate Camaro. Special equiped with beefier suspension and highly modified racing bits (based on the C6R). It gives you a full blown LS6 V8, bursting out 400 horses at 5800 rpm and delivering 390 lb-ft of torque at 4700 rpm.

Preliminary Test Data (for Z/28 model):
Acceleration, sec, 0-30 mph 1.88
0-40 mph 2.71
0-50 mph 3.34
0-60 mph 4.46
0-70 mph 5.23
0-90 mph 7.15
0-100 mph 8.91
1/4 mile, sec/mph 12.42/123.4
0-100-0 mph, sec 14.81
Braking, 60-0 mph, ft 127
600-ft slalom, mph 67.5
Turning circle, ft 36.9
Top gear rpm @ 60 mph 2000

Kevin Smith is no longer at MT. He is now at edmunds.com. Here is what he actually wrote:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=108944
I didn't expect to ever again type the phrase, "new Chevrolet Camaro."...The Chevrolet Camaro Concept is a busier, more extreme, more exaggerated show car, which looks much less realistic and ready for production than the Challenger. But it's impressive in its own right. There are distant hints of the classic '69 Camaro shape in the concept's rear fenders, side glass profile and pointy grille, but you have to squint a lot harder to see the history than you do with the Challenger...the Chevy looks overwrought. The production version will surely be toned down significantly (unless predictions like that steel them to the task of building the Camaro this way), and that cooled my enthusiasm slightly....
Old 08-10-2006, 09:27 AM

Re: Time travel, back to/in June 30, 2002

Once a Motor Trend Idiot...always a Motor Trend Idiot
Old 08-10-2006, 10:10 AM

Motortrend is one of my favorite magazines!
Old 08-10-2006, 10:28 AM
Banned

A full blown LS6 making 400 horsepower? I think I'll stick with something else...(of course I know this was all make-believe)
Old 08-10-2006, 11:08 AM

I subscribed to MT for 8 years, but after C. Van Tune left they took on an uppity attitued and revamped it. On one Camaro article earlier this year they even referred to Camaro owners as having Mullet's. I wrote them an email, and they actually published it.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by azfan
I subscribed to MT for 8 years, but after C. Van Tune left they took on an uppity attitued and revamped it. On one Camaro article earlier this year they even referred to Camaro owners as having Mullet's. I wrote them an email, and they actually published it.
My thoughts exactly, it's been crap since Van Tune left, I've been a subscriber since 1990 and i'm not renewing