2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Spinoff: what should a Camaro Track Pack include?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by holeshot
Apparently, GM has already done some work on a better performing version of this car. How about pulling ahead the Chassis portion of the Z28 vehicle and calling it the “Z51” package (or something similar). I would have expected the Z28 to stop, handle and turn better than the SS? Those items can be kickoff without all of the expensive powertrain and body panel changes.

In General, the Camaro Z51 package should include the following:

Re-calibrate the steering that most reviews have mentioned (actually this needs to happen before next model year regardless)

Shock / struts, Bars, Springs: Push the tuning compromise more to the side of handling and performance. (I would also like to see mono-tube shocks instead of the twin tubes)

Gear Ratio

Wheels wider with more aggressive stance

Brakes

Do something about the peddles so you can actually “heal-toe” downshift this “performance” car.
this is the best plan so far.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:57 AM

I think that the recal of the steering needs to happen reguardless. 2011 should get revised steering.

CTS-V track package uses a 2 pc rotor design, and has a 5x120mm bolt pattern like the Camaro. Would reduce rotational weight, and paint calipers red like ont he CTS-V
I would go with a higher numerical ratio gear, maybe 3.73 for both cars.
GMPD Cold Air standard, with retuned engine programing to develop 430-440hp.
Lower ride hight, stiffer springs and shocks/struts all the way around. Bilstien perhaps?
Magnaride or mechanical adjustable suspension would drive up the cost of the package way to high.
Think of what you would get for 1500-2k.
I would also like to see a set of PS2's with comp gray wheels, perhaps something similar to the ZR1's BBS style wheel, forged or not. Tire size maybe stepped up front for better steering feel, but rears should be ok.

But id like all this to be strapped with the Z28 badge, not just a SS with track package...
Old 05-28-2009, 04:15 PM

Just do what the mustang did since it's both cost-effective and delivers a nice improvement: Recalibrated steering and stability/traction control system, upgraded springs/shocks/anti-roll bars/strut-tower brace, 3.73 gears, and upgraded pads. Tires could either stay the same or changed to the ps2's mentioned earlier since they cost about the same. I don't know how much the standard 20" wheels weigh, but if a lighter option is available and cost-effective that could be used as well.

The SS really shouldn't need a whole lot of changes since it's already putting up good #'s.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:25 PM

In addition to the listed, a meaner sounding exhaust would be nice too.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:27 PM

-aluminum k member or whatever it's called on this car engine cradle?
-lightweight wheels
-no power windows
-no rear seats
-strut braces
-light weight racing style seats
maybe some magnet rheological shocks would be nice if they aren't super heavy.
do you see a theme hear?
ADD LIGHTNESS!

Maybe copy Porsche and do a Sport Chrono Plus type of dealio.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:30 PM

Look at the past. Call it the 1LE package. Koni DA shocks. Stiffer bushings and springs. Delete 4 of the 6 airbags and add racing type seats. I am sure weight can be lost in that massive exhaust sytem. Smaller wheels like 19's to help with weight. 275's up front 305's in the rear. 3:73 rear gear. oh yeh the 2 piece rotors would be excellent

Last edited by TOO Z MAXX; 05-28-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Gold_Rush
I don't know how much the standard 20" wheels weigh, but if a lighter option is available and cost-effective that could be used as well.

They weigh right at 30 pounds.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:35 PM

I think the suggested Camaro package on the first post would out-cost the Mustang package. Any idea on the suggested retail that might add up to?

Kevin Webb
2010 Camaro For Sale
Old 05-28-2009, 07:58 PM

Couldn't they remove a lot of the safety features to make it lighter? I mean when the top exotic car companies make a "Track Pack" ussally they dont mess with too many things. They drop the extra goodies, mess with the computers, maybe change the gear ratios, and tighten the suspension. All of which can be done to the camaro under $1,500.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Webb
I think the suggested Camaro package on the first post would out-cost the Mustang package. Any idea on the suggested retail that might add up to?

Kevin Webb
2010 Camaro For Sale
A set of aftermarket forged wheels will run you in the thousands. Those are definitely not happening. Look at how much the optional 21" wheels cost for the car, and add even more to that. I don't think many would be interested in a $6000 track package. I really doubt a fully adjustable suspension would be offered either, as it would be super expensive and overkill. At most, some adjustable shocks like the old 1LE package.

Matched shocks and springs, larger sway bars, tires and some re-tuned steering ought to go a long way to improving the car's handling for a package costing less than $2000. Those upgrades also wouldn't sacrifice much of the car's comfort.

I have to ask though, why is everyone so worried about out turning a Mustang from the factory? The Mustang couldn't out drag a Camaro from the factory for the longest times and that arguably the car's main performance demographic. Mustang sales certainly didn't suffer. If the Camaro ends up a failure, I highly doubt it will be because the Mustang could slalom 3mph faster. I'm sure the General has a few surprises up his sleeves to keep the car fresh and relevant through it's life cycle.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I admit to not being an expert in NASCAR.

Some googling indicates that you're right -- some of them use slotted rotors. I didn't find any evidence that anyone is using cross-drilled rotors, though.
Eh, I'm not an expert in NASCAR either, but I toured RCR last year along with Hendrick Motorsports for a Motorsports class. Now, I do know a little bit about IndyCars
Old 05-28-2009, 10:10 PM

how about...

slp cam
slp headers
hurst shifter (with pool ball grip)
3.73s
radio delete
a/c delete
rear seat delete (since its useless anyways no babies concieved in that one)

then offer the v6
with comparable package or graphics
Old 05-28-2009, 11:42 PM

Radio, ac, and power accessory delete would add cost and a whole new set up to the car, and most likely would not lighten the car up that much.

If you want a light car, contact GM to pick up your Camaro-In-White.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Pirelli is fine, but there's a very good reason that the ZR1 uses the Michelins (along with Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, and everyone else). They are the best street tire there is. I thought (and still think) it is worth considering as an upgrade option..
One thing in the back of my mind is I know 5 coworkers that bought new cars with hi performance directional expensive tires. 2 of them, one Z350, one Altima SE-R have replaced them with cheaper directional tires, 1 07 Vette will replace his tires with cheaper directional tires, and 1 Mitsubishi EVO may replace his tires with equivilent and 1 coworker with a Jag XF who probably will replace his tires with equiivelent performance tires when the time comes. Im thinking I would probably go equivelent or less depending on my finances when replacing the tires.

My money will probably go toward a house at this point but were this a package I was considering, I would not want to loose that value at the end of the tire life. Maybe something like performance Shocks and lighter front end or other light chasis components if possible. Watching my coworkers trade down in quality of performance tires in real world really sticks with me and would be a consideration of mine if I were to look at this. You guys may be different

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 05-29-2009 at 02:41 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
I think that the recal of the steering needs to happen reguardless. 2011 should get revised steering.

CTS-V track package uses a 2 pc rotor design, and has a 5x120mm bolt pattern like the Camaro. Would reduce rotational weight, and paint calipers red like ont he CTS-V
I would go with a higher numerical ratio gear, maybe 3.73 for both cars.
GMPD Cold Air standard, with retuned engine programing to develop 430-440hp.
Lower ride hight, stiffer springs and shocks/struts all the way around. Bilstien perhaps?
Magnaride or mechanical adjustable suspension would drive up the cost of the package way to high.
Think of what you would get for 1500-2k.
I would also like to see a set of PS2's with comp gray wheels, perhaps something similar to the ZR1's BBS style wheel, forged or not. Tire size maybe stepped up front for better steering feel, but rears should be ok.

But id like all this to be strapped with the Z28 badge, not just a SS with track package...
Some good ideas here, though 1LE would probably be a better name than Z28. But if that would be the only kind of Z28 we could work out, it'd be better than nothing and close enough. I think Chevy is gonna have to do something like this just to compete with next years GT since we seem a little behind on the handling already. Also, about 400HP in their lighter-by-300lbs. car is gonna cause us problems. I'd like to see where the 3.73's, CAI, and tune would put the 1/4 for this car alone. I'd guess around 12.6's IMO.

Last edited by IZ28; 05-29-2009 at 05:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Spinoff: what should a Camaro Track Pack include?